advertisement

Useful facts or tips that everyone should know

When you get to the end of the toothpaste, stand it upright on the cap so all the remaining toothpaste slides to the nozzle.
When using toothpaste, don’t load the full length of the brush, like they do in the ads. You only need a pea-sized blob. The ads show that so you use more, and therefore buy more.

Alcohol % and ° proof are not interchangeable. Something cannot be “50% proof” in the same way a road can’t be 3 litres long.

In the US, proof ° is double alcohol %. So 80° proof whisky has 40% alcohol. The conversion varies by country.

Always let air back into plastic tubes containing shampoo, conditions, ketchup etc as this will repressurise the container to ensure the contents always come out with ease thanks to the amount of air at your disposal to act as propulsion as it were.

If you keep a bat ready for any intruders (by the door or under the bed) and use it you can land in hot water with the rozzers. If it just happens to be lying about and you use it for self-defence that is different. Put it in a sports bag by the door and you should be OK unless you use excessive force eg beat them to a pulp while they are unconscious. That's my impression anyway.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19886504

A genuine thing I didn't know about, owning a stun gun which is disguised as another object carries a mandatory 5 year prison sentence. This includes having one in a box in your house, as opposed to in your pocket on the street. Whereas owning a non-disguised stun gun does not carry the same mandatory sentence, which means you may receive more leniency if found guilty.

And if that seems like something for another (more criminal!) forum, consider that e.g. your kids could feel threatened and procure this kind of device, and think that a disguised model is the safer one to have. Not that fishies are likely to advise their kids on stun gun choice, but just in case it comes up!

So much for the mandatory sentence being a deterrent when many people don't know about it!

I know you guys are all way too posh/rich/snobby to buy flatpacks, but apparently IKEA give you free insurance if you swipe your Family Card at the time of purchase. This means you can get a free replacement part when you break or damage that piece accidentally/ fit of rage. Obviously there are T&Cs.
IKEA FAMILY FREE PRODUCT INSURANCE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The following terms are valid for the IKEA FAMILY free product insurance. You can insure your new products against accidental damage on the way home and during assembly by swiping your IKEA FAMILY card at the check-outs.

1. This benefit only applies to IKEA FAMILY members.
  2. To insure your products your IKEA FAMILY card must be presented and swiped at the time of purchase.
  3. This benefit only applies to purchases made at IKEA UK stores. The benefit can only be claimed in-store and not by contacting Customer Services.
  4. This benefit does not apply to purchases of IKEA gift cards or purchases made in the IKEA cafe, IKEA Bistro, IKEA Swedish food market or IKEA restaurant.
  5. This benefit does not apply to purchases picked, transported, assembled or installed as part of our additional IKEA services, as they are covered by the service provider, as outlined in their terms and conditions.
  6. This benefit does not apply to cut fabric, or goods ordered to your specification e.g. custom made worktops or made to order sofas.
  7. This benefit does not apply to purchases from the Bargain Corner.
  8. To claim under the insurance, your IKEA FAMILY card must be presented together with proof of purchase when returning any damaged item.
  9. Products found to be damaged will be replaced on a like for like basis or you will be issued with a refund card to the current selling price of the item.
  10. You have 90 days from the date of purchase to claim under the insurance.
  11. This benefit is in addition to any other separate insurance provisions you may have.
  12. This benefit is in addition to our Returns policy.
  13. This benefit does not affect your statutory rights.

Alcohol % and ° proof are not interchangeable. Something cannot be “50% proof” in the same way a road can’t be 3 litres long.

In the US, proof ° is double alcohol %. So 80° proof whisky has 40% alcohol. The conversion varies by country.

I thought the original definition of 100% proof was the concentration at which a mixture with gunpowder would just burn.

Allows for a few variables I guess.

You can ‘copy’ on an IPad and paste (that copied item) onto your phone.

No doubt it’ll work the other way round too.

(Found this just by trying it).

To get a º symbol (you might need this when talking about alcohol proof)… on an iPhone/iPad, hold down the 0 [zero] and the degree symbol option comes up, in a similar way you can get é and other such things from the letters.

On a PC keyboard, the shortcut of holding down Alt and typing 0186 on the numeric keypad [then let go of Alt!] gives you the degree symbol. 0189 for ½. 0247 for ÷ (because a slash ain't obviously divide so this is handy). 0177 for plus minus ± because it looks so much better than: +/-. 0150 for a mid-sized dash –. 0151 for a long dash —.

Gosh I've led an exciting life!

When driving a Land Rover on an RAF airfield in the 1980s, if a RAF copper pulls alongside, points a Browning pistol at your head and orders you to stop, stopping is a great idea.

When using toothpaste, don’t load the full length of the brush, like they do in the ads. You only need a pea-sized blob. The ads show that so you use more, and therefore buy more.
Ha! You’re the ghost of my old dad. His other one ( which I’ve inherited) is don’t leave the hot tap running down the drain while you’re faffing around at the sink.

advertisement

Back