advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

So we're through and have landed on the 'easier' side of the draw. Our name is practically on the cup! That said, there are a few things that are not working. The backs are slow and can't seem to distribute the ball with any purpose or creativity at the moment. Walker seems to have checked out to a beach somewhere and Stones is lagging. And Trippier is not Shaw. The midfield is a cluttered mess. Bellingham and Foden in their current positions does not work. And Bellingham is becoming less and less effective with each game. He also looks knackered. Maybe bench him and start Kane in the midfield just for fun. The (correct) subs in the second half should have come on at halftime. Southgate, who is a risk-averse, cautious manager, now faces his own nightmare - whether to take a few risks and start some of the youngsters and second-choice picks or stick with his trusted starting 11 in the next match. A nice problem to have in the qualifying rounds but not in the last 16 of a major tournament.

IMG-20240626-WA0000.jpg

I thought you were claiming to know all the answers with your opening remark "What a load of tosh"
Perhaps you would explain your original remark "The players do play with each other all the time, that’s not really how international football works."
because that is not what you are saying now!
I'm not saying we should be 'rolling over teams', but it would be good to see some understanding between the players of this standard, they should be coached by the manager as to how he wants them to play and what he expects of the opposition, is that too much to ask from someone paid £4.8m per year?
I've never been a fan of Southgate, although like many, hoped he would be a success when first appointed. I still live in hope that we will get it right in the next game but changes have to be made.
Ha, yes, apologies a typo, that meant to to 'don't' rather than 'do'. The fact that I acknowledge a lack of certainty on such matters is a more realistic perspective. The players are 'coached' very little within the England set up comparatively to the time spent with their clubs, this is pretty obvious. The players are probably receiving conflicting messages & are suddenly having to perform in a team with, in some cases, lesser talent.

I believe that we over hype players, very few England internationals ever leave the premier league, I think this puts us at a massive disadvantage & probably says more about our true level. I've seen terrible, I was a Huddersfield Town season ticket holder for 5 years!

As ever with international tournaments, a lot of people with no abiding interest or knowledge of football suddenly become experts. The standard at this tournament has been pretty low across the board thus far, France have yet to score a goal in open play, Austria have surprised many (with a manager who is also apparently crap).

We have topped the group, many teams have played far worse. I think Roy Keane was very level headed in his analysis, what's happened is now done, if we beat the Netherlands then who knows. As a thought exercise, would you rather tale the shackles off & lose 3-2 or scrape a one nil win? Southgate will get criticised either way.

Southgate, who is a risk-averse, cautious manager, now faces his own nightmare - whether to take a few risks and start some of the youngsters and second-choice picks or stick with his trusted starting 11 in the next match. A nice problem to have in qualifying rounds but not in the last 16 of a major tournament.
"Gareth Southgate wears a life jacket to wash his car".
Top comment on the Rest is Football YT.

We have topped the group, many teams have played far worse. I think Roy Keane was very level headed in his analysis, what's happened is now done, if we beat the Netherlands then who knows. As a thought exercise, would you rather tale the shackles off & lose 3-2 or scrape a one nil win? Southgate will get criticised either way.

Not sure about that. I'd say many teams have played better, especially the underrated ones. They have certainly scored more goals.

Not sure about that. I'd say many teams have played better, especially the underrated ones. They have certainly scored more goals.
Well, yes, fair point, it does seem that the fancied teams have underperformed. The Austria manager has already been judged to be crap by various armchair experts, he was pretty much a laughing stock at united.

I do think it shows that the international game is very competitive, even lowly teams are actually pretty good.

Was there really no other left back eligible to play for England in whole of Blighty or beyond that he could have brought?

Now of course if Shaw regains fitness and stays fit his gamble will have paid off so who knows?

I think if Southgate picks a team to beat his opponents by asking questions like - who would be the best centre forward to play against Van Dyke? Toney, Watkins or Kane and choose accordingly, England could go the distance.

.sjb

Well, yes, fair point, it does seem that the fancied teams have underperformed. The Austria manager has already been judged to be crap by various armchair experts, he was pretty much a laughing stock at united.

I do think it shows that the international game is very competitive, even lowly teams are actually pretty good.

He is decent - on the national level. I just wonder how long the Austrians can keep it up though. The fairly poor Dutch exposed them pretty easily despite losing the game (Virgil!).

Was there really no other left back eligible to play for England in whole of Blighty or beyond that he could have brought?
He has one in the team. Saka started at left back for Arsenal. He should have played there yesterday with Gordon infront, given the experimental nature of Southgate's team in the first three games. Ian Wright made the point and he knows Saka better than most. Bit risky now I admit.

After 3 games I really have no idea what Southgate is trying to achieve with England's midfield and by god it has been awful to watch.
We have an embarrassment of talent and it seams to have completely befuddled him.

I can only hope (pray) that the 'experiment' selecting TAA or Gallagher in a midfield position is now dead and buried.
We got a glimpse of the promised land (Gordon + Palmer) - Palmer looked so good that it would be unbelievable if he does not start against whoever we play next. Why Gordon had to wait until the 89th minute I have no idea.

Jude Bellingham just voted La Liga player of the season should be the absolute shining star of the team. With each game he has become less & less effective. Again I have no idea what his brief is from manager Southgate.

Top Bundesliga scorer, Harry Kane should also be running the show up front. Maybe Barney whatsit in the Guardian knows more than we do as he hints about Kane's fitness and that would maybe explain his very muted performances so far. England have scored as many goals as Scotland in 3 games so far.

It could and should be so much better.
I can only presume Southgate is jacking it in after the tournament

I see someone beat me to the reply - Saka is at least left footed and has played there on occasion at U21 level and for Arsenal, but not sure that is a great idea for a tournament - mind you if you're desperate.....

If you look at the U21 England squad, you'll see a dearth of left backs. Depending on which website you look at they number zero or maybe 1

He is decent - on the national level. I just wonder how long the Austrians can keep it up though. The fairly poor Dutch exposed them pretty easily despite losing the game (Virgil!).
I think it just goes to show that if a team is familiar with a system and players know their roles then the sum can be greater than the parts. England seem to be proving the opposite at the moment...hence the frustration. Although as has been said ad nauseum a few changes of personnel and positions might help.
Gordon on the left
Foden in the middle
Palmer on the right (he deserves a start)
Jude as an 8.

I think it just goes to show that if a team is familiar with a system and players know their roles then the sum can be greater than the parts. England seem to be proving the opposite at the moment...hence the frustration. Although as has been said ad nauseum a few changes of personnel and positions might help.
Gordon on the left
Foden in the middle
Palmer on the right (he deserves a start)
Jude as an 8.
This is IT!
We may argue about who, but the positions are clear.
I prefer Palmer to Saka, personally, but then I also prefer Eze to Gordon.
Bellingham is NOT a 10.

Palmer plays right wing regularly for his club.
Foden plays as a 10 regularly for his club.
Gordon plays on the left wing regularly for his club.
Bellingham plays as an 8 regularly for his club.

I have not seen enough of Mainoo to comment too much, but he seems an obvious replacement for Jude.

This is IT!
We may argue about who, but the positions are clear.
I prefer Palmer to Saka, personally, but then I also prefer Eze to Gordon.
Bellingham is NOT a 10.

I have not seen enough of Mainoo to comment too much, but he seems an obvious replacement for Jude.
I would like to make room for Palmer but if possible not at the expense of Saka, though i can see that last night's game might have suited Palmer. I think Palmer is less predictable and more skillful but Saka is an output machine, at least for his club, and frequently handles two opponents on him for much of the game.

Rather like Arjen Robben for Chelsea and Holland, you know what he's going to do but you can't do much about it.

Although the game was rather dull I thought most of the team performed quite well given their respective qualities, the problem was the manager who should have made braver selections or at least substitutions.

Well done for bringing on Mainoo early but the lateness of Gordon's inclusion was a joke.

Although Southgate has little time with them, he is a tactical genius and brilliant communicator, so we can bamboozle the opposition by playing them all out of position during the group stage. Managerial masterclass, the Dutch won’t have a clue.

Yes, its very easy to mock but top level sport is a hard & brutal business. Fine margins etc

advertisement

Back