advertisement

Vitus SIA-025 and Speakers

Yes it in this case, look at page 3 here: http://www.vitusaudio.com/files/6422/upload/Ny/Signature/SIA-025 - Best of High End (ENG) - 2017.pdf
The PSU/transformer is impresive to say the least..

"25 pure class A watts is big current so should be fine from 86db 4 ohms up" You have't the faintest idea what you are talking about...

25W is 1.77A @ 8R, 2.5A @ 4R irrespective of anything to do with the amp driving it. It makes no difference whether it's valve, SS, class A, A/B, D, a 30W amp or a 300W amp.

The amp in question is WAY over priced and the transformer needlessly and ridiculously too big just to help justify the price. Hey if you're going to charge £19,000 may as well fit a £300 transformer instead of the £50 one that's perfectly adequate... "feel the weight of that!"

This is exactly why i am asking to hear what those who have this amp are using it with and not just relying on specs, as i can work the theory out myself.

As to its value, its value is whatever im prepared to pay for it.

This is exactly why i am asking to hear what those who have this amp are using it with and not just relying on specs, as i can work the theory out myself.

An interesting interpretation of value... I'd say it's worth maybe £5-7K, based on the type of components used, likely development costs, allowance for dealer margin etc etc.... If you'r happy with paying a figure they've picked out of the air and thought "can we really get away with charging that?"...
Can I interest you in some old rope I have for sale?:D

Yes i am and no you can’t

But just to add since when has BOM and development really been the equivalent of sale price. If i like the sound of something i have to decide if im willing to pay the sum thats being asked. It may add up to £5K, but if I can’t find it for £5K i have to or be willing to pay the asking price.

Don't get too fussed about Arkless. No one know as much as him, he's like the messiah of amplification ....

Unlike you who regularly posts on technical matters which you patently know absolutely fcuk all about.

Do you go on car forums as well and recommend mixing cross ply and radials on the same axle? And probably then have a go at Michelin R+D engineers when they tell you how wrong that is?

If your maths stretches to polar and cartesian coordinates then you probably can. However from the speakers impedance and phase angle curves I think that the amp in pure class A mode will struggle at anywear near realistic levels mainly around 200Hz and below and that covers quite a few instruments as well as male voice. You could try the amp in AB mode but its a case of suck-it-and-see and thats where buying s/h is so useful. However you are putting the cart before the horse as you need to find a speaker that suits your room and then partner that with a suitable amp. In my own case I have amps that are capable of outputting a lot more than this Vitus can not for the volume but for the control my amps have over the speakers.

Cheers,

DV

Unlike you who regularly posts on technical matters which you patently know absolutely fcuk all about.

Do you go on car forums as well and recommend mixing cross ply and radials on the same axle? And probably then have a go at Michelin R+D engineers when they tell you how wrong that is?

touchy fcuker arent you.... you know nothing about me or my history, so please feel free to go forth and multiply

touchy fcuker arent you.... you know nothing about me or my history, so please feel free to go forth and multiply

I know you have no grasp of Ohm's Law and yet it doesn't stop you for a millisecond from posting your opinion on matters of electronics... as we've seen in a few recent threads.

Well I'm off to read "The Ladybird Book of Medicine", after which I'll join a forum for surgeons and enlighten them a bit with my new knowledge... I've worked out some good replies like "just cos you've been a consultant surgeon for 30 years I suppose you think you're a bleedin expert eh pal?"

If your maths stretches to polar and cartesian coordinates then you probably can. However from the speakers impedance and phase angle curves I think that the amp in pure class A mode will struggle at anywear near realistic levels mainly around 200Hz and below and that covers quite a few instruments as well as male voice. You could try the amp in AB mode but its a case of suck-it-and-see and thats where buying s/h is so useful. However you are putting the cart before the horse as you need to find a speaker that suits your room and then partner that with a suitable amp. In my own case I have amps that are capable of outputting a lot more than this Vitus can not for the volume but for the control my amps have over the speakers.

Cheers,

DV
Thanks DV, you make very good points but all this relies on the figures Vitus publish being correct which i am less than convinced of.

I have found speakers and they work perfectly in the location they are to be used, that decision is pretty much set.

Arkless by all means add any technical details you wish too, but please leave your personal opinions about a product you know nothing of to yourself mate. Whether deliberate or not you always seem to rub people up the wrong way.

How many times have we been around the subject of how many Watts?

Lets tackle this a little differently. A speaker that is rated at 86dB/W/m is only 0.0025 efficient so that 1 W in becomes 2.5mW of acoustic energy into the room. A piano generates around 0.44W of acoustic energy so if you want to emulate that in your own room you'll need 0.44/0.0025 W into the speakers = 176W crazy as it sounds(!).

From another view point say you are listening to some music at 1W into the speakers then there is a short 20dB peak i.e. dynamic range You'll need a 100W to handle that and if the peak is 30dB then you'll need 1000W.This is just by way of example to get the idea across.

Power is power and the only difference between one amplifier class and another is quality i.e. class A is the best but class AB is good enough for most of us.

Cheers,

DV
Man.

With all that math who needs practical experience?

It's gonna really suck when the OP gets the speakers he likes and somehow manages to find out that they play as loud as he needs and that they sound pretty good.

Arkless by all means add any technical details you wish too, but please leave your personal opinions about a product you know nothing of to yourself mate. Whether deliberate or not you always seem to rub people up the wrong way.

When hell freezes over maybe:p As I'm perfectly capable of designing a rival to the Vitus I know rather more than most on the matter as it happens...

Yes we all know how wonderful and talented you are and that no one on the planet knows more about stuff than you because your an ELECTRONICS ENGINEER. Hopefully thats covered everything so lets move on please.

Sia025 is beautifull sounding amp and it is more capable to drive speakers than you would think from vitus specification. Do not listen to theorethical 'experts'...

I have Franco Serblin Ktema, if you want you can test them with your amp at my place (south london) you are welcome.

...but he does have a good grasp of Ohm's law and Watt's law. His amperage calculations are correct.

Arkless seems to know everything about everything, so we best not undermine his lordship. Personally i think he deserves an honorary doctorship in electronic engineering. My father studied for his....

advertisement

Back