advertisement

Valhalla Electronics Zeus LP12 controller

Very pleased with my External Zeus, had it for circa 15 months or so. I have never heard any speed drift whatsoever when playing records. I have also heard a Lingo 4 equipped LP12 and in my honest opinion they both sounded great and I noticed no discernible difference in either the timing or presentation of the music...

This feedback is worth GOLD! Thank you.

Assuming that the two LP12s you heard side by side were otherwise similar spec, this makes the VALHALLA ELECTRONICS ZEUS very competitively priced versus the LINN LINGO 4.

I also like that ZEUS provides the option of (full) external mounting of all AC electronics, whereas the LINGO 4 still requires that the AC powered board is snuggled-up close to the platter and the cartridge.

Image04_2_e660f1ee-f98e-43ce-b604-04936cd66284_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Of course the External Zeus still has a small PCB inside the deck but the main PCB control board is off-board. The two LP12's heard were of somewhat similar spec and if anything the Lingo 4 powered deck was slightly higher spec. Regarding the cost, I calculated that if I purchased a Lingo 4 at the time, they were circa £1650 ( since increased in price), resale would be circa £1,000 at the time. Therefore the depreciation alone meant that if I bought an External Zeus for say £645 then if it was of absolutely ZERO value to sell on, it had cost me nothing really in comparison. I also saved £1,000 on the initial purchase cost of course, (even more currently). You do get a new motor with a Lingo 4 of course which you would have to sell on with it should you sell the Lingo 4 in the future. Linn do offer a 5 year warranty versus 1 year with Valhalla for the Zeus.
So you need to weigh it all up in your own mind and carefully consider which route you might prefer to take.

Of course the External Zeus still has a small PCB inside the deck but the main PCB control board is off-board. The two LP12's heard were of somewhat similar spec and if anything the Lingo 4 powered deck was slightly higher spec. Regarding the cost, I calculated that if I purchased a Lingo 4 at the time, they were circa £1650 ( since increased in price), resale would be circa £1,000 at the time. Therefore the depreciation alone meant that if I bought an External Zeus for say £645 then if it was of absolutely ZERO value to sell on, it had cost me nothing really in comparison. I also saved £1,000 on the initial purchase cost of course, (even more currently). You do get a new motor with a Lingo 4 of course which you would have to sell on with it should you sell the Lingo 4 in the future. Linn do offer a 5 year warranty versus 1 year with Valhalla for the Zeus.
So you need to weigh it all up in your own mind and carefully consider which route you might prefer to take.

Quite right. Great post!

And there is another dark horse in this race. One that is priced so competitively, that it might not get a look-in, which might be a great shame.

Someone with loads of LP12 knowledge, vast hands-on experience and ears that I trust a lot has suggested that the VINYL PASSION REVOLUTION is an extremely capable performer, evidently designed more like a LINGO, than anything else.

A1-Revo.jpg

The REVOLUTION does not include any type of adaptive speed control, but is reputed to provide bang-on, rock-solid speed -33 RPM & 45 RPM, at the press of one (custom top-plate) VP button - with the help of a custom-built, on-board toroidal transformer - and late model microprocessor controlled voltage ramp-up / reduction technology.

All for less than 400 quid DIY fit!

At that price, one can afford to also spring for the new VINYL PASSION VP-12 tricked-out AC motor at £165 - and still have enough left for a new drive belt!

20191018_1636341.jpg

237037_fbf2d90eda9b487cb2e726e3c374bb2b.jpg

It seems we’re spoilt for choice! :D

Last edited:
There does seem a lot of complexity to the Lingo 4 just to get the motor to spin at two precise revolution's as quietly as possible.

Smoothness and low-noise is a big part of the controller’s task… over and above speed control.

Of course Valhalla also do a lower spec controller called the Minos at £249 https://www.valhallaelectronics.com/product/minos-lp12-motor-speed-controller/
It still offers 33 & 45, and can also be upgraded to a full Zeus controller.

Here's the comparison between the two https://www.valhallaelectronics.com/zeus-vs-minos-motor-controller/

Indeed!

The MINOS is well covered earlier in this thread…

Certainly, if you don’t need off-board mounting - and can live without the extended ZEUS features - the MINOS is the bargain of the century!

I guess that if it came down to MINOS V REVOLUTION, it would come down to three key differentiators:

ADAPTIVE SPEED CONTROL
ON-BOARD TOROIDAL TRANSFORMER; and
PRICE DISPARITY.

You pay your money and you pick your poison!

Quite right. Great post!

And there is another dark horse in this race. One that is priced so competitively, that it might not get a look-in, which might be a great shame.

Someone with loads of LP12 knowledge, vast hands-on experience and ears that I trust a lot has suggested that the VINYL PASSION REVOLUTION is an extremely capable performer, evidently designed more like a LINGO, than anything else.

A1-Revo.jpg

The REVOLUTION does not include any type of adaptive speed control, but is reputed to provide bang-on, rock-solid speed -33 RPM & 45 RPM, at the press of one (custom top-plate) VP button - with the help of a custom-built, on-board toroidal transformer - and late model microprocessor controlled voltage ramp-up / reduction technology.

All for less than 400 quid DIY fit!

At that price, one can afford to also spring for the new VINYL PASSION VP-12 tricked-out AC motor at £165 - and still have enough left for a new drive belt!

20191018_1636341.jpg

237037_fbf2d90eda9b487cb2e726e3c374bb2b.jpg

It seems we’re spoilt for choice! :D

Similarly priced to the internal Zeus and dearer than the Minos.
Oh choices, choices, choices…

Personally, I’m not a fan of closed-loop, adaptive speed control systems on these motors - particularly AC motors.

I have always believed that feeding an AC motor with an accurate sinewave - one way or another - will deliver accurate speed.

I know the LINGO 4 and RADIKAL both have very hi-tech adaptive speed controls that appear to work well, but at the sharp-price-end of the market, I do wonder how worthwhile this technology is.

With these thoughts in mind, I am rather keen on the idea of the VP REVOLUTION’s additional power supply isolation by the way of a serious toroidal transformer; albeit, hidden under the platter.

One thing that I am still unsure about, is whether the VP REVOLUTION speed can be adjusted to cater for worn parts or various deck modifications.

Does anyone know?

Personally, I’m not a fan of closed-loop, adaptive speed control systems on these motors - particularly AC motors.

I have always believed that feeding an AC motor with an accurate sinewave - one way or another - will deliver accurate speed.

I know the LINGO 4 and RADIKAL both have very hi-tech adaptive speed controls that appear to work well, but at the sharp-price-end of the market, I do wonder how worthwhile this technology is.

With these thoughts in mind, I am rather keen on the idea of the VO REVOLUTION’s additional power supply isolation by the way of a serious toroidal transformer; albeit, hidden under the platter.

One thing that I am still unsure about, is whether the VP REVOLUTION speed can be adjusted to cater for worn parts or various deck modifications.

Does anyone know?

I have no idea.. One thing to be aware of though is that having the onboard PSU with transformer may possibly cause problems with using nude stylus type cartridges, so I have been informed via a different audio forum. There is no option to purchase an externally housed version of this PSU. Personally I believe in keeping the electronics as far away from the cartridge as possible to avoid any issues.

With these thoughts in mind, I am rather keen on the idea of the VP REVOLUTION’s additional power supply isolation by the way of a serious toroidal transformer; albeit, hidden under the platter.

Does anyone know?
I measured the wow on my Lingo 2 deck using an app & the best it could muster was 0.26% this is not as good as the Zeus or I expect the Lingo 4 or Radikal.

I measured the wow on my Lingo 2 deck using an app & the best it could muster was 0.26% this is not as good as the Zeus or I expect the Lingo 4 or Radikal.

I could easily believe it.

To risk labouring the point, smoothing and noise reduction is the name of the game with turntable motor control.

I think LINN’s big win with the LINGO 4, is the smoothness they have gained by reducing the 110V AC motor to a 12V motor.

I also believe LINN will now have to deal with all of the problems associated with a low-torque motor dragging around the 4-6KG LP12 platter and sub-platter system.

That is why I’m not ready to pay end-game money for the LINGO 4. Just my personal viewpoint.

But which alternative???

I joined the group buy on diyAudio and purchased a fully assembled unit as I haven't got the tools to do it myself.
Initially all the components were through hole but Steve revised the board to surface mounts.

I haven't a microscope and my eyesight isn't good enough to mount SMD's.

I had no problem installing the board except for saving the PID parameters to eeprom but Steve sorted this out in minutes!
I used the original Valhalla switch.

I fitted the display to the LP12 using thin double sided tape, a lot better than blu tack!
The boards been in use now for around 15 months with no trouble whatsoever.

When I first tried installing the PID program, it wasn't seen by Windows ' I was using Windows 7' I then tried it on a Windows 10 laptop and it worked perfectly.

I also left the cable that attaches to the Arduino in situ as my LP12 doesn't have a base board fitted .

Extremely pleased with the Zeus and the service I've received from Steve.
It will definitely be more reliable than the Valhalla board!

I intended fitting the Zeus in a separate enclosure but decided against as I didn't want yet another box!

Just a word of warning, make sure that when setting up the parameters you unplug the power cable to your laptop, use battery power only.

I joined the group buy on diyAudio and purchased a fully assembled unit as I haven't got the tools to do it myself.
Initially all the components were through hole but Steve revised the board to surface mounts.

I had no problem installing the board except for saving the PID parameters to eeprom but Steve sorted this out in minutes!

I fitted the display to the LP12 using thin double sided tape, a lot better than blu tack!

When I first tried installing the PID program, it wasn't seen by Windows ' I was using Windows 7' I then tried it on a Windows 10 laptop and it worked perfectly.

I also left the cable that attaches to the Arduino in situ as my LP12 doesn't have a base board fitted .

I intended fitting the Zeus in a separate enclosure but decided against as I didn't want yet another box!

Just a word of warning, make sure that when setting up the parameters you unplug the power cable to your laptop, use battery power only.

Great intel - and great tip! Appreciated.

(I take your point about the impossibility of working with SMDs. I’m with you… )

I could easily believe it.

To risk labouring the point, smoothing and noise reduction is the name of the game with turntable motor control.

I think LINN’s big win with the LINGO 4, is the smoothness they have gained by reducing the 110V AC motor to a 12V motor.

But which alternative???
Okay, a different motor altogether then. Was hoping I could switch out motors using the Zeus.

Double sided sticky tape is on the upgrade path :)

I agree, Steve has been really helpful answering questions, great support and great documentation.

I wonder if any of this kit comes with any wow and flutter figures, especially if measured to the same standard so that they can be compared?

Yeah, if only 24v motor tech was more affordable. Oh, hang on...

planar_1_matt_intro.jpg

I wonder if any of this kit comes with any wow and flutter figures, especially if measured to the same standard so that they can be compared?

I think it's insightful that when talking about LP12 power supplies most of the discussion is about specifications rather than how they sound. What does that suggest?

Mine sounds great, with cracking pitch stability. The InSoles haven't distracted anything from the music either that I can hear. Now, whether I start to pine for that LP12 bloom in a few months, we'll see.

advertisement

Back