advertisement

Washing machine warranty scam

Years ago you could pick up an upright for free, now it's the same for Grands. Not enough room in modern houses.

The downside is that they usually need tuning, and that's going to cost an arm and three legs.

Well you should try getting a tuner around at the moment - ours is sounding somewhat honky tonk (the piano, not the tuner) after 15 months without a tune. It usually gets tuned every 4 months.

I got a scam call recently (not the first) from an Asian sounding Guy claiming he is calling
from domestic something about expired warranty on washing machine. I scam baited this guy and said but my
washing machine is broken, his reply oh so do you have other appliance so at this point
I asked do you watch you tube, he couldnt even understand what I was saying so I called
him a scammer. He did not like that (they never do) and I rang off. I rang the number back
and got a robovoice saying you were called by "Pro regarding sales and marketing press
1 for agent 9 to cancel". I blocked the number and reported it on who called me.co.uk.
No surprises its been reported already.

yes they know the real main company is Domestic and general so they try to pretend. very annoying , i just put the phone down now . life insurance is another

As if PPI wasn't tedious enough, I'm now getting calls offering tax rebates on the PPI.
They were waffling on about employing tax consultants and fees due on successful claims.
I thought, not sure any tax was paid anyway, and is it really worth the effort.

When he started on about National Insurance numbers I dropped the call.

Try them with either “I can’t afford £5 a month” or “I’ve got enough liquid cash I just buy new things when they break”. It’s not on their script flowchart so they tend to abandon efforts. Or hit them with “You’ve only given me one option - good salespeople use what’s called the alternative close, where you present 2 options and try to get the client to choose one.” It blows their tiny minds.

As if PPI wasn't tedious enough, I'm now getting calls offering tax rebates on the PPI.
They were waffling on about employing tax consultants and fees due on successful claims.
I thought, not sure any tax was paid anyway, and is it really worth the effort.

When he started on about National Insurance numbers I dropped the call.

whilst your call was a scam there was a kernel of truth.
You can indeed claim tax back on PPI refunds.
See
https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/...ppi-payout---if-so-you-can-reclaim-the-tax-o/

Perhaps it is worth it then.
If I get a spare moment I will dig out the old PPI papers.
That I'd quite happily forgotten about.

Some of you are sooooo lucky we are literally being bombarded by phone calls from these scammer all day everyday the amount of calls varies from 5 up to 15 calls a day. Always the same an indian or asia accent asking for my maiden name. Despite me telling them repeatedly we have a second hand washing machine they are still calling. Problem is every time we block one number they call from a different one. I just wish they would STOP

yes its taken months to get on top of these scam calls with the chap i care for . we had many calls a day and now we have a phone that demands you announce who you are and often they cant seem to negotiate that . its cut down on calls so much . well worth buy the bt 4600 phone that you can programme

we get a scam call everyday at 9am and its just 2 rings as they dont bother to announce themselves

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt4600-premium-nuisance-call-blocker---twin-084666-BY4J.html

yes its taken months to get on top of these scam calls with the chap i care for . we had many calls a day and now we have a phone that demands you announce who you are and often they cant seem to negotiate that . its cut down on calls so much . well worth buy the bt 4600 phone that you can programme

we get a scam call everyday at 9am and its just 2 rings as they dont bother to announce themselves

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt4600-premium-nuisance-call-blocker---twin-084666-BY4J.html

We have a Tru-call blocker for us and my MIL and they are brilliant. Mine is set to screen so unk callers have to say their name, then I get the call and chance to screen the call. My MIL is just set so the caller just has to press a number after a message saying they should only press if they are not a cold caller. Surprisingly none of the calls ever do and she has a quiet life. I can log into the phone and it screens around 5-10 calls a day her 6 month stats are only 12.4% of all attempted calls are connected, the rest are disconnected or they hang up during the process, she never hears them.

My elderly mum is getting these everyday, in fact I’m at her place now and she’s had three such calls this afternoon. Unfortunately around 6 months ago she was taken in by this washing machine scam and stupidly provided her bank details over the phone to set up a DD, my mum is developing dementia and forgetting what she did the day before for example. To my horror these crooks took around £200 out of her account over a period of 5 months for washing machine insurance that she doesn’t need as it’s under a 5 year warranty. They are the scum of the Earth. As I have permission from her I checked her bank account and the swines had recommenced the DD after I cancelled it under a different account name. Apparently these things are difficult to stop once you authorise them. The washer only cost £300 as it is!. Scum they are and they won’t leave her alone someone must be selling her phone number as it’s ridiculous the amount of this crap she gets.
I bought her a call blocker but as she lives alone since my dad died she answers the phone even though I say they are scams, she just forgets. Something should be done by the Government as one of these days they will be successful and clear her account out!. Frightening it is for family.

My elderly mum is getting these everyday, in fact I’m at her place now and she’s had three such calls this afternoon. Unfortunately around 6 months ago she was taken in by this washing machine scam and stupidly provided her bank details over the phone to set up a DD, my mum is developing dementia and forgetting what she did the day before for example. To my horror these crooks took around £200 out of her account over a period of 5 months for washing machine insurance that she doesn’t need as it’s under a 5 year warranty. They are the scum of the Earth. As I have permission from her I checked her bank account and the swines had recommenced the DD after I cancelled it under a different account name. Apparently these things are difficult to stop once you authorise them. The washer only cost £300 as it is!. Scum they are and they won’t leave her alone someone must be selling her phone number as it’s ridiculous the amount of this crap she gets.
I bought her a call blocker but as she lives alone since my dad died she answers the phone even though I say they are scams, she just forgets. Something should be done by the Government as one of these days they will be successful and clear her account out!. Frightening it is for family.

I really recommend the Tru-Call product. You can set it up to only accept approved numbers or require a code to get through or even divert to your number in case of an urgent call. My FIL when he was alive had several warranties for white good and for a sky box he didn't even own. The stuff I found out once I took over his finances was scary.

https://www.truecall.co.uk/

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/117.htm

I really recommend the Tru-Call product. You can set it up to only accept approved numbers or require a code to get through or even divert to your number in case of an urgent call. My FIL when he was alive had several warranties for white good and for a sky box he didn't even own. The stuff I found out once I took over his finances was scary.

also she is getting a lot of junk brochures coming every month and these are increasing ( Studio / Affibel / easylife and many more selling stuff like extending hosepipes and crap like that. I asked each of these companies to stop sending them as she is confused and not capable of buying things - I was told they would stop and yesterday there was a blank envelope addressed to the occupier and it had and easylife brochure in it!!. To say I was livid is an understatement they all are passing on information between one another I’m sure of it. Oh send a brochure to so and so they are bound to order. It makes me sick I can tell you!.

I’ve ordered one of these truecall secure items hopefully it will work worth a try as it’s driving her insane as well as myself when I’m here

For some odd reason these mainly heavily accented Asians transpose my first and last names (Mr Reed Michaels !!!!). I used to have fun with that but it got tedious; obv. for them, too, as I don't get them now.

also she is getting a lot of junk brochures coming every month and these are increasing ( Studio / Affibel / easylife and many more selling stuff like extending hosepipes and crap like that. I asked each of these companies to stop sending them as she is confused and not capable of buying things - I was told they would stop and yesterday there was a blank envelope addressed to the occupier and it had and easylife brochure in it!!. To say I was livid is an understatement they all are passing on information between one another I’m sure of it. Oh send a brochure to so and so they are bound to order. It makes me sick I can tell you!.
You can opt out of all the crap leaflets that Royal Mail stuff through your letterbox on a regular basis (for which they get a fee of some sort), but it seems you are powerless to stop stuff addressed to The Occupier.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com...leaflets-or-unaddressed-promotional-material?

You can opt out of all the crap leaflets that Royal Mail stuff through your letterbox on a regular basis (for which they get a fee of some sort), but it seems you are powerless to stop stuff addressed to The Occupier.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/293/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-receiving-any-leaflets-or-unaddressed-promotional-material?

what annoyed me is that the package came from the same company who I specifically told to not send anything anymore due to her state of health and they continued sending via the stealth route. I don’t usually open mums mail but thought the package was rather thick and lo and behold an easylife brochure - wish it was an easylife to stop them sending this tat!!
As if the house has changed occupancy in a month she has lived here for 30 years !!!.
I am under the firm belief that these companies offer addresses to similar concerns as she has got numerous such books and she hasn’t even asked for them.

Guess she could forgive Monty Dons Shrubs of the week selection or lettuce Monthly but I guess that’s another thread on here!.

Never thought I’d ever say this but my best move was transferring my broadband and landline to Sky after many years with EE. Sky have blocked almost all scam calls in fact in the last year maybe only four or five have got through which makes the. difficult to leave even though I’m just out of contract. Once my health improves I really must get back to changing again!

I’ve ordered one of these truecall secure items hopefully it will work worth a try as it’s driving her insane as well as myself when I’m here

I am glad you are trying it. It was a game changer for us and I hope it solves the issue for your mum, I am sure it will do.

advertisement

Back