advertisement

Voter suppression: UK Voter ID

Some interesting shenanigans going on in Redcar, the only council yet to declare after three recounts (Sam Coates via Twitter).

Some interesting shenanigans going on in Redcar, the only council yet to declare after three recounts (Sam Coates via Twitter).
Three (!) recounts of an absolutely tiny ballot with an ex-Kipper-turned Tory candidate tag teaming with the wife as fellow councillor. One of the most deprived areas in Britain, yet they elect Tory/ukip councillors and a Tory MP who has a voting record inimical to their interests.

I wondered why there was still one council left to declare on the BBC stats. It looks fishier than the contents of Baldrick's plum duff...

Clicking through some of those Twitter links to a results list I see many turnouts in that area of between 15-35%.

That’s depressing in itself.

More from Good Law Project regarding a legal challenge against Tory voter suppression (Twitter). Link to a Guardian article on the topic in the link too.

Rather larger than the number that could've swayed the 2017 election so probably worth doing for the tories. Hopefully those turned away will feel stronger in their resolve to vote and get others out too. This could backfire in the GE and we could get "the real conservatives" tm K Starmer buoyed by the reaction.

I haven’t followed the entire thread. Does anyone else believe the current ID requirements are merely introductory & that they will only become tighter?

Has Labour promised to repeal this legislation?

Bit late for Brexit though :(

Kind of the opposite of the fact that 2 million or so U.K. nationals who lived in the EU at the time couldn’t vote in the referendum.

Have to say that since Labour’s chief policy advisor nowadays seems to be the ghost of Norman Tebbit, I struggle to see the proposal getting very far.

Then again, it is cynical to the core (I don’t believe for a moment they give a shit about the principle, they just think saying it will work) and effectively gerrymandering, so it does suit from some angles.

I haven’t followed the entire thread. Does anyone else believe the current ID requirements are merely introductory & that they will only become tighter?

Has Labour promised to repeal this legislation?
Well...yes and no.

I’ve not got a solid quote or video for this yet, but apparently Rees Mogg has admitted voter id was gerrymandering at the far-right Nat-C conference over the weekend (Twitter).

How does voter ID checking enable gerrymandering?

It clearly does if you don't fund a common id for all and in a timely manner. Councils were just left to cope with the fallout - half of those turned away appeared to be from minority ethnic backgrounds, as #289 says.

It clearly does if you don't fund a common id for all and in a timely manner. Councils were just left to cope with the fallout - half of those turned away appeared to be from minority ethnic backgrounds, as #289 says.

Apologies for the pedantry but "gerrymandering" has a specific meaning - the manipulation of electoral district boundaries for advantage - initial data shows that voter ID has a similar effect, but is not the same thing.

advertisement

Back