advertisement

Washing machine warranty scam

I was feeling a bit left out having not had the washing machine warranty scam call, so imagine my delight when I got just such a call this morning :)
Their patter has evolved since some of you have asked awkward questions about makes and models, so that when I asked the guy to which washing machine he was referring to he said they don't record the make or model, just the serial number (and proceeded to read out a random selection of numbers and letters). Sadly I didn't have the time to string the call out as I'm supposed to be working, so just hung up after that.

Just got back from my mum's house. The phone rang while I was there and mum was out of the room so I picked it up and it was one of those "your Amazon Prime membership will cease because blah blah blah......" scams. My 92 year old mum only has the vaguest idea what Amazon is, let alone Prime. It was a recorded message but I still said "f***k off" before terminating the call.

I'm seeing an upsurge in these phone calls and email scams, after an initial quiet period post COVID. It just me?

I was feeling a bit left out having not had the washing machine warranty scam call, so imagine my delight when I got just such a call this morning :)
Their patter has evolved since some of you have asked awkward questions about makes and models, so that when I asked the guy to which washing machine he was referring to he said they don't record the make or model, just the serial number (and proceeded to read out a random selection of numbers and letters). Sadly I didn't have the time to string the call out as I'm supposed to be working, so just hung up after that.

“Sorry I’ve got a different serial number here, have you got a pen to write this down? It’s B zero L L zero X. In fact I see there’s a load of them. LOAD OF BOLLOCKS. Bye.”

I'm seeing an upsurge in these phone calls and email scams, after an initial quiet period post COVID. It just me?

Not just you, we`ve had a recent splurge of "This is your internet provider, there is suspicious activity on your account and we will cut of your broad band within the next 24 hours - please press 2 to speak to an agent" type of stuff.

I just leave it run it`s course - no point in swearing at an automated call. (though I do sometimes).

There is yet another scam going around - I have been called twice with it in the last ten days :-
- Very well spoken young lady - Hello, I am calling from HMRC, who am I speaking to?
The owner of this mobile.
We have this number on file as belonging to a person who is about to face jail for non payment of a HMRC fine of £750.00 - would you like to pay now?
It goes on - but I agreed to pay (not) and made out ready with the C/C
What Is the name on the card?
Mike - Sorry - Michael.
And the last name?
let me spell that for you
M-O-U-S-E-R.
The long card number?
Random digits
etc..
Sorry sir, that card does not work.
Well of course it doesn't you stooooopid (multiple swear words)
Line goes dead.

When I am in the mood I go all Gallagher Brothers on them.

Imaging - top of my voice:

Yoose need to speak wiv me bruvvoh!

A doe'n't no awt abawt it

Ish nawt tudooh wiv me, like

Has anyone had a call from Sergeant X from the Met, advising that his credit card has been used in a suspicious transaction? I've had that one two or three times.
Ask them what station they're based at, and then ask if Constable Y is still there, saying that he was in your team when you were the custody sergeant.

I got a scam call recently (not the first) from an Asian sounding Guy claiming he is calling
from domestic something about expired warranty on washing machine. I scam baited this guy and said but my
washing machine is broken, his reply oh so do you have other appliance so at this point
I asked do you watch you tube, he couldnt even understand what I was saying so I called
him a scammer. He did not like that (they never do) and I rang off. I rang the number back
and got a robovoice saying you were called by "Pro regarding sales and marketing press
1 for agent 9 to cancel". I blocked the number and reported it on who called me.co.uk.
No surprises its been reported already.

My local Facebook marketplace is carrying an advert for a Baby Grand Piano - free! Looks rather nice too it does.

Years ago you could pick up an upright for free, now it's the same for Grands. Not enough room in modern houses.

The downside is that they usually need tuning, and that's going to cost an arm and three legs.

A bit the other way around, but anyway:

At the office of my previous employer we had a tech guy to specifically help out with computer problems. Fast and efficient.
Then they started a call service in India you had to call instead, to save money. You couldn't understand their english and even if you could, there was a big problem reporting verbally to the person what your problem was. Etc, etc. And if they actually managed to solve the problem it took ages.
You only called the help service about once, and then you went to the old tech guy...

advertisement

Back