advertisement

Verve Acoustic Sounds Series Reissues

This looks a lot more interesting than the initial schedule. I think I have most of the titles but it could be a good way to fill some Bill Evans gaps.

Would be great if they did some Alice Coltrane or Pharaoh LPs.

The two Mingus records and the Oliver Nelson will both be on my must get list.

Last edited:
For me it is Crescent, which may be my favourite Coltrane album. I’ve currently got the ORG 2x45 issue, which is stunning, but I hate the way 2x45 breaks the flow, so I’ll likely stick that in the shop when the Acoustic Sounds turns up. I’d like the two Bill Evans too. I’ve got a US original of Trio 65 which I have a feeling someone had a go at heat-flattening as it looks a bit odd, but does play fine albeit with some noise. It is borderline as to whether it is worth replacing, but I’ll certainly land Trio 64. It is a real shame they didn’t do Mingus Plays Piano as I’m missing that on vinyl (I’ve a US original of Black Saint and a ‘80s DMM reissue of Mingus Mingus..., which actually sounds superb and saw off the Speakers Corner cut to my ears).

Blues And The Abstract Truth is half tempting as it is a real favourite, though I have a very nice Japanese copy that would certainly put up a real fight.

The of the forthcoming releases in the video in printed form. From September forward 3 titles will be released each month.

May 2021
Gil Evans Orchestra Out Of The Cool
Ray Charles - Genius + Soul = Jazz

June 2021
Oliver Nelson - The Blues and The Abstract Truth
Sonny Rollins - Sonny Rollins On Impulse!

July 2021
Bill Evans - Trio 64
Bill Evans - Trio 65

August 2021
Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Charles Mingus - Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus

September 2021
Ella Fitzgerald - A Swinging Christmas
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Ella and Louis
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Ella and Louis Again

October 2021
John Coltrane - Coltrane Live at The Village Vanguard
John Coltrane Quartet - Crescent
Bill Evans Trio - Bill Evans at Town Hall

November 2021
Oscar Peterson Trio - Night Train
Oscar Peterson Trio - We Get Requests
Duke Ellington and COleman Hawkins - Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins

December 2021
Roy Hanes Quartet - Out Of The Afternoon
Duke Ellington and John Coltrane - Duke Ellington and John Coltrane
John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman - John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman

I have nearly all of these, with quite a few in original or good pressings, but it is a bit better list than the first round and there are some I will get for the better pressings.

They're either pricing them a bit more competitively for this round or this is a good pre-order price before a hike when its released.

Genius + Soul = Jazz [VINYL]: AmazonSmile: Music

It's not one on my list but it'll be great if the next few are similarly priced.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That is such a good price (£23.99) I’ve taken a punt myself. A title that wasn’t really on my radar (I tend to avoid vocal stuff with very few exceptions), but I’ll give it a try. Interesting to note the typically high price remains for Blues And The Abstract Truth. I’d have had that one at the price just to fight my Japanese copy out of curiosity.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I had a listen to the Ray Charles Record on Qobuz and wasn't convinced it was something I'd play that much but I then also listened to the Peggy Lee record and am very tempted at that price -

Black Coffee [VINYL]: AmazonSmile: Music

it's rather lovely and might follow from Chet Baker Sings when I'm in that sort of mood.

My ‘cheap’ copy of the Ray Charles turned up. An amazing sounding record, astonishing dynamics to the orchestra. I’m sure this one will become a hi-fi show favourite!

PS This makes me want to try the Blues And The Abstract Truth, if that has as much life and punch as this it will be incredible.

Mine arrived a few minutes ago as well from Amazon. Not had a chance to play it, but it is perfectly flat and clean. The quality Stoughton sleeve is almost worth it alone as it looks as good as the best of my originals. At the About £23 I paid this seems a bargain and the are on Amazon for about £25 seems strange they are still at this when Blues and the Abstract Truth is £36. I think if it sounds as good to me as Tony says I may want to get B&TAT as well even though I was going to pass on it as I have a pretty good copy.

Amazon's packaging still seems to vary as well my last two Tone Poets arrived in one large box with very little paper stuffing and no mailers. Luckily no damage.This single LP came in a very good mailer in a very large box with lots of stuffing.

One oddity with the Ray Charles is that the sleeve says mastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound, but the the matrix run out indicates that is a Kevin Gray at Coherent Audio cut? I just looked at the SH Forum Verve thread and it seems some copies in the US have a hype sticker saying Kevin "added more funk to the organ to give it more grit" ??? o_O

I gave in and ordered a copy of Peggy Lee's Back Coffee this week. Id be streaming it every weekend since it was reissued: I d not heard it before and had a listen out of curiosity and enjoyed it more and more. It's one to follow on from Chet Baker Sings when I'm in the mood for some '50s vocal stylings. The sound is rather intimate and beautiful.

I saw in an interview somewhere either with Fremer or Kasem that this is the only title done by Kevin Gray in this series. So it was probably a mistake on the sleeve seeing that this was the only exception.

One oddity with the Ray Charles is that the sleeve says mastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound, but the the matrix run out indicates that is a Kevin Gray at Coherent Audio cut? I just looked at the SH Forum Verve thread and it seems some copies in the US have a hype sticker saying Kevin "added more funk to the organ to give it more grit" ??? o_O

Yup, the Ray Charles is a re-press of the Analogue Productions cut from 2011. It sounds great, and don't worry about the bit of overload distortion from the organ in some places, I'm assured it's on the tape!

Yes it is a mistake on the sleeve. I have also now seen that Chad Kassem says Kevin cut it in 2011 when they got the tape from the Ray Charles estate.

advertisement

Back