advertisement

Voter suppression: UK Voter ID

The council has been cost cutting, and has done some really daft things like close the loos on the seafront. I think it's a reaction to that rather than some sort of weird anti-green agenda.
Not sure what you mean by a weird anti-Green agenda. But voting an incumbent Green party out of office based on a dislike of their policies whilst in office could reasonably be construed as anti-Green. I have voted Green several times in the past BTW, but as I said- Greens are a curate’s egg.

There is a real problem for all parties implementing Tory cuts in local government. Inevitably they will get blamed from some sections (which is exactly why the Tories do it!)

Tories still got more seats than Labour though. And clearly their MP isn’t an independent.

That's the Brexit effect, he is toast now that debacle is done. Not a single Tory leaflet through and the Ashfield Independents are relentless, I think my Dad alone did something like 10k individually addressed leaflets for them.

There is a real problem for all parties implementing Tory cuts in local government. Inevitably they will get blamed from some sections (which is exactly why the Tories do it!)
Agreed. But there is also the danger of the cynicism it breeds when people vote Green or Labour in the hope of a break from neoliberalism then witness Green and Labour (or SNP) behaving no different in office from the Tories. This then creates openings for UKIP/ Reform UK’s “ they’re all the same, we told you so” arguments.

The Greens had a real opportunity to make a stand in Brighton. A unitary authority of its size possesses sufficient reserves to enable it to avoid cuts. It could have acted as a flagship of resistance inspiring others to do the same. They chose not to. Of course there’s no guarantee that such a strategy would have succeeded. If you fight, you may not win. But if you don’t fight, you definitely lose.

That's the Brexit effect, he is toast

Won't somebody please think of the hundred of Conservative MPs with large mortgages and school fees to pay? If things don't change over the next 18 months many of them will be out on their ear. Many of them almost entirely unemployable. No more six figure expense account. No more subsidised HoC bar. No more brown envelopes of cash from industry lobbyists. Is that really what we want to see happen?

Last edited:
Won't somebody please think of the hundred of Conservative MPs with large mortgages and school fees to pay? If things don't change over the next over the next 18 months many of them will be out on their ear. Many of them almost entirely unemployable. No more six figure expense account. No more subsidised HoC bar. No more brown envelopes of cash from industry lobbyists. Is that really what we want to see happen?

There'll be loads of food banks for them though.

Agreed. But there is also the danger of the cynicism it breeds when people vote Green or Labour in the hope of a break from neoliberalism then witness Green and Labour (or SNP) behaving no different in office from the Tories. This then creates openings for UKIP/ Reform UK’s “ they’re all the same, we told you so” arguments.

The Greens had a real opportunity to make a stand in Brighton. A unitary authority of its size possesses sufficient reserves to enable it to avoid cuts. It could have acted as a flagship of resistance inspiring others to do the same. They chose not to. Of course there’s no guarantee that such a strategy would have succeeded. If you fight, you may not win. But if you don’t fight, you definitely lose.
Indeed. I’m a broken record on this but I think one of the biggest drivers of disaffection with the system, and especially with Labour, is that lots of people - especially those who have most contact with councils - quite reasonably don’t make much of a distinction between local and national when it comes to the parties and to elections. I’ve heard people say they’re going to vote Tory at a GE “for a change” after nearly a decade of Tory government. Labour not only fail to address this indistinction but positively reinforce it, by campaigning for local elections promising more money for the NHS. What do they think people are going to do when they vote Labour and 2 years later still can’t get a GP appointment?

Austerity is a huge factor in all this as is the imbalance between national and local power but as you say, “progressive” parties don’t have to lean into it quite so hard. The Greens might have taken a stand in Brighton, Labour could make a big, nationally coordinated offer for local councils (e.g. rolling out the Preston model) and try to clean up local corruption and incompetence. But right wing, crooked and/or incompetent councillors represent one of the Labour right’s main power bases so it will never happen.

But sorry your point was about the Greens and I’ve done another Labour rant.

I think I'd favour a total boycott - let the Tories run their own sh1t show for a while. It could be a better sort of coordinated campaign based around the maintaining of service levels that the Tories couldn't manage to deliver. However, the local councils are the bases of the Labour right so the chance of having a stand on anything at all is remote as a remote thing. It's running the broken services that creates the apathy and they're all the same etc in the same way that the inevitable disaffection in a Starmer Government wlll embolden the far right

The Tory plan to fix the election by stopping young people from voting through the carefully chosen accepted IDs has failed totally.
My new council, Lewes has got rid of every single Tory councillor which is definitely worth celebrating.
Well worth celebrating, I love Lewes. I’m not sure tho’ whether its demographic is one likely to have been negatively affected by voter ID.

UKIP appear to have been totally wiped out.

6d7qj5.jpg

advertisement

Back