advertisement

Vinyl did beat Hi Resolution...

Bruckner is glorious..maybe try a different conductor for Mahler? Some conductors find the angst and a few find the incredible beauty in Mahlers music..
Yes.Listen to Bernstein’s 60s set with the NYO or Barbirolli. For Bruckner, there’s the glory of Giulini in the 8th and 9th. Jochum and Wand also offer great sets.

Radio 3 breakfast is your absolute friend. I would do that over any specific repertoire recommendations. Especially if they include Mahler!
What? Sniffy about marvelous Mahler..but joyous about John Williams!!! You never cease to amaze me! It takes alsorts to make a world I suppose..

It's good to be passionate about things. Classical music, as has been pointed out, is such a vast field that it's unsurprising that not everyone will like the same things. Even eminent composers were often at each other's throats (I can't recall who it was who said of Wagner 'He has wonderful moments, and terrible half-hours'; one of the Italian opera composers maybe).

(With me, it's more about literature. I can quite understand someone not getting on with, say, P G Wodehouse, or James Joyce, but if someone says they can't be doing with Shakespeare, I think they're just not trying hard enough).
It was George Bernard Shaw...

You really do need to do a bit of reading and listening. If you think Williams is just a film "hack" and not also a world-class classical composer, you are seriously ill-informed. Mind you, it's possible he is not a ukulele virtuoso...so there is that.
Being patronised by somebody who is a big fan of John Williams..do you not see the absurdity?

Personally, I find Wagner and Mahler tedious. Ditto for Bruckner whose's symphonies all seem to me to be stuck in a 2/4 rut. 8-] They all wander about for ages making gestures, then often go off and die somewhere.

But "classical" music is a *vast* canvas. e.g. few people listen to Rubbra's symphonies, but I enjoy most of them.
Wow...you find Mahler tedious? Have you listened to Mahlers 2nd symphony? And people call me ignorant! All the hobgoblins are crawling out of the safety of classic fm today....

What? Sniffy about marvelous Mahler..but joyous about John Williams!!! You never cease to amaze me! It takes alsorts to make a world I suppose..
You need to keep up. I never said I was sniffy about Mahler. Merely that he isn't on my list of recommendations to a classical novice.

advertisement

Back