advertisement

Verve Acoustic Sounds Series Reissues

Was the Analogue Productions a 2x45? That would be an utter disaster with ALS, it needs to be listened to in side-long chunks as originally released (or as one continuous work on CD). I really don’t like the 2x45 format for jazz, which tends not to be over about 16-17 minutes a side anyway. Real audiophoolery over functionality IMHO. The only one I have is the ORG of Crescent and whilst it sounds great I’ll be hoofing it into the shop immediately a single 33rpm edition of the quality of the Acoustic Sounds ALS appears (or I stumble over an original or good Japanese copy). The two disk format just breaks the flow way too much.

I think I’ll be having the two Bill Evans albums when they come out. I’ve got a US stereo original of Trio 65, but the surface is rather odd, I have a feeling someone tried heat-flattening it at some point and went a bit too hot! Plays ok, but with some noise. I’ve got both of them on nice early Japanese CD, but it would be good to have on really nice vinyl too.

Having just ordered ALS I'm also interested in any Bill Evans releases. Is there a full release schedule anywhere?

Is there a full release schedule anywhere?

Peggy Lee - Black Coffee
Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan
Clifford Brown & Max Roach - A Study In Brown
Nina Simone - I Put a Spell On You
Nina Simone - Pastel Blues
Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz & Gilberto
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
John Coltrane - Ballads
Louis Armstrong & Oscar Peterson - Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson
George Russell - New York, N.Y.
Bill Evans -Trio 64
Bill Evans Trio - Trio 65

FWIW I bought mine from Juno as they were cheap and it arrived entirely undamaged (mailer is the oversized type so has some degree of corner protection).

Just ordered Ballads I have a Jasmine 80’s copy and a GDR copy from 1995 the GDR is the better of the two and has a nice quality cover but I have high hopes for the AS.

I picked up a copy of A Love Supreme yesterday. It's a fabulously dynamic recording: I literally got goosebumps hearing Coltrane's sax coming through so forcefully.

It interesting to compare with the Tone Poets - the sound is less balanced for me. They seem to have accentuated to upper registers so there's tremendous presence on the drums, for example, but also a lot of audible tape hiss during the quieter passages. The bass is much less clearly defined - it's something I love abut the Tone Poets - and at times feels out of focus compared to the clarity of the sax and drums. The piano gives a mix of these, amazing attack with the right hand but less in the lower.

It does have that "cleaning of the lens" feeling by comparison with my other editions ( 1 MCA vinyl from the 80s and 2 on CD including the 2002 deluxe edition) and is a very forceful and exciting listen that really demands your attention when its playing.

But, as Tony says, why oh why have the put an ugly barcode on the otherwise high quality sleeve?? Those little quality control slips are really annoying when it would be so easy to have a facsimile and a sticker on the shrink wrap.

I picked up a copy of A Love Supreme yesterday. It's a fabulously dynamic recording: I literally got goosebumps hearing Coltrane's sax coming through so forcefully.

It interesting to compare with the Tone Poets - the sound is less balanced for me. They seem to have accentuated to upper registers so there's tremendous presence on the drums, for example, but also a lot of audible tape hiss during the quieter passages. The bass is much less clearly defined - it's something I love abut the Tone Poets - and at times feels out of focus compared to the clarity of the sax and drums. The piano gives a mix of these, amazing attack with the right hand but less in the lower.

That is interesting. As ever I’m convinced it is down to what you compare to, and for me the reference has to be the original US 1st press RVG cut, which sadly I do not have. I do however have quite a few original US Impulse pressings, or very close relatives, e.g. my original Canadian Spartan Impulse of Ballads which has the RVG stamp, plus the aforementioned US original of Ascension. With both of these, and my 1967 Japanese King pressing of ALS Coltrane is way forward, extraordinarily present and ‘in the room’.

These really are incredibly forceful records, and I’d argue a lot of reissues since have almost attempted to rewrite the narrative and end up turning what to my mind is full-tilt spiritual protest music rammed full of emotion, anxiety and aggression, into something overall far more bland rounded-off and domesticated. Almost a ‘whitewash’ with as much political load in that term as you wish to read. The Acoustic Sounds ALS reverses that trend to me, and whilst it lacks the simply extraordinary ‘in the room’ presence of my sadly battered original Canadian copy of Ballads it does bring a lot of the bite back, bite that I am personally convinced should be there.

Anyway I liked the ALS so much I went back and bought the Louis & Oscar and Getz Gilberto. I have no reference point for the Louis & Oscar, so it just stands as a really nice pressing of a great album I’d never heard before, and I haven’t got round to the Getz Gilberto yet beyond having a quick listen to Girl From Ipanema, which sounded decent to me; brighter than I was expecting, Astrud hard left (not always a given), bass and sax not overblown as they so often can be with this track. Certainly a rather crisper and tighter view than I’m used to, though maybe a bit too ‘clean’, I need to play the rest. Anyway I think they are really good reissues and well worth the asking price. Considering they are only three times the price of some DOL or whatever pirated crap with zero quality control or access to source tapes and are presented in proper vintage style covers they are a bargain.

I’ve not got any Tone Poet Blue Notes, which I guess is a serious oversight that needs correcting.

PS Real vinyl geeks should have a good close look at the AS ALS front cover; the crop of the photo is altered from the original, it is zoomed tighter in on Coltrane. Not sure why they did this, but it has been the case for several other reissues too. Certainly different to the US 1st press (and my Japanese copy).

Dam it, so many conflicting views on these AS Coltrane reissues. I think I am going to have to get both of these AS now so that I can compare myself to the UK originals pressings I have of both. I thought in both cases these were produced from the UK copy masters that were flat copies from the original US mastertapes. This has not been fully confirmed though and in the case of ALS there is a counter claim that it is from the Bell Sound copy tape that was used for the Analog Productions 2x45rpm reissue. This tape apparently had some EQ adjustments for production. Clearly the final mastering to disk can make quite a difference to the final resulting LP as well.

PS Real vinyl geeks should have a good close look at the AS ALS front cover; the crop of the photo is altered from the original, it is zoomed tighter in on Coltrane. Not sure why they did this, but it has been the case for several other reissues too. Certainly different to the US 1st press (and my Japanese copy).
Apparently the label has an error as well. Both sides have Resolution for Parts I and IV instead of Psalm on side two. Very poor to let it get issued like that.

Be careful, it is a bit of a slippery slope. There are still a few "gateway drug" prices available on the BN UK site.

...in for a penny... I’ve just bought three, though via Amazon as they were no dearer, had some of the ones out of stock on the BN site, and I have Prime free shipping. I went for the Chick Corea, Sam Rivers and Andrew Hill.

I think I am going to have to get both of these AS now so that I can compare myself to the UK originals pressings I have of both. I thought in both cases these were produced from the UK copy masters that were flat copies from the original US mastertapes.

I’d definitely try one. The original UK HMV pressings are beautifully quiet and well behaved, but lack bite IMO. I’ve not compared any Coltrane, but have with some other Impulse artists. There is a real directness and intent with the US pressings that seemed to have been diluted a bit for a conservative UK audience, unless it is just a tape generation thing. I’m not knocking the UK HMVs as they are still good and do beat a fair few later reissues, plus are a nice slab of history, but I’d be very surprised if you didn’t think the AS ALS was a decent upgrade. To be honest its worth it to get a proper gatefold sleeve!

For me ALS is one of those albums that is just so important, so essential it is worth paying proper money for. It is actually one I’ll never feel I’m done until I have a genuinely mint US original with a RVG stamp in the run-off, but I’d not go over £100-150 so it is unlikely it will happen. I was lucky enough to find a respectable EX/EX US RVG 1st press of Mingus Black Saint (maybe my favourite jazz album) for £20 a couple of years ago, so it is technically doable. Until that point I am genuinely happy with the AS. It is very, very good.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
...in for a penny... I’ve just bought three, though via Amazon as they were no dearer, had some of the ones out of stock on the BN site, and I have Prime free shipping. I went for the Chic Corea, Sam Rivers and Andrew Hill.
Good choices as long as you don't pay any attention to the complaints about pitch stability on Black Fire (I don't). I would particularly recommend Wayne Shorter Etcetera as well, but where the others have come down in price this has gone up to £56 for a S/H copy. Must still be awaiting another repressing. I understand there has already been one. Good to see these have been selling well. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07LD8VFVJ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’ll wait until the price improves on that one, if it ever does. It’s in the area I’m most interested in. I’m pretty well sorted for the classic hard-bop stuff of the late 50s and early 60s, the biggest holes in my BN collection are 65 onwards and I’m hoping they move forwards into the soul-jazz of the ‘70s. I’m deliberately not duplicating here, I have already got copies of some of the Tone Poet range, plus things like Herbie Hancock’s complete BN output on CD. I’m certainly not going to go mad and try and buy the set, though they do appeal far more than say Music Matters did as I just don’t like the 2x45 format. There are a fair few that tempt...

Pre-ordered ALS and Ballads ages ago from Diverse Vinyl. Still waiting, although I thinks they’re on their way to me now.

Disappointing to hear about the cover, barcode, and label oversights. What a mess.

@Tony L

I’ve become a fairly enthusiastic convert to the 2LP 45rpm format. Although it does break up the usual programme of a well-known album, the sound quality does seem to be better than 33rpm and I do find this of benefit when really listening intently. In fact, if these AS reissues don’t do it for me, I might bite the bullet and buy the ORG Ballads and Analogue Productions ALS and be done with it!

Ballads could work ok as 2x45, but ALS would be a disaster! You may as well split In A Silent Way, it is just as much two side-long suites. The only 2x45 I have is the ORG of Crescent and it doesn’t work for me as again it breaks the flow, plus it is a mixture of long and short tracks that just don’t make sense split this way. It will be out of here as soon as I find a seriously nice 33rpm alternative. I actually paid a fortune for it as it wasn’t available in the UK, I paid a lot in shipping and then got reamed with import duty. IIRC it ended up at about £70 landed, which might have snagged something close to an original had I thought it through! It is a good pressing though, very nice heavy cover too. Strangely tall so very hard to find a poly outer to fit. The Acoustic Sounds covers are tall too, they don’t fit easily in the standard Covers 33 outers.

advertisement

Back