advertisement

Vitus SIA-025 and Speakers

Foxman50

pfm Member
Have thought about upgrading to the SIA-025, but wondered what speakers owners are using this amp with. I know it is only rated at 25W in class A, however these are Vitus Watts so all bets are off.

Would 87db 4ohm load be too much for them.

Anyone with experience, i'd appreciate input.

Avalon is a common recommendation. For a small to medium size room the Ideas are excellent. Ive recently bought a pair and am really happy with them. I wouldn’t worry too much about the 25w class A if you look at user comments around the web it seems that there are not many speakers that the SIA025 can’t handle. Magico are also another favourite.

http://www.audioshark.org/vitus-audio-180/what-speakers-work-well-sia-025-a-13870.html

This thread is also worth a look as the OP also uses an SIA025

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum...nicke-magico-proac-sonus-faber-wilson.219111/

Many thanks for the links. Its really to get an idea of what this amp can drive. My last Class A was a Sugden SS which ran out of steam on heavy loads. Previous Valve designs obviously do not have the drive.

Must admit the DAC board for the RI-100 is not worth the money, however I love the amp. Saying that not heard the AudioNet.

Really you need to compare your current amp with a much more powerful unit, if the Vitus is clipping you should be able to hear that compared to the speaker being properly driven, ‘Vitus’ watts are still just watts.
Keith

I'd say that room size is a consideration as well, are you trying to fill a ballroom?

Edit: Noticed that Myrman mentioned that as well. :)

25 pure class A watts is big current so should be fine from 86db 4 ohms up

It will certainly draw plenty of current, but most of that will be used to heat the room. What matters is how much current is available to drive the speakers. Since we are talking about Vitus, I expect it will scale nicely into lower impedance loads, up to a point anyway. 86dB / 4 Ohm speakers might work at closer range, but I would recommend going for something with either higher sensitivity, higher impedance or both, in order to get the best results.

How many times have we been around the subject of how many Watts?

Lets tackle this a little differently. A speaker that is rated at 86dB/W/m is only 0.0025 efficient so that 1 W in becomes 2.5mW of acoustic energy into the room. A piano generates around 0.44W of acoustic energy so if you want to emulate that in your own room you'll need 0.44/0.0025 W into the speakers = 176W crazy as it sounds(!).

From another view point say you are listening to some music at 1W into the speakers then there is a short 20dB peak i.e. dynamic range You'll need a 100W to handle that and if the peak is 30dB then you'll need 1000W.This is just by way of example to get the idea across.

Power is power and the only difference between one amplifier class and another is quality i.e. class A is the best but class AB is good enough for most of us.

Cheers,

DV

It will certainly draw plenty of current, but most of that will be used to heat the room. What matters is how much current is available to drive the speakers. Since we are talking about Vitus, I expect it will scale nicely into lower impedance loads, up to a point anyway. 86dB / 4 Ohm speakers might work at closer range, but I would recommend going for something with either higher sensitivity, higher impedance or both, in order to get the best results.
Yes, unfortunately I have speakers in mind. Just seeing what others with this particular amp are using or experience of.

Really you need to compare your current amp with a much more powerful unit, if the Vitus is clipping you should be able to hear that compared to the speaker being properly driven, ‘Vitus’ watts are still just watts.
Keith
No clipping. Yes but it can give the wrong impression

Vivid Audio Giya G3

They have 87dB sensitivity, as you say, but the 4 Ohm figure you quoted is actually their minimum impedance, rather than the more commonly quoted nominal impedance, which is 6 Ohm in this case. On that basis, I think they will be fine unless you enjoy playing exceptionally loud or you need to sit a long way away from them.

advertisement

Back