advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

Missed the Turkey game but caught the Holland one - they looked good especially in midfield just where England have looked v bad. Of course we have to beat Switzerland first - they looked very strong in the wide area which might play into our defensive strength in Walker and Trippier.

Anyway, there is no getting away how awful we have been to watch this tournament but as I think Shearer put it this is now our identity and Southgate is unlikely to change it mid competition.

As a final thought, I thought I would share the summary of the bit of research I did in to our recent record:

The 10 tournaments preceding Southgate going back to 98 (Hoddle) we made it to the knockout stages 7 times having not even qualified in 2008 (Mclaren) or out of the group stage in 2000 (Keegan) and 2014 (Hodgson). Obvs, as we won none of those competitions we must have lost 7 games in the KO stage at some point to exit the competition but the really sad bit is we only won 2 games on the way (3-0 Denmark in 2002 WC and 1-0 Ecuador in 2006 WC). So combined KO record of Ericsson, Mclaren, Capello and Hodgson = won 2 lost 7.

In contrast, Southgate's England have not only qualified for all 4 tournaments whilst he has been at the helm, they have also progressed from the group stage to the KO rounds. His record so far = won 7 lost 3.

Before anyone says he has better players at his disposal I think that is debatable given previous managers had Gerrard, Scoles, Cole, Ferdinand, Beckham etc. So maybe, just maybe...he knows what he's doing despite the evidence in front of our eyes.

The final 16 matches have been great so far! Germany and Spain were fantastic. Portugal-Slovenia and France-Belgium were thrillers. The Netherlands walked all over Rumania and played their first decent match. Didn’t watch Turkey, but sopposed to be a great game too. What a relief after the first (boring!) round!!

So maybe, just maybe...he knows what he's doing despite the evidence in front of our eyes.
Forrest Gump school of management.

I said to my son last night "I've selected a cushion to scream into for the Switzerland game".
He said "Are you expecting a b*gg*ring?"
I said "I think I'd prefer a b*gg*ring than having to watch another England performance".
We do have some odd conversations.

I think I may have breached the AUP. So have England.

Austria - losing round of 16 at Euro 2020; losing round of 16 at Euro 2024. Gegenpressing needs some work.

Euro 2024 seems to be turning into a bit of keeper tournament.

Potential England/Spain final.

Missed the Turkey game but caught the Holland one - they looked good especially in midfield just where England have looked v bad. Of course we have to beat Switzerland first - they looked very strong in the wide area which might play into our defensive strength in Walker and Trippier.

Anyway, there is no getting away how awful we have been to watch this tournament but as I think Shearer put it this is now our identity and Southgate is unlikely to change it mid competition.

As a final thought, I thought I would share the summary of the bit of research I did in to our recent record:

The 10 tournaments preceding Southgate going back to 98 (Hoddle) we made it to the knockout stages 7 times having not even qualified in 2008 (Mclaren) or out of the group stage in 2000 (Keegan) and 2014 (Hodgson). Obvs, as we won none of those competitions we must have lost 7 games in the KO stage at some point to exit the competition but the really sad bit is we only won 2 games on the way (3-0 Denmark in 2002 WC and 1-0 Ecuador in 2006 WC). So combined KO record of Ericsson, Mclaren, Capello and Hodgson = won 2 lost 7.

In contrast, Southgate's England have not only qualified for all 4 tournaments whilst he has been at the helm, they have also progressed from the group stage to the KO rounds. His record so far = won 7 lost 3.

Before anyone says he has better players at his disposal I think that is debatable given previous managers had Gerrard, Scoles, Cole, Ferdinand, Beckham etc. So maybe, just maybe...he knows what he's doing despite the evidence in front of our eyes.
Its the odd narrative around England games over the years. The players are never quite as good as we think they are & the managers are rarely as bad.

You have to be pretty good to be given the chance to be an England manager, even McClaren has a strong track record of coaching & he did play professionally. There are a handful of elite managers who win things, even the beloved Pep has not won many Champions Leagues & he has every resource at his disposal.

Southgate is an FA man, as much a politician as a manager & I actually think this is what's required for international management.

The football can be boring & frustrating though but that's the nature of it.

advertisement

Back