advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

England won because of a moment of individual brilliance by an incredibly gifted player and not because Southgate is in any way a decent manager.
Since 1966 England have won 6 games in knockout tournament matches up to 2016. Under Southgate's guidance England have won 6 in 8 years, make of that what you will.

England won because of a moment of individual brilliance by an incredibly gifted player and not because Southgate is in any way a decent manager.
It’s interesting how things change. The general consensus seemed to be that Bellingham was cooked/overrated & should have been rested but he was decisive in the end.

Kane was also unfit etc but…

I am really struggling to get to a handle on this team, they do seem very attached to the manager while also acting to get him sacked.

It’s interesting how things change. The general consensus seemed to be that Bellingham was cooked/overrated & should have been rested but he was decisive in the end.

Kane was also unfit etc but…

I am really struggling to get to a handle on this team, they do seem very attached to the manager while also acting to get him sacked.
It's nothing new, England looking disjointed with players out of position is par for the course, as is poor performances. It normally ends in heroic defeats but i would be more than happy to play shite & lift the trophy for a change. I still think Germany will win this tournament, even after Spain's excellent performance tonight.

Very lucky draws (for qualifiers, groups and finals).
He has been lucky for sure but so have previous England teams over the years & have gone home early or not qualified to take part.

He deserves criticism as do the players this tournament but his record speaks for itself, you can't really knock it because it is above & beyond every England manager since Sir Alf won the world cup. Certainly not a shit manager, as you put it, this is just an uninformed knee jerk reaction to recent poor performances.

England have played quite poorly in this tournament but have won the group, placing them in the easier side of the draw & have reached the quarter final. It's not all doom & gloom.

He has been lucky for sure but so have previous England teams over the years & have gone home early or not qualified to take part.

He deserves criticism as do the players this tournament but his record speaks for itself, you can't really knock it because it is above & beyond every England manager since Sir Alf won the world cup. Certainly not a shit manager, as you put it, this is just an uninformed knee jerk reaction to recent poor performances.

England have played quite poorly in this tournament but have won the group, placing them in the easier side of the draw & have reached the quarter final. It's not all doom & gloom.
He’s on a par with someone like David Moyes.

I think you'll find that was me.
I've been slagging Southgate off for years though.
What else would you have wanted him to do considering past England tournaments. To win 6 knockouts in 8 years & reach a final, the first since 1966, compared to 6 knockouts in 38 years is some achievement. It is in fact an exceptional achievement.

He’s on a par with someone like David Moyes.
More to do with the style of play than the achievement. England fans want up & at 'em, goals galore, exciting football, like the premiere league. This will result in more loss & more heartache because at this level teams will pick you apart. Being pragmatic has achieved far more over the last 8 years.

What else would you have wanted him to do considering past England tournaments. To win 6 knockouts in 8 years & reach a final, the first since 1966, compared to 6 knockouts in 38 years is some achievement. It is in fact an exceptional achievement.
We've never beaten anyone ranked higher than us during his tenure. He's had easy passages and failed to beat a mediocre Italian team at home in the Euro 2020 final.
I don't rate him tactically.
Lots of people don't.
Lots of people do.

More to do with the style of play than the achievement. England fans want up & at 'em, goals galore, exciting football, like the premiere league. This will result in more loss & more heartache because at this level teams will pick you apart. Being pragmatic has achieved far more over the last 8 years.
Pragmatic or just sheer ultra negative football? It’s diabolically turgid stuff. We’re blessed with great talent in this England team and we should be pressing (as Spain did) from the very start. He was a gnat’s cock away from getting sacked in the morning if it wasn’t for Bellingham’s last minute effort against Slovakia.

Like what? he's won feck all, and got an OBE for it, and bored the living daylights out of the fansNot
Maybe the OBE is for the way he and his players have conducted themselves compared with what went before rather than achievements on the pitch.

People like you have short memories -- the two tournaments prior to his appointments (didnt get out of the group in Brazil WC followed by R16 defeat to Iceland) were unmitigated disasters.

With a bang average squad (Eric Dyer in midfield, Jessie Lingard upfront) he took us to the semifinal in 2018.

To correct a few gobshites on here the 2020 Euros were not at home but a pan European thing eg the 4-0 win over Ukraine was not at Wembley. And the bang average Italian team that beat us in the final won all three group games without conceding a goal and went onto beat Spain and a lauded Belgium team on the way to the final. Southgate achieved this with less than brilliant players at his disposal (Mount and Stirling for example).

The expectation had changed over the last couple of years for sure with the advent of some young exciting players. Apart from the US game, England were excellent in Qatar but missed out, and I accept this, perhaps due to Southgate's tactical naivety.

The present tournament is the exception in that he seems to have lost the plot to the delight of the boo boys. You will get your wish very soon as I am certain he has no desire to continue. He has always taken two year contracts to be reviewed on the completion of major tournaments.

Up thread I did ask for suggestions on his replacement (I proffered Cloghie) but didn't get many responses so come on all the know alls (Weekender, Pravda etc) who in your esteemed opinion should be the next manager?

Last edited:
The fact that England have horribly underperformed since 1970 doesn’t really make me feel better that they’re underperforming now.

Still, they might limp to the final and if they do, Southgate somehow needs to get a decent performance against a top team and actually win something.

advertisement

Back