advertisement

Valhalla Electronics Zeus LP12 controller

It's funny but in the early years of the LP12 ,before Lingos and the rest , when it was starting to rule the world and every reviewer had it as the top of their list of all time best turntables I never recall them saying that it was the best turntable in the world except for it's terrible pitch stability and inability to turn the platter at the correct speed.

Now everyone can seemingly, for some reason, tell that the bloody thing is hopeless at doing those two simple things and are only too happy to throw large amounts of money at it to correct that problem.

How is that ?...has the human race evolved so fast in my lifetime such that they have acquire superhuman hearing whilst I wasn't looking ?

However.....this is just a hobby and folk can spend their money on anything that they choose to.

Last edited:
It's funny but in the early years of the LP12 ,before Lingos and the rest , when it was starting to rule the world and every reviewer had it as the top of their list of all time best turntables I never recall them saying that it was the best turntable in the world except for it's terrible pitch stability and inability to turn the platter at the correct speed.

Now everyone obviously can, for some reason, tell that the bloody thing is hopeless at doing those two simple things and are only too happy to throw large amounts of money at it to correct that problem.

How is that ?...has the human race evolved so fast in my lifetime such that they have acquire superhuman hearing whilst I wasn't looking ?

However.....this is just a hobby and folk can spend their money on anything that they choose to.

This happens in every area of life. What was once considered "the best" is then surpassed many times, as the years fly by.

It's called "raising the bar", a direct product of excelsior and applies to everything in life, from the quality of a simple cup of coffee, to the setting of a new world record for the 100m sprint.

When I was a youngster - probably around the same time that the LINN SONDEK LP12 was taking the world by storm - the splendid FORD CORTINA was the top selling car in my part of the world. Some years later, I was able to take one for a drive... What a dreadful car! A lot better than no car at all - sure! - but compared to the humblest of modern car designs, it was a total s#*tbox!

A long line of successive innovators have worked long and hard to raise the bar and improve mankind's everyday experiences - and in doing so, have continued to lift our own expectations.

Relating this back to our beloved LINN LP12, I remain ever thankful that such an old design can be simply and cost-effectively improved to (IMHO) compete with the best turntables of today.

Of course, if one still prefers to drive their FORD CORTINA, that's fine with me. :D

Last edited:
A stethoscope just arrived in my mailbox so I will soon find out if there's a difference in vibration/noise between 85 V and 65 V.

Presuming all these synchronous motors are the same ,by far the biggest difference I found a few years ago was getting the phase angle right rather than the voltage - motor was on an LPT - messing with the voltage made almost no difference - recorded vibration through an attached mic onto PC so I could visually compare noise patterns as well as listen.
Made a switchbox with a range of phasing capacitor values so could be easily compared.

This happens in every area of life. What was once considered "the best" is then surpassed many times, as the years fly by.

It's called "raising the bar", a direct product of excelsior and applies to everything in life, from the quality of a simple cup of coffee, to the setting a new world record for the 100m sprint.

You missed my point.

I wasn't talking about ' improving' the LP12. I was talking about the magical improvement in peoples hearing such that they could suddenly tell that their record deck was not going round precisely at 33.33333333 and that it wasn't going round at that speed consistently .

Yet they couldn't tell that before that advent of alternative power supplies/speed controllers ... preferably made by their beloved Linn ...or Naim at a pinch .They hadn't a clue that this was happening.

Nothing to do with Ford Cortina's.

As I have said elsewhere on here , I have had three LP12's at different times. The last on came with a Valhalla fitted but I changed that to a Hercules power supply because I wanted to be able to run at 45 without the faff of pulley and belt changing. Then I fitted a Meldano designed power supply so that I could run a much lower voltage motor to allegedly "cure" all those pesky pitch and speed issues that I never knew I was suffering from.

Then I realised that I had stated fiddling about and that there would be no end to it ...so I sold the LP12. ( with the Valhalla refitted to it )

Bonne journée.

Last edited:
Presuming all these synchronous motors are the same ,by far the biggest difference I found a few years ago was getting the phase angle right rather than the voltage
I rather use my ears, like the anti-measurement crowd cry out. :D I'll check the angle, too.
(On a side note a fellow nerd visited me yesterday and I mentioned that I had bought a cheap stethoscope, he just looked at me and smiled. Then I knew I was at the nerd's edge.)

. Then I knew I was at the nerd's edge.)

Yep...when your friends look at you and politely smile its a short distance to them starting to avoid you. ;)

It will be raised eyebrows and a slight sad shake of the head next.

.Yep...when your friends look at you and politely smile it a short distance to them starting to avoid you. ;)
It will be raised eyebrows and a slight shake of the head next.
A mate, former DJ, said: LP12 is it that belt driven bouncy thing that's totally useless? Stethoscope? You've lost it, mate :D
I haven't even mentioned it to a third nerd...

Reactions: Joe

I haven't even mentioned it to a third nerd...

You know it will cause stethoscope envy don't you ?...he will have to buy an upgraded stethoscope and then it will be full scale full time digital monitoring of all vibrations at at least eight points on the deck.

ps...like the sound of your DJ mate..he sounds like the kind of friend one needs to stop one from just floating off into the ether.:)

Okay, a different motor altogether then. Was hoping I could switch out motors using the Zeus.

I was hoping for the same thing, as I am a low-torque believer.

I know the ZEUS / MINOS both have some variation, in terms of how much voltage is applied to the motor, but I’m thinking a drop from 110V to 12V will be a no-go.

A stethoscope just arrived in my mailbox so I will soon find out if there's a difference in vibration/noise between 85 V and 65 V.

+1

I use a stethoscope to set the tension on our LP12’s ORIGIN LIVE DC motor.

Getting it right makes a meaningful improvement to payback quality - and you can hear when it is at its quietest, through the stethoscope.

Of course, varying the tension alters the platter speed, so voltage gets trimmed accordingly.
(A great benefit of DC motors… no need to tilt the motor!)

I am very keen to learn if you can hear any noise difference between different AC motor voltages, on your new stethoscope, DR. PIG.

I was hoping for the same thing, as I am a low-torque believer.

I know the ZEUS / MINOS both have some variation, in terms of how much voltage is applied to the motor, but I’m thinking a drop from 110V to 12V will be a no-go.

Are we talking AC motors ?

I fitted a Rega 24v motor to my LP12.

But you do then need a power supply /driver that will provide that 24v.

Are we talking AC motors ?

But you do then need a power supply /driver that will provide that 24v.

Yep. We are talking AC motors.

We currently use a DC motor and are presently looking to make a return to AC motor, probably - hence my great interest in this thread.

I made the comment above, because both the ZEUS and MINOS have the ability to vary the AC voltage, to gain better performance from the AC motor.

It's just not enough variation to run a 12V AC motor, I believe.

Yep. We are talking AC motors.

We currently use a DC motor and are presently looking to make a return to AC motor, probably - hence my great interest in this thread.

I made the comment above, because both the ZEUS and MINOS have the ability to vary the AC voltage, to gain better performance from the AC motor.

It's just not enough variation to run a 12V AC motor, I believe.
Yea, I reckon that is really pushing the boat. Something like 91% change :eek:

I have a brand new Neo sitting here for exactly this purpose but I'm struggling to find a. 24v motor with the mounting flanges. The current kit uses a motor that doesn't have them.

How well did it work? Am I wasting my time?

I have a brand new Neo sitting here for exactly this purpose but I'm struggling to find a. 24v motor with the mounting flanges. The current kit uses a motor that doesn't have them.

How well did it work? Am I wasting my time?

With the right controller it works just fine. I use the same motor and controller on my new deck.

This is a photo of the motor...all the details are visible on the motor I think?

2-B7350-F4-55-E0-4-A4-F-B41-D-12-BDFCDFB36-C.jpg

With the right controller it works just fine. I use the same motor and controller on my new deck.

This is a photo of the motor...all the details are visible on the motor I think?

2-B7350-F4-55-E0-4-A4-F-B41-D-12-BDFCDFB36-C.jpg
Silly question but is that canister part of a Rega or is that a special made item you engineered?

advertisement

Back