advertisement

Vitus SIA-025 and Speakers

I have been running one of these for 18 months. It has a lovely rich tone that reminds me of valves rather than solid state. The UI transformer is at the heart of the design. Don’t forget there is also an A/B mode where the output rises to 150 watts channel. Hans Vitus used a punishing load during R & D SF Extrema. The transformer means the voltage holds up on the voltage rail. Any questions ask away.

Best to factor in isolation feet and Entreq Poseidon to max out its performance.

To bring things back to the OP’s original question. Yes, I think you are right to doubt, but not rule out, the combo of Vitus amp and Vivid speakers. You should definately expect a home demo at these prices and, at the least, a good shop demo that uses your amp. The last time I heard Vivid speakers was about a month ago and they were using pretty powerful class D amps (certainly not 50w into 8 Ohms). When Vivid were launched Devialet was their regular demo amp.

Edit: you haven’t actually given very many pertinent details like, what music you like to listen to, how loud you like to listen and, perhaps most importantly, how big your room is. The reason I mention this last point is because the last Vivid demo I heard was in quite a large room and the bass was so powerful and extended it was disassembling the false ceiling in the room! So I think it’s fair to say they need a pretty big room - which also suggests they need pretty high wattage - but not if you listen to chamber music quietly.....

Foxman
A good pal who doesn’t post here often is about to start a home dem of Boenicke 8s. He uses Vitus Signature stuff so that experience will be relevant (and I’m invited). He currently uses Super 20s.
More later.

Oh, how interesting. I know who you mean (I think) and I suspect he will be impressed. In the UK the Boenicke stuff is expensive for what it is though (its hardly alone in this regard mind you).

Foxman
A good pal who doesn’t post here often is about to start a home dem of Boenicke 8s. He uses Vitus Signature stuff so that experience will be relevant (and I’m invited). He currently uses Super 20s.
More later.

Interested to hear the outcome after this, currently using vitus and s20’s and not sure what speakers I might upgrade to at some point

Paul, Steve has a small listening room and the S20s work very well. He tried some Tidal and reports they were great (I didn’t hear them) but stupidly expensive. Duckworp’s thread has raised an itch he just has to scratch - but I wouldn’t be surprised if he put a f++k it on the whole process and continues with the S20s because they sound great as is.

Sia025 is beautifull sounding amp and it is more capable to drive speakers than you would think from vitus specification. Do not listen to theorethical 'experts'...

I have Franco Serblin Ktema, if you want you can test them with your amp at my place (south london) you are welcome.
KenniGT, many thanks for the generous offer but i do not own the amp at this time.

Certainly very interesting speakers you have there sir.

I have been running one of these for 18 months. It has a lovely rich tone that reminds me of valves rather than solid state. The UI transformer is at the heart of the design. Don’t forget there is also an A/B mode where the output rises to 150 watts channel. Hans Vitus used a punishing load during R & D SF Extrema. The transformer means the voltage holds up on the voltage rail. Any questions ask away.

Best to factor in isolation feet and Entreq Poseidon to max out its performance.
Cyclopse, i was not aware of that. What speakers are you using if you don't mind me asking.

To bring things back to the OP’s original question. Yes, I think you are right to doubt, but not rule out, the combo of Vitus amp and Vivid speakers. You should definately expect a home demo at these prices and, at the least, a good shop demo that uses your amp. The last time I heard Vivid speakers was about a month ago and they were using pretty powerful class D amps (certainly not 50w into 8 Ohms). When Vivid were launched Devialet was their regular demo amp.

Edit: you haven’t actually given very many pertinent details like, what music you like to listen to, how loud you like to listen and, perhaps most importantly, how big your room is. The reason I mention this last point is because the last Vivid demo I heard was in quite a large room and the bass was so powerful and extended it was disassembling the false ceiling in the room! So I think it’s fair to say they need a pretty big room - which also suggests they need pretty high wattage - but not if you listen to chamber music quietly.....
Very good point. To clarify, ive carried out extensive home demo of the G's which work perfectly in 4 x 8m approx room at what I consider adequate listening levels. This being driven by a Vitus RI-101 which is not only able to put a vice like grip on the speakers but play well beyond a level i wish to listen at.

I think listening level is one thing, but what concerns me more with the SIA-025 is will it have enough control. From what ive read this may not be a concern at all.

Yes, Mark it’s Steve. He read Duckworp’s thread and took it from there.
Yes i have spoken to Duckworp who uses the active W13's i believe so no load issue with these. I had considered these but the misses put her foot down, and when they do that well a brave man indeed.

Must admit the Vitus look more appealing (visually) and if you wife has any say in these matters Audionet will probably be ruled out on these grounds ..!

Very good point. To clarify, ive carried out extensive home demo of the G's which work perfectly in 4 x 8m approx room at what I consider adequate listening levels. This being driven by a Vitus RI-101 which is not only able to put a vice like grip on the speakers but play well beyond a level i wish to listen at.

I think listening level is one thing, but what concerns me more with the SIA-025 is will it have enough control. From what ive read this may not be a concern at all.

It's been said before but you will never know till you get a home demo. If you are in the UK I'm sure Richard at Lotus will let you demo one. Unless the SIA-025 running in class A mode comfortably runs your G3s there is little point in buying one.

I've been following this thread with interest (and have posted a more ergonomic question on Vitus stuff recently). As this thread mainly revolves around suitability of Vitus amps to specific speakers, I wonder if I can ask if anyone has any experience or thoughts on Vitus's suitability to (Quad) ESLs; specifically the more recent ones ?

25 watts (class A) doesn't seem much, but the original Quad II had less and was designed for/with the original ESL (later 57s). Absolute Sounds' review suggested that comparing the RI-101 and SIA-025 was more 'horses for courses' regarding room size, listening levels and speaker couplings despite the disparity in price. Nowhere have I read of Vitus's sonic and output compatibility with large modern ESLs (or hybrids, even).

It's been said before but you will never know till you get a home demo. If you are in the UK I'm sure Richard at Lotus will let you demo one. Unless the SIA-025 running in class A mode comfortably runs your G3s there is little point in buying one.
Im picking up a loan 025 today, unfortunately the G3's have had to be returned. It will be difficult to organise together though not impossible

Didn't realise you were demoing the G3s so what will you be using with the amp when you get it?

advertisement

Back