advertisement

USB CABLE

But it might be... the simple answer is that we don't know for sure. Measurement may suggest that there is no difference but this relies on the accuracy of the measurement and that we are actually measuring the right things. Ironically there is an element of explanational bias applied to measurement results as well (i.e. we don't expect them to be wrong!). I'm in no way suggesting that all measurement results are bunkem but we do need to have an understanding of the limitations of measurement.
These are all broadly speaking the sorts of things that someone might say while stroking his beard philosophically. But where do they actually take us? Empirical knowledge is not certain in the Cartesian sense, but aside from tautologies and possibly maths, nothing is. Without condescending to the particulars you can't get to grips with where on the spectrum of real-world certainty we can place the conviction that anecdotal reports from a self -selecting group of people (whose hobby is listening to bits of wire) that they can hear differences between different usb cables is unlikely in fact to be result of actual differences in the sound pressure waves reaching their ears when the different cables are in circuit.

I would venture to suggest that it is a reasonably sound summary that based on an understanding of
-how digital systems work and the function of a usb cable
-the sorts of differences found in particular cables and the explanations proferred for the supposed benefits
-the limitations of human hearing (including for example just noticable amplitude differences and distortion levels, the ability to pick up signal at a certain level given a certain level of noise, masking effects etc)
-measurements of the outputs of real world dacs with different cables in them
-the (un)reliablity of anecdotal reports of sound quality comparisons (including a number of points mentioned above).
-the fact that differences in (and improvements between) data cables operating within spec are not generally observed or exploited in other more critical fields of instrumentation (medical scanning machines, radar, seismology, astronomy....).

......it is far more likely that the reports are based on something other than detection of differences in sound pressure waves reaching the ears of the listeners. In fact one could go so far as to say that there are no real grounds (other than Cartesian doubt) for supposing that the explanation lies in unmeasurable properties of the dac output and/or hitherto unidentified hearing faculties in the listeners.

I concede that I have no expertise in any of this; but I really do care about the answer, so I have spent a long time trying to learn about this stuff because it bugs me when I can't understand something. I started out assumign that what could be described as the standard hifi magazine position (human hearign is unlimited, our understading is in its infancy, there are loads of examples of things that sound better but measure the same, all cables sound different, bits are not bits, humans can detect unmeasrable levels of jitter) must be correct. I have not found pretty musch anything to support it. A very long time ago I asked John Atkinson (editor of Sterophile) for recommedations to read to understand digital audio. He pointed me to textbooks by Pohlmann and Watkinson. Imagine my surprise when these texts both mocked audiophile reports of sound quality differences between cables! It is rarely acknowledged in the mags that much of their content is considered laughable by experts. (cf my point before that a hifi forum is like a flat earth convention.) I'm genuinely interested in this stuff and happy to learn new things. Sadly I have not yet heard any thing apart from "hey its a hobby" and "but science is sometimes wrong" to support the standard hifi magazine position. I appreciate that people may seem annoyingly evangelical on cable threads, but the reason for this is (at least in part) that it is only through hifi forums that enthusiasts get exposed to the "real world" position as opposed to the hifi magazine guff. if you are actually interested in this stuff though, there is the exciting opportunity to find out stuff from people who really do know what they are talking about (not me)

Equally ruminating on "an understanding of the limitations of measurement" is great. But what limitations? Either way what are these "limitations on measurement" and how are they relevant? Incidentally if you really are interested, it might surprise you to know that one person on this forum has written a leading university text on the subject. If you are interested I would recommend reading it. If you ask nicely he may also explain things to you.
For a USB cable we are measuring the right things; bits in, equals bits out. It can't be anymore than that. What the DAC does with that is up to the DAC.
Exactly- all the dac needs to know in order to convert the recorded signal is the sample values and the sample rate. If it has these then the cable has done its job. Equally the cable cannot give any more information.
In addition we can confirm this by measuring that the dac output is the same with both cables down to -130dB or more (and essentially down to the level of variation shown by repeated measurement of the output using the same cable)
I'd be more worried about the power and gnd lines in the USB cable.
Probably yes. But of course a cable which does not have a filter attached and merely consists of conductors can't do anything about this. If it has better conductors it will just conduct the noise to the dac better.

That's a perfectly valid QC test by naim, checking solder joint integrity and reliving stress in uneven wires. The explanation is total bollocks
I'd be interested to hear what Naim claim shaking their cables does to them to improve SQ before writing it off a 'total bollocks' (which of course, it may be!).

If someone thinks something sounds better... how can they be wrong?

For instance when one prefers something over something else when there is not a true audible difference. An experience of a difference is a necessary but not sufficient condition.

I'm in no way suggesting that all measurement results are bunkem but we do need to have an understanding of the limitations of measurement.
In which case we should have verified counterexamples challenging the measurements.

It is just a matter of realising that any measurement has a finite accuracy.
They certainly have finite accuracy. However, if we want to appeal to this well known fact and not be guilty of mere handwaving we have to provide counterexamples which show the insufficiency / irrelevance etc. of measurements.

Empirical science never has absolute certainty on anything. This I think is the straw at which the subjectivist audio rather desperately clutches.

Define ...'a true audible difference in the context of the listener'. If I hear a difference then that makes it pretty true to me?!
You certainly may feel that way. Unfortunately others have no obligation to accept anyone's private beliefs at face value as evidence of sonic differences between USB cables.

I do find some of the comments arguing the miniscule granularity of measurable cable performance amusing - as if a human ear could ever get anywhere close to being more sensitive than measuring equipment. In fact the human ear generally is a terrible measuring device; a sniffle or a little bit of ear wax can change how you hear something.

The only way to prove whether an expensive cable is audibly superior is with ABX testing. Arguing about this or that is pointless - it'd be a doddle prove that a difference is audible (or not) with blind ABX tests.

@grey they claim an improvement in sound quality. Thing is that shaker is decades old, they only starting bullshitting about it once they started selling expensive cables

Nice to see the bicameral nature of the human brain structure operating in this thread:)

Even Amir disagrees with you.
Does he? I've not read much on ASR, I have seen a couple of videos on YouTube.

From the bits (ha!) I have seen I got the feeling that he believed that it was bit in and bit out for USB cables.

Have I missed a big revelation? :)

Do tell...

Last paragraph in this post:
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/usb-cable.265566/page-9#post-4635066 (quoted from the review linked by Purite Audio).
Okay, so I had a skim and the issue appears to be noise, but no identification as to where the noise is coming from.

If I've missed the point, then my apologies.

I think your premise is that the combination of DAC and USB cable combine to generate detectable noise in the DAC's output. As was said earlier in the thread if the USB cable or DAC are not to spec then all bets are off. That wasn't measured in the review.

From Amir's review the noise would be audible and was measurable, he measured it. The discussion here is that the sound change hasn't been detected by such measurements yet the listener is saying that there is a change in the sound.

If the audible change is due to poor implementations of a cable's spec or DAC's spec then one should be looking for in spec products. Though, that would take the fun out of exploring the symbiosis of DAC and USB cables. :)

Hopefully I didn't miss your point.

Jeez, I have been in hospital for almost two weeks and this thread can’t even decide which philosophers had the best hifi.
My current usb cable costs a fraction of some I’ve owned and tried, should price expectation bias have negated my choice?
As a quick addendum why do some usb cables (most it seems) sound worse used wrong? Way round ie B 2 A connector. Took ages to find one that was happily reversible (fidata) almost had Atlas make a custom cable after designer explained difficulties. Science was way above my intellectual pay grade.
Is used on melco ripper to improve quality of rips (I can hear teeth grinding) and it worked brilliantly.

There's been evidence that the FSS sewed the seeds of Presidency in the mind of Trump during his visits to Russia. Maybe someone should talk to him about the idea of selling his own Audio cables. Should end his current financial woes in short order.

There's been evidence that the FSS sewed the seeds of Presidency in the mind of Trump during his visits to Russia. Maybe someone should talk to him about the idea of selling his own Audio cables. Should end his current financial woes in short order.
How did you hear that? :p

advertisement

Back