advertisement

Ukraine V

interesting, i've always thought a potential NATO member should need to have a clear borders/sovereignity

but i'm fine - let ukr join nato and let the games begin

shame about genocide against kurds but you don't fu*kin' care about kurds, do you?

let turks kill as many as they can - just give a NATO approval fu*k the kurds!

interesting, i've always thought a potential NATO member should need to have a clear borders/sovereignity

but i'm fine - let ukr join nato and let the games begin

shame about genocide against kurds but you don't fu*kin' care about kurds, do you?

let turks kill as many as they can - just give a NATO approval fu*k the kurds!

I think your post in whey out of order

Perhaps the Chinese peace plan may start to pay dividends after all...

Ukraine's Volodymr Zelensky says he has had a "long and meaningful" phone call with China's Xi Jinping, their first contact since Russia's war began. He said on Twitter he believed the call, along with the appointment of an ambassador to Beijing, would "give a powerful impetus to the development of our bilateral relations".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65396613

Perhaps the Chinese peace plan may start to pay dividends after all...

Ukraine's Volodymr Zelensky says he has had a "long and meaningful" phone call with China's Xi Jinping, their first contact since Russia's war began. He said on Twitter he believed the call, along with the appointment of an ambassador to Beijing, would "give a powerful impetus to the development of our bilateral relations".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65396613

Not until Ukraine’s counter offensive has run its course….

Not until Ukraine’s counter offensive has run its course….
I can only hope that it's astonishingly well planned and executed, because the Russians, for all their incompetence in all ranks, are very well established and dug in, and will be enormously hard to shift. I'm no military expert, but I think that the Ukrainians will ultimately have to settle for half a loaf. A bitter pill, to be sure, given that they were subjected to an unprovoked and unjustified assault, which has caused colossal damage and loss of life, but it seems to me that only the complete collapse of the Russians and/or the overthrow of Putin would provide any chance of a total victory.

I can only hope that it's astonishingly well planned and executed, because the Russians, for all their incompetence in all ranks, are very well established and dug in, and will be enormously hard to shift. I'm no military expert, but I think that the Ukrainians will ultimately have to settle for half a loaf. A bitter pill, to be sure, given that they were subjected to an unprovoked and unjustified assault, which has caused colossal damage and loss of life, but it seems to me that only the complete collapse of the Russians and/or the overthrow of Putin would provide any chance of a total victory.

well I don’t know how successful it will be (although hoping it will be very successful) but until Ukraine has given it it’s best shot, there is no chance of a negotiated peace deal.

Small steps:

"Ukraine has fulfilled all 7 recommendations of the European Commission for a candidate country for the European Union and expects an interim report from the European authorities by the end of spring, Prime Minister of Ukraine Denys Shmyhal said." (Twitter).

Reported today that the US think Russia has lost 20k troops dead and 80k wounded in its failed Bakhmutt offensive with half of them coming from the Wagner group. The loss is greater than the current size of the British Army. I am surprised the deaths and injuries haven’t had more of an impact on ordinary Russians view of the Special Operation as they perhaps see soldiers returning maimed or not returning at all.

Let’s hope Ukraines spring offensive is more successful as a decisive victory for them appears to be the most realistic way of ending the conflict quickly and limiting the loss of life.

Paywalled.
Sorry, I thought that The Atlantic allowed you one free article. The concluding paragraphs:

Evidently some wonder not whether the counteroffensive can succeed, but whether it should succeed. The fear that Putin will use nuclear weapons to defend Crimea lurks just under the surface—but we have told him that the response to this would have “catastrophic consequences” for Russia; this is why deterrence is so important. The urge to preserve the status quo, and the fear of what could follow Putin, is just as strong. French President Emmanuel Macron has said openly that Russia should be defeated but not “crushed.” Yet even the worst successor imaginable, even the bloodiest general or most rabid propagandist, will immediately be preferable to Putin, because he will be weaker than Putin. He will quickly become the focus of an intense power struggle. He will not have grandiose dreams about his place in history. He will not be obsessed with Potemkin. He will not be responsible for starting this war, and he could have an easier time ending it.

In Western capitals, preoccupation with the consequences of a Russian defeat has meant far too little time spent thinking about the consequences of a Ukrainian victory. After all, the Ukrainians aren’t the only ones hoping that their success can support and sustain a civilizational change. Russia, as it is currently governed, is a source of instability not just in Ukraine but around the world. Russian mercenaries prop up dictatorships in Africa; Russian hackers undermine political debate and elections all across the democratic world. The investments of Russian companies keep dictators in power in Minsk, in Caracas, in Tehran. A Ukrainian victory would immediately inspire people fighting for human rights and the rule of law, wherever they are. In a recent conversation in Washington, a Belarusian activist spoke about his organization’s plans to reactivate the Belarusian opposition movement. For the moment, it is still working in secret, underground. “Everyone is waiting for the counteroffensive,” he said.

And he is right. Ukrainians are waiting for the counteroffensive. Europeans, East and West, are waiting for the counteroffensive. Central Asians are waiting for the counteroffensive. Belarusians, Venezuelans, Iranians, and others around the world whose dictatorships are propped up by the Russians—they are all waiting for the counteroffensive too. This spring, this summer, this autumn, Ukraine gets a chance to alter geopolitics for a generation. And so does the United States.

advertisement

Back