advertisement

V-talk: vegan, vegetarian and verisimilitude

They respond instantly to any form of attack and communicate it to other plants in the vicinity using chemical messengers, either airborne or through their root systems, which is actually no different to a cns which is mediated chemically. Its just that we tend to take a very anthropocentric view.

I suppose it’s because they don’t have a central nervous system so can’t experience pain. They just respond to stimuli like a computer keyboard does. It doesn’t seem likely that evolution would create a life form that suffers like - eg. like a mammal does when being eaten alive - yet which cannot move, or get away from the threat.

I remain convinced that mowing a lawn is not as bad as mowing down a crowd of people with a machine gun, but you may differ there.

Can't you hear the blades of grass scream? Sometimes they're so loud they drown out the other voices in my head.

They respond instantly to any form of attack and communicate it to other plants in the vicinity using chemical messengers, either airborne or through their root systems, which is actually no different to a cns which is mediated chemically. Its just that we tend to take a very anthropocentric view.

So they react to stimuli (like a computer does) and then just sit there unable to move or do anything else about the attack despite being attacked my animals eating them for millions of years. Brilliant evolution there. Why would a life form develop that way if it can’t actually do anything in response? Plants are not suffering, it’s BS. Besides, all life is fighting each other for survival in one way or another and survival necessitates the deaths of other life.

This thread has got me thinking. I was a vegetarian for 3 or 4 years some 45 years ago, bloody hard work back then. I remember only two cafe/restuarant in London, iirc, the one I used was called Cranks. Indian restaurants were most welcome, used one at least twice a week.

Now retired, and growing plenty of veg, I am contemplating giving up meat again. We only eat meat/fish three times a week max. The Ottolenghi vegetable recipes could well be my way out.

Arsehole. You know sweet fa, some have no options, and btw I have found some some excellent substitutes.
The devils spawn I tell you, Victoria sponge all the way, stick your dreaded vegan brownie where the sun don't shine, this is war, and we haven't even tackled the scourge that is soggy cheesecake.

Got these today, the Bosh cake is labelled as vegan the Mr. Kipling is accidentally vegan. I’m trying to behave with this sort of thing but my partner persuaded me! ;)

2ohQcFL.jpg

but I still don't get why some veggie products are trying to mimic meat.

The answer is simple, they are being produced to entice meat eaters to be virtuous as most of the planet with the exception of 2 counties are meating less meat.

What I don't like about most meat substitute products is that they are highly processed, which generally are not good for you and a driver for obesity, heart disease, stroke and cancers. As someone has already mentioned, you can produce your own meat substitute by making Satien, which is the best product for picking up flavours and is easy to make. If you want to it to mimic meat, it's the best you can get as you can get it to taste like beef, chicken, pork or whatever.

We all know that it's not that difficult to eat healthily, it's just that we can't be arsed to spend the time to make it. Not only does the devil have the best tunes, he also has the most attractive food....

This thread has got me thinking. I was a vegetarian for 3 or 4 years some 45 years ago, bloody hard work back then. I remember only two cafe/restuarant in London, iirc, the one I used was called Cranks. Indian restaurants were most welcome, used one at least twice a week.

Now retired, and growing plenty of veg, I am contemplating giving up meat again. We only eat meat/fish three times a week max. The Ottolenghi vegetable recipes could well be my way out.
Cranks is long gone.
The brand ended up being owned by Nando’s!
The Cranks cookbook was legendary.

My eldest (12) is seriously allergic to dairy so to a certain extent we're always looking at vegan options, just to be clear of the dairy aspect.

Was in Brighton recently and it's really quite impressive how well a vegan diet is catered for, better than anywhere else we've been and if nothing else, it means we we were able to eat without having the standard anxiety - will she have a reaction?

She's been baking almost non-stop during lockdown and I would challenge anyone to tell the difference between her brownies, sponges, etc to dairy options - they're superb. I like the look of the Magnums as mentioned by @windhoek - not seen those before! Always on the lookout for new / "fun" stuff she can have.

As an aside, I bought one of these Reishunger Rice Cookers last week after hearing a comedian on telly more or less imply that everybody in SE Asia has one and that we've been doing it wrong for years when it comes to cooking rice; the punchline being that nobody in SE Asia buys anything smaller than a sack of rice and so he's astonished to find the shops over here are selling the free samples - you know, Uncle Bens microwave rice!

Anyway, I tried it earlier on and although I didn't get the timing right with the other ingredients, I'm pleased to say I agree with the guy. Boil-in-the-bag and microwave rice just aren't as good as freshly made rice in a rice cooker. The thing he stressed was that rice cookers get rice to taste perfect each and every single time. Unfortunately, there isn't a timer on the gadget so I had no idea when it would be ready - worse than however was the fact I didn't time it myself! But next time I'll time it and then I'll know exactly how long it takes. Once I know that, I should be able to make perfect rice anytime, every time :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Thai way courtesy of deebsterette:

Twice the depth of cold water as rice (meaning the water comes up the side of the bowl twice as high as the rice). Stick your finger in and use your knuckles to measure.
Turn it on.
Walk away and wait for the beeps.

You don't have beeps? Proper old school :D

Is that a ratio of 2:1 (2 parts water to one part rice)? Today I went for 1:1 based on what I read in a review on Amazon. Alas, the Reishunger doesn't beep.

Yes, though as instructed by the Rice Mistress done by depth rather than measuring volumes. I can't do the physics to work out if that is exactly the same as twice the measured volume, but it surely can't be far off.

As an aside, I bought one of these Reishunger Rice Cookers last week after hearing a comedian on telly more or less imply that everybody in SE Asia has one and that we've been doing it wrong for years when it comes to cooking rice; the punchline being that nobody in SE Asia buys anything smaller than a sack of rice and so he's astonished to find the shops over here are selling the free samples - you know, Uncle Bens microwave rice!

Anyway, I tried it earlier on and although I didn't get the timing right with the other ingredients, I'm pleased to say I agree with the guy. Boil-in-the-bag and microwave rice just aren't as good as freshly made rice in a rice cooker. The thing he stressed was that rice cookers get rice to taste perfect each and every single time. Unfortunately, there isn't a timer on the gadget so I had no idea when it would be ready - worse than however was the fact I didn't time it myself! But next time I'll time it and then I'll know exactly how long it takes. Once I know that, I should be able to make perfect rice anytime, every time :)

One more thing about the Reishunger rice cooker: it comes with a detachable kettle lead which means you can disconnect the cable and then store it inside the plastic tray you can use to steam vegetables. The physical size of the cooker is the physical size - no cable bashing to worry about when putting it away!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back