advertisement

V-talk: vegan, vegetarian and verisimilitude

Agree ... except for the new generation of high-tech burgers : Beyond Burger & Incredible Burger are my favourites , though new ones are coming on the market. They are expensive , but supply is increasing & prices will eventually come down to match the price of meat (will take quite a few years, I’d guess).
I've not had the new generation of burgers. Truth is that I don't much like them. Any burger is to me a long way off the best thing to do with a piece of beef. To recreate this frankly mediocre product with a hill of technology strikes me as developing a space age fabric at great expense and making a tee shirt. Wow, well done. It's an expensive and complex solution to a problem that already has a solution. A falafel is better than a burger. Just like a cotton shirt is better than a tee shirt. So thanks, I'll have the falafel. And a cotton shirt over a £30 tee shirt made with a wonder fibre that's...well, nearly as good as a normal one.

No meat here since 1992, but I still don't get why some veggie products are trying to mimick meat. If I want meat I'll eat it, but what I do want is something that occupies the same place on my plate.

That said, the fake bacon (Facon?) strips do ahem flesh out my veggie fry up rather nicely.

I'm going to try my first vegan pizza today - I'm already hungry and can't wait (till lunchtime!)

I also bought a packet of Walls Vegan Magnums - can't wait to try that either. Incidentally, these are bloody expensive everywhere except ASDA, which sells a 3-pack for £2.50; I've seen them go for over £4 in other supermarkets!

goodfellasveganmeatlessmediterranean.jpg

magnum_vegan_classic_box-1391886-png.png.ulenscale.290x290.png

I've not had the new generation of burgers. Truth is that I don't much like them. Any burger is to me a long way off the best thing to do with a piece of beef. To recreate this frankly mediocre product with a hill of technology strikes me as developing a space age fabric at great expense and making a tee shirt. Wow, well done. It's an expensive and complex solution to a problem that already has a solution. A falafel is better than a burger. Just like a cotton shirt is better than a tee shirt. So thanks, I'll have the falafel. And a cotton shirt over a £30 tee shirt made with a wonder fibre that's...well, nearly as good as a normal one.

I could prefer a high quality burger to a steak sometimes.

I just had a look on the websites of Dominoes and Papa John's and holy shit, a medium vegan pizza with plenty of veg is £17.99 - WTF!?

The pizza was good! I've definitely had better but it's good enough for me to have it again some time; probably next year though as I tend to only eat pizza once or twice a year. I have to really be in the mood for it otherwise it's a case of thanks but no thanks.

We are vegan, and have been since last year. The driving force was our daughter having chronic food allergies (anaphlaytic to egg, dairy, grains. etc and what we learned from the process - she is very healthy and happy) and a growing feeling that dairy doesn't sit well with us, animal hormones in food, etc, etc.

What has helped is that my wife is an amazing cook and I haven't missed meat, dairy one bit. We both feel a lot better, I'm 73kg now (haven't been that since I was 21) and feel much healthier.

regards

Yeah, I've lost half a stone since cutting out dairy products. It's not why I changed my diet but it's a nice bonus as it's brought me back under my top weight for my height.

Unless I blinked and missed it I haven't seen any reference to seitan. Its cheap and easy to make and can be shaped and flavoured so that it looks and somewhat tastes of beef, pork, chicken etc. You can buy the necessary flours (wheat glutan, chickpea and soy )from Amazon at around £4-6per kilo.

Look it up.

Cheers,

DV

Unless I blinked and missed it I haven't seen any reference to seitan. Its cheap and easy to make and can be shaped and flavoured so that it looks and somewhat tastes of beef, pork, chicken etc. You can buy the necessary flours (wheat glutan, chickpea and soy )from Amazon at around £4-6per kilo.

Look it up.

Cheers,

DV

How interesting: someone was telling me about a meat alternative that sounded a bit like satan. I hadn't heard of it and the guy wasn't 100% sure, other than it was pretty good. Now I know it's seitan. cheers, DV

The Sheese factory on the Isle Of Bute is expanding at a fast rate with a new building being built while a storage building has also been purchased. Was asked if they could do a vagan speech in my bistro which I was happy to put on , also made up some dishes for people to try. There Ice Cream was a knock out I would buy it over traditional Ice Cream. Shame they agreed to license it to Sainsbury's only as it is a tremendous product. I'm not Vagan or Vegetarian but only eat red meat once a week. Mostly stick to seafood, veggie pastas, chicken.turkey. Also enjoy veggie sausages a couple of times a week some of these products are excellent. Linda McCartney's burgers on a toasted roll with lettuce, chilli cheese , tomato, onion, and mayo is a favourite of mine. Hellmon's vagan mayo is another very good product.

I went to TGI Friday's today for lunch and got myself a vegan burger and chips. I'm not one eating meat-like alternatives just for the sake of it - I didn't eat a lot of meat for some even when I was eating meat - but I was really hungry at lunchtime and thought it would go a long way to filling a big hole, which it did. But was it tasty and would I eat it again? Not unless I was really, really hungry as it just didn't taste that great. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't hoping it would taste like a burger, just hoping for it to have a good taste. I reckon some well-prepared tofu marinated in spicy spices would have been better.

Anyway, that's my latest discovery.

One question that I think people should consider is why do they think of plants as lesser life forms. If you read The Secret Life of Trees and look at the scientific research that backs it up you will find that plants are just as sophisticated as animals and equally deserving of our respect. Yet we treat them in appalling ways.

One question that I think people should consider is why do they think of plants as lesser life forms. If you read The Secret Life of Trees and look at the scientific research that backs it up you will find that plants are just as sophisticated as animals and equally deserving of our respect. Yet we treat them in appalling ways.

I suppose it’s because they don’t have a central nervous system so can’t experience pain. They just respond to stimuli like a computer keyboard does. It doesn’t seem likely that evolution would create a life form that suffers like - eg. like a mammal does when being eaten alive - yet which cannot move, or get away from the threat.

I remain convinced that mowing a lawn is not as bad as mowing down a crowd of people with a machine gun, but you may differ there.

advertisement

Back