advertisement

Vinyl did beat Hi Resolution...

I've no idea why you should think this or why you would assume all peoples on a hifi forum would have an interest or enjoy classical music. It's not like there's not any other genres too be interested in.
In my modest collection of music I have work ranging from Ella Fitzgerald (I think that's the only 'Jazz') , some Blues, Rock 'n' Roll, Pop, Psychedelia, Motown, Soul, Rock, Heavy Rock, Heavy Metal, Punk, New Wave, Indie, Electronica, Thrash, Grunge, Trip hop, Singer/songwriter, Drum & Bass, Dance, Country and the odd film soundtrack.
I've always tried to take an open minded approach to music in general but I've always preferred music with a Lyrical content, though it's great when an artist is a virtuoso on a given instrument it doesn't always follow that makes an Artist "great" imho, it's really important that they actually have something to say and an individual sound. I've always found in most genres that there's a few that really stand out and lots of wannabees and copy cats.
I will try Mahler's 4 and Beethoven's 7, any recommendations for particular Orchestras or conductors of these?
I will recommend conductors...apologies if I was condescending..

In the hope of moving this along slightly
@k90tour
Can you help me with this. Which particular parallels between Raiders of the Lost ark and Parsifal do see apart from
1) Grail theme (plot not music)
2) use of reminiscence motifs (I use this term rather than leitmotif to distinguish the idea of having a chunk of music associated with a character or thing from the more sophisticated technique of musical developent and transformation from one reminiscence motif to another, thereby paralleling a dramatic or philosophical development or causal relationship between the objects of the motifs -eg Ring>plot>murder)

It's a long time since i last saw Raiders, but ATM I don't really get anything much about holy fools, good friday, joy in suffering, castration(?) wounds, Ahasuerus.
Are there any particular musical quotatons? Genuine question. I'm aware of a lot of spilt ink on the subject of Star wars /wagner music parallels but the Raiders/parsifal one is new to me.

Just the style.
There are bits that sound like no-one else other than JW but there are sections where he is trying to sound like Wagner. And no-one can do that.
It's not the use of Leitmotives, Wagner tubas or anything like that. You just have to listen to them both. Parsifal first and then Raiders.
By the way, I've moved on.

I'd love to get into classical music, or at least attempt to, are the two you've mentioned a good starting point?

Thanks
It all depends on so much. But for a Fall fan I'm thinking the Rite of Spring maybe (Stravinsky himself conducting Columbia SO, just because).

I've no idea why you should think this or why you would assume all peoples on a hifi forum would have an interest or enjoy classical music. It's not like there's not any other genres too be interested in.
In my modest collection of music I have work ranging from Ella Fitzgerald (I think that's the only 'Jazz') , some Blues, Rock 'n' Roll, Pop, Psychedelia, Motown, Soul, Rock, Heavy Rock, Heavy Metal, Punk, New Wave, Indie, Electronica, Thrash, Grunge, Trip hop, Singer/songwriter, Drum & Bass, Dance, Country and the odd film soundtrack.
I've always tried to take an open minded approach to music in general but I've always preferred music with a Lyrical content, though it's great when an artist is a virtuoso on a given instrument it doesn't always follow that makes an Artist "great" imho, it's really important that they actually have something to say and an individual sound. I've always found in most genres that there's a few that really stand out and lots of wannabees and copy cats.
I will try Mahler's 4 and Beethoven's 7, any recommendations for particular Orchestras or conductors of these?
George szell, Cleveland Orchestra for Mahler 4
Abbado, Berlin Philharmonic for Beethoven 7

I'm convinced you are trolling just for the shits and giggles. Mind-you, what would I know about music?
If you like John Williams, ABBA, Mantovani..etc if it floats your boat.jolly good! All I can say if I was a fan of JW I would keep.it under my hat..as I would feel ashamed..but I detest his music .so no shame is required.

The problem is that "classical" (sic) music actually covers a vast range of types, styles, etc. You might love Bach and hate Shotakovich (or vice versa). You may lover Beethoiven Piano Sonatas but hate Finzi's Clarinet Concerto (or vice versa). Similarly some recordings of a work may leave you bored whilst someone else's you find gripping.

Listen to the mid-morning programmes on R3 for a while. That covers a vast range, often in short items that contrast. You may find a lot tedious, but then find some gems. You can listen to works via the webpages, so hop about and skip the ones you got bored by or hated after a short listen.

I think it's the "vastness" that's always put me off investigating this genre
Quite literally, where do you start?
I'll take your advice re R3 etc and see what I can find
Thanks for your reply

If you like John Williams, ABBA, Mantovani..etc if it floats your boat.jolly good! All I can say if I was a fan of JW I would keep.it under my hat..as I would feel ashamed..but I detest his music .so no shame is required.
You really do need to do a bit of reading and listening. If you think Williams is just a film "hack" and not also a world-class classical composer, you are seriously ill-informed. Mind you, it's possible he is not a ukulele virtuoso...so there is that.

If Beethoven met Williams, he might be interested in the money Williams has made..would Beethoven have any interest in low brow music, written by hacks? Of course not...
What, like Wellington's Victory? (which is far from being the only example of hackmusik in LvB's considerable output).

Edit: Ah, beaten to it, I now see... :)

I can't recall who it was who said of Wagner 'He has wonderful moments, and terrible half-hours'; one of the Italian opera composers maybe...
Rossini. Quarter hours, I think.

Tchaikovsky on Brahms: "That talentless bastard..." :)

(I have some sympathy for Tchaikovsky's view)

My…this thread has moved on at a lick since yesterday. John Williams is one of the great film composers. Much of his music is so iconic. You here it and you know the film but it is at its best when you hear with the film. I especially love some of the music from Schindler’s List. His music is, however, derivative, almost uncomfortably so at times.The recent R3 documentary was very revealing. He came across as a great arranger of musical segments.But when you have composers such as Korngold, Bernstein and Vaughan Williams who have all scored films, it’s a different level really. Wagner was a genius and the Ring Cycle is rightly seen as one of the greatest achievements of music. Deryck Cooke’s wonderful survey of the leitmotifs is superb.I like Johnny Greenwood’s scores. Really interesting.

I find much of Bruckner glorious. I often tire of Mahler, enough angst sometimes. Maybe it's the more classical form of Bruckner that does it.
Bruckner is glorious..maybe try a different conductor for Mahler? Some conductors find the angst and a few find the incredible beauty in Mahlers music..

advertisement

Back