advertisement

Vinyl did beat Hi Resolution...

I'm not trying to tell you anything at all , it really was just a straight forward question, I know nothing about classical music but wondered from reading this thread and some of the comments if film scores were considered inferior in comparison to the work of established classical composers.
You know nothing about classical music? Why? It's the best! Try mahler 4 and Beethoven 7..apologies I just assumed people on a hifi forum would have a nodding acquaintance with classical music? Why did I think this?

Not my question. But the music he provided for Raiders, given that Wagner had already tackled the same subject was disappointing and a bit like an O level student trying to write something 'in the style of' (been there, done it). I wonder how jaws would have sounded if Wagner had written an opera based on shark attacks.

You know nothing about classical music? Why? It's the best! Try mahler 4 and Beethoven 7..apologies I just assumed people on a hifi forum would have a nodding acquaintance with classical music? Why did I think this?

I'd love to get into classical music, or at least attempt to, are the two you've mentioned a good starting point?

Thanks

Not my question. But the music he provided for Raiders, given that Wagner had already tackled the same subject was disappointing and a bit like an O level student trying to write something 'in the style of' (been there, done it). I wonder how jaws would have sounded if Wagner had written an opera based on shark attacks.
I will have to re-listen to the Raiders soundtrack album. But I think your position is fundamentally unfair and I bet the music is much better than you portray it.

I guess the question is: does Williams try to emulate Wagner in Close Encounters, or ET or Superman or Star Wars, Jaws, Schindler's List, Hook etc. etc? Or does he create music appropriate to each?
Not sure about the others, but I have only ever been aware of his use of leitmotives in Star Wars. see eg...

Not sure about the others, but I have only ever been aware of his use of leitmotives in Star Wars. see eg...
Wagner didn't originate the leitmotif, but he did use the concept to amazing effect and his name has become very much associated with it. I don't think the fact that his music dramas have influenced so much that has come later, and many a film composer, means much in this context.

I'm unsure about the aesthetics of film music. Some soundtracks include 'proper' classical music (eg The Shining, Brief Encounter), whilst other use 'soundalike' music, which is loosely based around classical themes (eg Bernard Herrmann's soundtracks for Hitchcock's films). The question/conundrum is whether the music should simply be at the service of the film, or whether it should be able to stand alone, as it were, without the visuals to support it.

You might like to try Film Music written by, say, Shostakovich or Prokofiev.

advertisement

Back