advertisement

Vinyl did beat Hi Resolution...

I'm not trying to tell you anything at all , it really was just a straight forward question, I know nothing about classical music but wondered from reading this thread and some of the comments if film scores were considered inferior in comparison to the work of established classical composers.

Depends on the "Film Music" and "Classical Music" you pick as examples.

Sturgeon's Law applies.

Wagner didn't originate the leitmotif, but he did use the concept to amazing effect and his name has become very much associated with it. I don't think the fact that his music dramas have influenced so much that has come later, and many a film composer, means much in this context.
Agreed on both points. Incidentally (from wikipedia)

Critique of the leitmotif concept
The critic Theodor W. Adorno, in his book In Search of Wagner (written in the 1930s), expresses the opinion that the entire concept of the leitmotif is flawed. The motif cannot be both the bearer of expression and a musical "gesture", because that reduces emotional content to a mechanical process. He notes that "even in Wagner's own day the public made a crude link between the leitmotifs and the persons they characterised" because people's innate mental processes did not necessarily correspond with Wagner's subtle intentions or optimistic expectations. He continues:

The degeneration of the leitmotiv is implicit in this ... it leads directly to cinema music where the sole function of the leitmotif is to announce heroes or situations so as to allow the audience to orient itself more easily.[11]

I've tried to make my point. Listen to Parsifal, and then go and watch Raiders. I was very disappointed that he couldn't do anything other than write bad Wagner. . And you don't have to have a formal music qualification to hear it. but if it matters to you, I do, and I'm sure many people on here do.

I'd love to get into classical music, or at least attempt to, are the two you've mentioned a good starting point?

Thanks

The problem is that "classical" (sic) music actually covers a vast range of types, styles, etc. You might love Bach and hate Shotakovich (or vice versa). You may lover Beethoiven Piano Sonatas but hate Finzi's Clarinet Concerto (or vice versa). Similarly some recordings of a work may leave you bored whilst someone else's you find gripping.

Listen to the mid-morning programmes on R3 for a while. That covers a vast range, often in short items that contrast. You may find a lot tedious, but then find some gems. You can listen to works via the webpages, so hop about and skip the ones you got bored by or hated after a short listen.

And for what it's worth, I've offered my opinion, and it really doesn't matter to me whether you are in agreement or not. There's nothing to prove.

I've tried to make my point. Listen to Parsifal, and then go and watch Raiders. I was very disappointed that he couldn't do anything other than write bad Wagner. . And you don't have to have a formal music qualification to hear it. but if it matters to you, I do, and I'm sure many people on here do.
It doesn't matter to me in the least, but I wanted to make the point that I do have an understanding of how this stuff works. I have not seen Raiders nor heard its soundtrack in many a year. If I think it's bad, I'll let you know when I revisit it.

Personally, I find Wagner and Mahler tedious. Ditto for Bruckner whose's symphonies all seem to me to be stuck in a 2/4 rut. 8-] They all wander about for ages making gestures, then often go off and die somewhere.

But "classical" music is a *vast* canvas. e.g. few people listen to Rubbra's symphonies, but I enjoy most of them.

Personally, I find Wagner and Mahler tedious. Ditto for Bruckner whose's symphonies all seem to me to be stuck in a 2/4 rut. 8-] They all wander about for ages making gestures, then often go off and die somewhere.

But "classical" music is a *vast* canvas. e.g. few people listen to Rubbra's symphonies, but I enjoy most of them.
Yes. And I would caution anyone interested in introducing themselves to classical music to note carefully your last 2 posts, Jim.

I guess the question is: does Williams try to emulate Wagner in Close Encounters, or ET or Superman or Star Wars, Jaws, Schindler's List, Hook etc. etc? Or does he create music appropriate to each?
Yes - it really is about "appropriate to each".

The common definition of quality in my world is "fitness for purpose". I don't think it appropriate to judge music written for one purpose by the objectives of another. To do so seems to me like rather perverse.

To me, there's only the good music and the less good music. Michael Nyman, Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman and other film music composers have well-deserved places in my CD collection and streaming favourites alongside Wagner (since he has been mentioned).

FWIW I'll add this. I have loved John Wilson's concerts via Proms, etc. Which started off with really enjoyable re-renderings of old film scores and 'light' music. And I've also enjoyed his move into recording more 'serious' works for CDs. Good music is good music, whatever the label someone sticks on it. Listen to the music, not the label. :)

It's good to be passionate about things. Classical music, as has been pointed out, is such a vast field that it's unsurprising that not everyone will like the same things. Even eminent composers were often at each other's throats (I can't recall who it was who said of Wagner 'He has wonderful moments, and terrible half-hours'; one of the Italian opera composers maybe).

(With me, it's more about literature. I can quite understand someone not getting on with, say, P G Wodehouse, or James Joyce, but if someone says they can't be doing with Shakespeare, I think they're just not trying hard enough).

In the hope of moving this along slightly
@k90tour
Can you help me with this. Which particular parallels between Raiders of the Lost ark and Parsifal do see apart from
1) Grail theme (plot not music)
2) use of reminiscence motifs (I use this term rather than leitmotif to distinguish the idea of having a chunk of music associated with a character or thing from the more sophisticated technique of musical developent and transformation from one reminiscence motif to another, thereby paralleling a dramatic or philosophical development or causal relationship between the objects of the motifs -eg Ring>plot>murder)

It's a long time since i last saw Raiders, but ATM I don't really get anything much about holy fools, good friday, joy in suffering, castration(?) wounds, Ahasuerus.
Are there any particular musical quotatons? Genuine question. I'm aware of a lot of spilt ink on the subject of Star wars /wagner music parallels but the Raiders/parsifal one is new to me.

You know nothing about classical music? Why? It's the best! Try mahler 4 and Beethoven 7..apologies I just assumed people on a hifi forum would have a nodding acquaintance with classical music? Why did I think this?

I've no idea why you should think this or why you would assume all peoples on a hifi forum would have an interest or enjoy classical music. It's not like there's not any other genres too be interested in.
In my modest collection of music I have work ranging from Ella Fitzgerald (I think that's the only 'Jazz') , some Blues, Rock 'n' Roll, Pop, Psychedelia, Motown, Soul, Rock, Heavy Rock, Heavy Metal, Punk, New Wave, Indie, Electronica, Thrash, Grunge, Trip hop, Singer/songwriter, Drum & Bass, Dance, Country and the odd film soundtrack.
I've always tried to take an open minded approach to music in general but I've always preferred music with a Lyrical content, though it's great when an artist is a virtuoso on a given instrument it doesn't always follow that makes an Artist "great" imho, it's really important that they actually have something to say and an individual sound. I've always found in most genres that there's a few that really stand out and lots of wannabees and copy cats.
I will try Mahler's 4 and Beethoven's 7, any recommendations for particular Orchestras or conductors of these?

advertisement

Back