advertisement

Voter suppression: UK Voter ID

The problem with the 16-18 age group legally is that it's a kind of no man's land between childhood and adulthood. Contracts are not enforceable on under 18s, but at 16 you can get married, work a full time and pay income tax, join the army.

Some of that is no longer strcitly true.

The minimum legal age for marriage in the UK is now 18 (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...ge-and-civil-partnership-minimum-age-act-2022).
It is illegal to leave full time education before you are 18 (https://thinkstudent.co.uk/what-happens-if-you-leave-education-before-18) although you can enter an apprenticeship, which is what happens to under 18s in the armed forces.

18 now seems to be the direction of travel for the legal age for adulthood and true autonomy.

Unless you want to set standards for peoples competence to vote, and assess it, age is useful proxy. Whether that age should be 16, 18 or 25 (when a human brain is fully developed), I really dunno.
Yes, this was my initial thinking too. But we no longer prevent women, or the working man from voting on the basis that they can't be trusted to know their own mind. Adults with learning difficulties are legally eligible to vote, so why not children? Or, if not children, then perhaps young people approaching adulthood? A 14 or 15 year old has a greater stake in the future than an 85 year old, but only one of them can have a say in the future direction of the country. Most human rights are not age-dependent, and many 14 year olds are mature enough to make reasonable decisions in the polling booth; even if not all of them are, you could say much the same about old people.

maybe anyone over 60 counts as half a vote, 70 0.25 - over 80s banned from voting....

I’ve heard those arguments in some quarters and I don’t agree with them. I believe everyone should be allowed to vote.

To put it another way I don’t think anyone should be expected to pay tax, allowed to join the military etc unless they’ve had the opportunity to cast at least one vote. In a five year election cycle that obviously means allowing the vote five years before whatever that age is defined at to ensure the opportunity was presented to everyone. No taxation without representation etc.

Unless you want to set standards for peoples competence to vote, and assess it, age is useful proxy. Whether that age should be 16, 18 or 25 (when a human brain is fully developed), I really dunno.

Brexit suggests there should also be an older cutoff for people who've gone a bit Alf Garnett.

advertisement

Back