advertisement

Washing machine warranty scam

2ManyBoxes

pfm Member
I've just had an attempted scam call from someone claiming that the warranty on my washing machine has expired. When I asked her which make it is she said Electrolux, which is wrong. When I told her she'd got it wrong she hung up.

This is my first one of this particular type. Are other people getting dozens per day?

I'm just thinking of my poor old Dad who lived on his own for a few years before he died. This would have shaken him up big time.

yes , i have a call several times a week about this washing machine warrenty scam . funnily enough nearly fell for it as i was trying to arrange one but they are such liers its gets my goat

This is a common scam, seems to disappear for awhile then return.

They tried it on while I was round at my Dad`s a while ago so I answered the phone - I said some fairly direct words and she rang off, I then realised the social services woman was looking at me in slight surprise, she was O.K. when I explained.....

Fortunately, now, I deal with his financial affairs so if they do get through to him they just get a long drawn out confused conversation and he couldn`t give them any payment information if he wanted to.

My brother has had rash of calls offering oven cleaning services - he starts off by asking how dare they suggest he has a dirty oven and when they apologise and say no, of course they don`t think he has a dirty oven he then asks why the f*** are they ringing him up then?

yes , i have a call several times a week about this washing machine warrenty scam . funnily enough nearly fell for it as i was trying to arrange one but they are such liers its gets my goat

I have never heard of this scam (no landline and screen mobile calls) but your story reminded me of the time I was a teenager at home in the school holidays and my father asked me to stay in to answer the door for the new carpet to be delivered and fitted.

The door went and there was a man with a brand new carpet in his van. All was going well when my natural caution kicked in after he explained about it being an offcut from a hotel job - this isn’t like my parents, I thought, to buy cast offs.

Thank god I stopped him or the sitting room would have looked like Caesar’s Palace :D

TV licence scam is a regular email as is HMRC tax refund just waiting if I reply to the text.
I also got a text from my credit card asking to approve a spend of over £300 in Boots (!) last month which was odd because both me and my wife were in the house.
I phoned the bank and said nothing was registering at their end and my magnetic strip had probably been read and cloned, whatever that means.

when I get calls like this, and I am listening to music, I say that 'they' want to speak to my partner, then lay the receiver down so that they can listen to the music, ...and listen, and listen...and listen... Once, the fellow was still there 15 minutes later! Must have been a bad day at the orifice.

I had one where they were asking for the previous occupant by name. When I pointed out that he’d moved out years before he then asked if I could still answer his questions. “Well first of all” he says, “do you live in the house?” “Naw mate, I was passing this house, heard a phone ringing, living room window was wide open so I jumped in to answer it just for a laugh”. ... “Oh I understand Sir, anyway what do you currently pay for gas and electric.......?”

Disrupting the script sometimes works, but some of the robots are more heavily programmed.

when I get calls like this, and I am listening to music, I say that 'they' want to speak to my partner, then lay the receiver down so that they can listen to the music, ...and listen, and listen...and listen... Once, the fellow was still there 15 minutes later! Must have been a bad day at the orifice.
Do you torture them with Schnittke?

My parents received a phone call on Monday. Caller, poor English, maybe Indian, said he was from BT, told my mum that I had tried to phone her but there was a problem with the line.
He referred to me by my full name, and knew that I was her son. I hadn’t tried to call them.

My mum told him to do one, but to me it’s just weird and maybe a little worrying.

advertisement

Back