advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

Southgate is a lucky manager. We had the easiest group and then a last 16 game against on of the weaker teams left in. For England to score in injury after that performance was unbelievable, a game we won when we should have been on the plane home today.
Why did he leave his substitutions so late, I've just read Toney was disgusted with Southgate for bringing him on with only 3 minutes left, I can understand that which makes me wonder if the players are behind the manager even though they say they are to the press. With Southgate's final two substitutions it is not difficult to see his intent, sit back and hang on. I really don't like these tactics, England should still be trying to score, unfortunately that is what you get from Southgate. No real idea except defend and hope someone will produce a 'bit of magic'.

You're not a lover of the beautiful game then. I love watching teams who can play football, the goal by Nico Williams was shear magic imo.
It’s a pity Wales didn’t qualify just to see full back Neco Williams go up against Spanish winger …erm …Nico Williams to see how the commentator handles it.

Southgate is a lucky manager. We had the easiest group and then a last 16 game against on of the weaker teams left in. For England to score in injury after that performance was unbelievable, a game we won when we should have been on the plane home today.
Why did he leave his substitutions so late, I've just read Toney was disgusted with Southgate for bringing him on with only 3 minutes left, I can understand that which makes me wonder if the players are behind the manager even though they say they are to the press. With Southgate's final two substitutions it is not difficult to see his intent, sit back and hang on. I really don't like these tactics, England should still be trying to score, unfortunately that is what you get from Southgate. No real idea except defend and hope someone will produce a 'bit of magic'.
I’m sure you’re right and had Ericsson, Capello or Hodgson been in charge we would have pissed each game 8-0.

I’m sure you’re right and had Ericsson, Capello or Hodgson been in charge we would have pissed each game 8-0.
I don't know how to take your post, international teams don't 'knock in' 8 goals per game nowadays, most teams are on the ball when it comes to defending. Are you a lover of any of the 3 managers you mention or even Southgate and his tactics, it is just not the way I see football played and never will.

Maybe the OBE is for the way he and his players have conducted themselves compared with what went before rather than achievements on the pitch.

People like you have short memories -- the two tournaments prior to his appointments (didnt get out of the group in Brazil WC followed by R16 defeat to Iceland) were unmitigated disasters.

With a bang average squad (Eric Dyer in midfield, Jessie Lingard upfront) he took us to the semifinal in 2018.

To correct a few gobshites on here the 2020 Euros were not at home but a pan European thing eg the 4-0 win over Ukraine was not at Wembley. And the bang average Italian team that beat us in the final won all three group games without conceding a goal and went onto beat Spain and a lauded Belgium team on the way to the final. Southgate achieved this with less than brilliant players at his disposal (Mount and Stirling for example).

The expectation had changed over the last couple of years for sure with the advent of some young exciting players. Apart from the US game, England were excellent in Qatar but missed out, and I accept this, perhaps due to Southgate's tactical naivety.

The present tournament is the exception in that he seems to have lost the plot to the delight of the boo boys. You will get your wish very soon as I am certain he has no desire to continue. He has always taken two year contracts to be reviewed on the completion of major tournaments.

Up thread I did ask for suggestions on his replacement (I proffered Cloghie) but didn't get many responses so come on all the know alls (Weekender, Pravda etc) who in your esteemed opinion should be the next manager?
Excellent post.

The players do seem to like him. I thought we were awful last night but key players ended up coming through. It’s still a funny old game.

A lot is made of Southgate's record in knockout stages, so here it is:

England World Cup knockout-stage record under Southgate

2018 World Cup Round of 16 England 1-1 Colombia (England won 4-3 on pens)
2018 World Cup Quarterfinal England 2-0 Sweden
2018 World Cup Semifinal England 1-2 Croatia
2018 World Cup 3rd place match England 0-2 Belgium
2022 World Cup Round of 16 England 3-0 Senegal
2022 World Cup Quarterfinal England 1-2 France

England European Championship knockout-stage record under Southgate

Euro 2020 Round of 16 England 2-0 Germany
Euro 2020 Quarterfinal England 4-0 Ukraine
Euro 2020 Semifinal England 2-1 Denmark
Euro 2020 Final England 1-1 Italy (Italy won 3-2 on pens)
Euro 2024 Round of 16 England 2-1 Slovakia

The only scalp of any note so far was beating the worst German team ever.

Unfortunately due to the teams recent so called success in winning nothing the press and pundits have piled on the pressure/expectations and the team and manager seem to be unable to deal with it.
Gary Neville was a terrible manager yet he still considers himself a more tactical thinker than Southgate.
Southgate is a good guy trying his best as are his players. He isn’t a risk taker and prefers to set his teams up to be solid rather than flamboyant. At the end of the day the players are not gelling, he must know this and has to think of personnel changes or a different formation. The latter being a hard thing to do mid tournament but probably worth a go now.
Still we did win so let’s hope it gets better.
Also can the fans at the stadium please get behind the team and stop booing & throwing cups at Southgate. How they think that provides a platform for success on the pitch is beyond me.
FWITS!

Maybe the OBE is for the way he and his players have conducted themselves compared with what went before rather than achievements on the pitch.

People like you have short memories -- the two tournaments prior to his appointments (didnt get out of the group in Brazil WC followed by R16 defeat to Iceland) were unmitigated disasters.

With a bang average squad (Eric Dyer in midfield, Jessie Lingard upfront) he took us to the semifinal in 2018.

To correct a few gobshites on here the 2020 Euros were not at home but a pan European thing eg the 4-0 win over Ukraine was not at Wembley. And the bang average Italian team that beat us in the final won all three group games without conceding a goal and went onto beat Spain and a lauded Belgium team on the way to the final. Southgate achieved this with less than brilliant players at his disposal (Mount and Stirling for example).

The expectation had changed over the last couple of years for sure with the advent of some young exciting players. Apart from the US game, England were excellent in Qatar but missed out, and I accept this, perhaps due to Southgate's tactical naivety.

The present tournament is the exception in that he seems to have lost the plot to the delight of the boo boys. You will get your wish very soon as I am certain he has no desire to continue. He has always taken two year contracts to be reviewed on the completion of major tournaments.

Up thread I did ask for suggestions on his replacement (I proffered Cloghie) but didn't get many responses so come on all the know alls (Weekender, Pravda etc) who in your esteemed opinion should be the next manager?
Its impossible to debate with you and your tone, I wont engage with you, so just leave it alone please.

A lot is made of Southgate's record in knockout stages, so here it is:

England World Cup knockout-stage record under Southgate

2018 World Cup Round of 16 England 1-1 Colombia (England won 4-3 on pens)
2018 World Cup Quarterfinal England 2-0 Sweden
2018 World Cup Semifinal England 1-2 Croatia
2018 World Cup 3rd place match England 0-2 Belgium
2022 World Cup Round of 16 England 3-0 Senegal
2022 World Cup Quarterfinal England 1-2 France

England European Championship knockout-stage record under Southgate

Euro 2020 Round of 16 England 2-0 Germany
Euro 2020 Quarterfinal England 4-0 Ukraine
Euro 2020 Semifinal England 2-1 Denmark
Euro 2020 Final England 1-1 Italy (Italy won 3-2 on pens)
Euro 2024 Round of 16 England 2-1 Slovakia

The only scalp of any note so far was beating the worst German team ever.
Excellent work but for a bit of balance let's compare and contrast with our record in the preceding four tournaments;

2010 WC
Lost to Germany 4-1 in R16

Lost to Italy on penalties after a 0-0

Did not qualify for the knockout stage

Lost to Iceland 2-1 in R16

For clarity these are ALL of our games in the knockout stages of those four competitions (I am not being selective or cherry picking) - so played 3 lost 3 - oh I pine for those halcyon days.

Well, that confirms that Walker is already on a beach somewhere and that Stones has joined him. Time to drop them (and Foden) following a brutal Cup Final. Won't happen, of course. The backline though needs some serious thought. The team could also do with a few more players who play North-South instead of the East-West. Biking legend Gordon is one. Anyway, our name is on the cup, and Gareth, if you are reading this, don't be afraid to use your subs.

Excellent work but for a bit of balance let's compare and contrast with our record in the preceding four tournaments;

2010 WC
Lost to Germany 4-1 in R16

Lost to Italy on penalties after a 0-0

Did not qualify for the knockout stage

Lost to Iceland 2-1 in R16

For clarity these are ALL of our games in the knockout stages of those four competitions (I am not being selective or cherry picking) - so played 3 lost 3 - oh I pine for those halcyon days.
Roy Hodgson doesn't count :)

I don't have a short memory. I've been watching football since 1974.

I did not say the Euros in 2020 were at home. I said the final against Italy was. Italy needed extra time to beat Austria and pens to beat Spain. They were mediocre but well coached by Mancini. Southgate was negative in the final after we took an early lead. A familiar story.

Calling other posters gobshites and know alls is unhelpful. I can understand it as emotions inevitably run high after another frustrating game. I for one apologise for calling Gareth a "sh1t" manager. My opinion of him hasn't changed.

N
It's impossible to debate with you and your tone, I wont engage with you, so just leave it alone please.
Nope. If you post something I disagree with or I consider needs a bit of explanation then I will challenge the content of your post - it's what happens on a social media platforms - as long as I am not being abusive of course and I don't think I am.

advertisement

Back