advertisement

Valhalla Electronics Zeus LP12 controller

I've had some communication with Valhalla electronics & have been given some data on the feasibility of fitting the 12V motor. They have said it is possible to run an o/p voltage of just 12V...... good news :D however with all good news comes some bad news. Due to its current design the available current at this voltage is only 20mA which is just not enough to run the Linn motor :(. So it's a no no then for this idea.

On the plus side of things a new model is in testing for 24v motors with higher current o/p. Not finalized yet, still more testing & probably more changes to achieve the required current o/p, but in the making. You heard it here first :D

I've had some communication with Valhalla electronics & have been given some data on the feasibility of fitting the 12V motor. They have said it is possible to run an o/p voltage of just 12V...... good news :D however with all good news comes some bad news. Due to its current design the available current at this voltage is only 20mA which is just not enough to run the Linn motor :(. So it's a no no then for this idea.

On the plus side of things a new model is in testing for 24v motors with higher current o/p. Not finalized yet, still more testing & probably more changes to achieve the required current o/p, but in the making. You heard it here first :D

Great to get a definitive answer. Well done! Appreciated. :D

I think he was shocked tho' when I told him I still have not removed the Zeus from its delivery box of many weeks ago lol! Just managed to change over cartridges yesterday trying to deal with this distortion issue........ 7 years later should do it o_O

I think he was shocked tho' when I told him I still have not removed the Zeus from its delivery box of many weeks ago lol! Just managed to change over cartridges yesterday trying to deal with this distortion issue........ 7 years later should do it o_O
Likewise, my DIYAudio Zeus sat in its box for nearly three years. It took me buying a SoleVIII chassis to "push" me to strip down the LP12, knowing the immense fun of setting up the 774 arm that awaited me.

All good things and that....

Put a white coat and gloves on and took the stethoscope out of the box.
Can't say it helped. The procedure is quite time-consuming and when I have changed the voltage I can't remember if the noise I hear is stronger or weaker than before. Four hands are needed, too. A knob to dial would make it simpler. So a bummer.
I set up my Umik, too but not possible.
I also don't understand the phase voltage, it's set to 85 V, but the general motor voltage is set to 65. Will have to ask Steve at Valhalla

Sorted: The phase voltage is the starting voltage if set to 85 V in 3.1.4 it will be the 100 % voltage in 3.1.3 that is possible to set to a lower percentage when the motor reaches full speed.

Last edited:

An interesting development. Would that be aimed towards Rega 24v motors I wonder ?

Rega motors already have the Neo available, which is very reasonably priced and must be quite good as Rega use it right up to the P8.

Rega pricing is amazing. You can't get an aftermarket outboard two-speed supply for the price of the Neo.

Agreed. The REGA NEO is very sharply priced and by all reports, pretty impressive.

I actually thought the NEO was used for the REGA P10 table too. Is there another REGA speed box after the NEO?

And it’s probably not impossible to mount the REGA 24V motor on the LP12, but I do wonder if finding and fitting the right pulley on the 24V REGA motor - to suit the LP12 - could be fun and games.

I actually thought the NEO was used for the REGA P10 table too. Is there another REGA speed box after the NEO?

Yes but it's specific to the P10. I don't know how much better it is but the top PSU is tuned to one specific motor for best possible performance.

The Rega and Linn motors are effectively the same so there is no reason why you can't put a Linn pulley on a Rega motor. I have two Linn motors here which I can steal the pulleys off but yes, fitting one to a Rega motor will be tricky.

P10-PSU operational details are somewhat limited, however, one can deduce from the following internals pic that both phase angle and voltage are independently adjustable for each speed. IOW, a more advanced, more highly tweak-able version of the onboard "Zero Vibration Circuit" is incorporated into the power supply, likely negating the need for any form of PCB within the motor housing on deck, i.e. the deck's flying lead DIN4 cable is likely as not to be hardwired directly to the motor.

Another tell here being that the blue and red hot leads at the DIN4 socket match each phase +ve side insulation colour at the motor, plus 2 x 0V. NEO/TT-PSU is also DIN4, however, this supplies a single 24V feed via two conductors plus a 21V feed to the on-board speed change relay. The on-board "Zero Vibration Circuit" takes care of feeding each phase via two independently level adjustable phase capacitor circuits, one for 33.33, the other for 45RPM.

Rega RP10 PSU ISS3 Ver.1 [image credit: Hi-Fi World]:
rega-planar-10-apheta-3-hfw-mar20-copy.jpg

Last edited:
Back to these ZEUS / MINOS machines…

Can anyone tell me how these units connect to the AC wall power outlet?

Is there some sort of wall-wart?

Is it just a “kettle cord” to an IEC power socket?

Would anyone have a photo to share of the naked “backside” of the ZEUS external enclosure? :D

Last edited:
I remember the biggest sound improvement in over 40 years of LP12 ownership was the switch from the original R/C speed circuit to the (Linn) Valhalla. Don't know why, but it was clearly audible to me while none of the subsequent updates (Kore, Lingo, Karousel) had anywhere near this improvement.

Back to these ZEUS / MINOS machines…

Can anyone tell me how these units connect to the AC wall power outlet?

Is there some sort of wall-wart?

Is it just a “kettle cord” to an IEC power socket?

Would anyone wave a photo to share of the naked “backside” of the ZEUS external enclosure? :D

The rear backplate of the External Zeus simply incorporates an IEC socket, a rocker switch for on/off and a USB socket for connecting to a laptop or PC along with a multipoint connector for connecting to the deck.

An interesting development. Would that be aimed towards Rega 24v motors I wonder ?
Well, I guess so there was no confirmative answer. I just wanted to know if it would run the latest LP12 motor. I guess they had already done some tests or ran a suite of tests upon manufacture of the Zeus to know the o/p capability of the PSU. In its current (pun there, ha ha) form it falls way short of what is needed hence I suppose looking at another design.

They concluded with the data that the standard LP12 motor can be ran at a lower voltage anyway (as it does), just not ultra low voltage!

I believe the setting for full voltage was 5-100 V, but if it can deliver the necessary current I do not know (which I assume is higher than for a 85 V motor)

After using the outboard Zeus I must conclude that I am satisfied. It has definitely cleaned up the bass from the Troika, which was a bit "boomy" earlier, and it has become tighter.
The general impressions I get is a calmer presentation, but above all it has become more fun to play vinyl.
And the time counter is a neat feature to keep track of how much that cartrigde has actually been used.
Add Steve's prompt feedback to my questions and the 30 day no fuzz return policy, it's worthwhile to give Zeus a try and I think you won't be disappointed.
End of happy bunny rant.

I've actually just bought a used Minos PSU. Not because I particularly wanted that PSU but I saw someone selling one only a couple of months old so I went for it. The good thing is that I can swap it with the Majik supply without changing anything else so I'll get a good idea if what the difference is.

From what I can see the Minos is exactly the same as the Zeus without some of the advanced features so I would expect performance to be similar. Be nice to have two speeds and the switch isn't too bad. Still prefer the plastic one, might change that.

advertisement

Back