advertisement

Verve Acoustic Sounds Series Reissues

Out Of The Cool is a very good recording, so I’m surprised that one sounds subdued. I actually really like that ‘80s DMM range, as an example I compared the Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus to a Speakers Corner audiophile issue and actually preferred it. I can see others going the other way though. I’ve only got a few of them, but no complaints about them at all. I suspect the Acoustic Sounds cut will be pretty stunning though, the recording is certainly very high quality (I have the late-90s Alto Analogue which is superb).

I received the AS Out of the Cool today. I’m new to this outside of digital and don’t have anything to compare with, but this is excellent, really powerful.

Out Of The Cool is a very good recording, so I’m surprised that one sounds subdued. I actually really like that ‘80s DMM range, as an example I compared the Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus to a Speakers Corner audiophile issue and actually preferred it. I can see others going the other way though. I’ve only got a few of them, but no complaints about them at all. I suspect the Acoustic Sounds cut will be pretty stunning though, the recording is certainly very high quality (I have the late-90s Alto Analogue which is superb).

Maybe 'restrained' is a better description? It sounds like a record that wants to burst out and bite you, but it's a little polite in the climaxes. I went for one on Amazon (via a third party seller) at a relatively good price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08NM8T7WT/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I spun the AS/Gil Evans 'Out of the Cool' this past evening, and found it immensely enjoyable. I don't have another pressing to compare it to, but I was struck by wonderful dynamic shading and propulsive drive, reminiscent of a lot of Ellington/Strayhorn orchestrations. Vinyl packaging and surfaces are impeccable. Highly recommended.

Price yo-yo alert.

Black Coffee with Peggy Lee down to £22.49 - for this morning at least.

Black Coffee [VINYL]: AmazonSmile: Music

This is a really fine record if 50s jazz vocals ring your bell. Nicely recorded to give an intimate small club vibe and some nice playing and a mix of torch and swing. with all of the usual Verve/Acoustic Sounds remaster features. It's at least the equal of Chet Baker Sings - in my book anyhow. anyway.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yes I agree at least as good as the Chet Baker and perhaps even a bit better for sound quality. Demonstration Mono sound, particularly when played with a good mono cartridge. At that price I think even a little less than I paid back in February.

IMG-0049.jpg

My copy of The AS reissue of Sonny Rollins on Impulse arrived yesterday afternoon. I have a Van Gelder stamped US original mono (left above) that I think I bought from Dobell's in Charing Cross Road around 1967/8. Anyone remember them http://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/dobells.html.
As this was recorded in 1965 I thought I would get The AS stereo reissue to compare (above right). Hoping to find time later today. Although the Stoughton covers are good, especially on the Tone Poets, my nr. mint original looks much better. Note the different crop as well.

Note the different crop as well.

In this case the crop is correct - note the position of the ‘stereo’ and ‘monaural’ text, it is the same print shifted up or down depending on application. I’ve seen this many times on original Impulse pressings.

I'd always thought this was one of Impulse's artist overview numbers, which seemed like an odd choice for a reissue, but I realise now it's not and that I'll probably have to get it.

My copy of The AS reissue of Sonny Rollins on Impulse arrived yesterday afternoon.

I've an early 80s Jasmine reissue of this which I've played regularly over the years but I'd be interested to hear how good the new pressing is. This might be one I'll upgrade.

The Blues and The Abstract Truth ( which is IMO the best record title of all time) arrived today and sounds fabulous. I've had it on CD for ages but the extra detail and tone in Stolen Moments is worth the price alone. Just beautiful.

I'm trying to have a bit of discipline and only upgrade from CDs - esp when I've only got RVG editions - but might make an exception with the Rollins record. The same for the two Mingus records scheduled for September. I already have these on CD and on vinyl on "Great Moments With Charles Mingus" I picked up second hand years ago for £1 back in the day when you could do such things.

Last edited:
I've an early 80s Jazzmine reissue of this which I've played regularly over the years but I'd be interested to hear how good the new pressing is. This might be one I'll upgrade.

I have some 80s Jasmine's as well and most are pretty good, but I don't have a Jasmine of this to compare to only my original US mono as I said above. So how does the AS stereo sound? Judged on its own superb. To the same excellent standard as the couple Of others I bought. A really quiet and flat pressing with really impressive dynamics and transient attack especial on Mickey Rokers drum kit. It is cut at a bit higher level than the typical Tone Poets, but when played this loud you really appreciate the dynamics on this. Good Tone and presence on Rollins sax.

More difficult though in comparison to my original and where I found it a close run thing with a comparison of Coltrane's ALS AS reissue and my UK original, here even though my original is a mono I think it wins out by a reasonable margin. I think Kassem and Smith approach here has probably been to try to match a (stereo?) original pressing quite closely rather than an interpretation of the master tape and have done quite well.

This stereo does have the advantage of better instrument separation and perhaps even a bit more 'air', but my mono that is cut at an even higher level, so I matched the volumes, sounds 'enormous' and in the room with amazing presence on all instruments. After a bit I tried not to listen in these HiFi terms and it then IMHO it just sounded closer to hearing the band close up in a small club than the stereo did and I have seen Rollins close up a few times at Ronnie Scott's in the fairly distance past and the power of his blowing is fantastic.

So the AS is very good and perhaps the best available bar a Mint US original. My over 50 year old original is though even better and I am surprised there is really no noticeable noise or deterioration in sound after all this time and many plays.

Played on same TUrntable. Cartridges Cadenza Bronze for Stereo. Cadenza Mono for the mono original.

I am not sure if Tony has an original of this one, but in this case it supports his opinion that country of origin originals are always better. ;)

Last edited:
Has anyone bought The Blues and The Abstract Truth from this series and managed to get a flat one?

I've had two copies from Amazon, both warped but one much worse than the other. I'm just wondering whether I should try a third copy or stick with the one I've got.

My Sonny Rollins was also warped, and I'm awaiting a second copy of that. I can't recall having had a problem with this series so far.

Has anyone bought The Blues and The Abstract Truth from this series and managed to get a flat one?

I've had two copies from Amazon, both warped but one much worse than the other. I'm just wondering whether I should try a third copy or stick with the one I've got.

My Sonny Rollins was also warped, and I'm awaiting a second copy of that. I can't recall having had a problem with this series so far.

Mine was as flat and quiet as others I've bought from the series so I'd go for a 3rd try.

I’m sitting on my hands with Blues & The Abstract Truth as I have a nice Japanese copy! I should buy the Rollins though as I only have that on CD. It would be good to see if I can connect better with his Impulse period, whenever I reach for Rollins it is inevitably the RCA or Prestige albums.

Sonny Rollins arrived today from Amazon, what a great album, and great sounding. Warped though, and at this price I’ll probably return it.

Sonny Rollins arrived today from Amazon, what a great album, and great sounding. Warped though, and at this price I’ll probably return it.
I’m starting to think that buying from Amazon may not be the best option? Which is crazy as they receive stock from the same distribution centre but maybe their storage is suspect? I’ve not had a single problem with this series buying from my local indie store.

advertisement

Back