advertisement

Ukraine V

i apologize if anything i wrote hurt you, there was no intention. i even can't remember what it was.

yes there were technical similarities between two federations but obviously so-called "international community" (USA and other western countries under its dictate) applied double standards to USSR and yugoslavia when it comes to succession. happy to see west hit back in their face for that.

PS. FYI my nationality is not serbian. on the last census this winter i declared as yugoslav. i was born in yugoslavia and i am happy to belong to a small group of people who still believe in the great, supranationalistic idea this country was once based on. it's irrelevant for anything, but given the flood of idiocy about me, just to have clean facts.

As you're such a lover of cold war Yugoslavia how would you have felt if Germany had invaded and claimed Croatia as it its own by citing historical and cultural links during the Tito years?

WHATABOUTISM ‼️

Not at all.

Rather, a similar hypothetical scenario for our Yugoslav member to ponder on and possibly reflect on how he would have felt had the country he loved been similarly attacked and occupied by an invader using similar justification to Russias.

i apologize if anything i wrote hurt you, there was no intention. i even can't remember what it was.

yes there were technical similarities between two federations but obviously so-called "international community" (USA and other western countries under its dictate) applied double standards to USSR and yugoslavia when it comes to succession. happy to see west hit back in their face for that.

PS. FYI my nationality is not serbian. on the last census this winter i declared as yugoslav. i was born in yugoslavia and i am happy to belong to a small group of people who still believe in the great, supranationalistic idea this country was once based on. it's irrelevant for anything, but given the flood of idiocy about me, just to have clean facts.

I still struggle with Yugoslavian politics, spent my first honeymoon there and loved it but people were already warning that there would be trouble when Tito died.

My father spent some time there in WW2 living off the land.

It's a pity so much of the world is ruined by humans (mostly men) wanting to kill and oppress each other.

PS. FYI my nationality is not serbian. on the last census this winter i declared as yugoslav. i was born in yugoslavia and i am happy to belong to a small group of people who still believe in the great, supranationalistic idea this country was once based on
Interesting. I always call myself English, as I consider Britain to be an imperial construct. An English one, admittedly, but I don't feel responsible for my ancestors' misdemeanours.
Not equating this with Yugoslavia, BTW, just a curiousity.

Make Yugoslavia Great Again.

Because dictatorships are so cool.
Presuming that was sarcasm, from what little I know about Tito, it seems as if he was a benevolent Dictator who retained popular support and was seen a liberator from the previous monarchy rule that he overthrew.

His rule was characterised by nationalisation of key industries and according to wiki, under Tito, “the Yugoslav economy achieved significant growth and modernization during its existence, with a particularly strong emphasis on education, health care, and social welfare.”

ISTM that some leading modern democracies could learn the lesson of stimulating economic growth with improvements to education, health care and social welfare instead of decimating them and then wondering why economic growth and improvements have also become a thing of the past?

Tito did I think have a taste for luxury and ostentation, but then was it more, or less than say, Sunak, Blair, Trump, Johnson etc?

Interesting. I always call myself English, as I consider Britain to be an imperial construct. An English one, admittedly, but I don't feel responsible for my ancestors' misdemeanours.
Not equating this with Yugoslavia, BTW, just a curiousity.
Or you could view Britannia as a geographic construct that predates the Romans and the onset of imperialism?

You might have to start painting yourself in woad mind.

Or you could view Britannia as a geographic construct that predates the Romans and the onset of imperialism?

You might have to start painting yourself in woad mind.
Wasn't Britannia simply a Roman name for these isles?
Nowt wrong with a bit of woad, mind.

Although a lot better than some dictators of that time, he was far from benevolence towards everyone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titoism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informbiro_period

Yes, should’ve put ‘benevolent’ in quotes, not my word but how he was described by others.

Like I say, I don’t know much about Tito, but a comparison of authoritarianism and benevolence towards ordinary people between Tito and say, Thatcher, might be interesting. At least Tito didn’t claim to be a democrat.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back