advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

What a load of tosh. You bring a squad of players to cover injury & make changes. The players do play with each other all the time, that’s not really how international football works.

I suppose it explains why Southgate is a football manager & you are not;)
You're off again, the man who missed most of the first half!
You bring a squad of players to cover for injury and make changes, unfortunately Southgate is not making changes (something you have failed to see). Please tell us how international football works if practicing and training are not part of the procedure.
Woodface for next England manager? I'm not England manager because I was not good enough as a player, that doesn't take away my ability to see an unbalanced side.

I feared we were seeing another phase of English football where the results are more important than playing entertaining football. A bit like the long ball game, Arsenal and Don Howe or Terry Butcher. Then I woke up this morning to see it's not the results either so it must be the outcomes. Is yawning your way to the final really the way to play football?

@gavreid Most of the players in this competition have had long seasons with Europe's top clubs, do they really want to be playing more football?
I think 36 games have been played and only 8 teams are eliminated! Is there a wonder we are being bored to death, let's hope the knock-out stages produce some better football.

Can somebody please explain what happens to Slovenia in third place with the same metrics as Denmark? I see they have been positioned in third based on European ranking but why were there so happy to have drawn against England tonight, as if they had qualified, thereby turning the last 16 into 17?

ranking in qualifying - and also head to heads in qualifying, if in the same qualufying group which Denmark and Slovenia were

but the BBC say this

so who knows........

@gavreid Most of the players in this competition have had long seasons with Europe's top clubs, do they really want to be playing more football?
I think 36 games have been played and only 8 teams are eliminated! Is there a wonder we are being bored to death, let's hope the knock-out stages produce some better football.
If the players are burnt out then there isn't enough competition for places. However, I think it's more fundamental than that, they don't sit back but they also don't press. What is their game? Do they know? It's aimless football!

That was dull.
Qualified in top spot - as expected, but duller than a dull thing from dull land, though I did think we were a little better.
Eventually, Southgate may realise that two wingers are required, and Foden should play as a ten.
No single player has played well - this is about systems, as has been said.

You're off again, the man who missed most of the first half!
You bring a squad of players to cover for injury and make changes, unfortunately Southgate is not making changes (something you have failed to see). Please tell us how international football works if practicing and training are not part of the procedure.
Woodface for next England manager? I'm not England manager because I was not good enough as a player, that doesn't take away my ability to see an unbalanced side.
I am not claiming to know the answers, that is the differences. International players don’t train together very often, this is a well known facet of the the game. Has been for ever.

Unlike ‘expert’ supporters like yourself who are fine students of the game I acknowledge that there are no easy answers. Southgate did make changes. Our opponents were unbeaten in 8 games so no mugs. The idea that mighty England should be rolling over these teams is laughable, we are not very successful as a nation. The last 50 odd years are hardly down to Southgate.

Ultimately, I think you will get your wish after the tournament, Southgate will be gone so at least you can look forward to untrammelled success as the new man unlocks the potential. Or perhaps not. Maybe we should go back to picking the team by committee or even a fan vote? Imagine how balanced we would be.

I am not claiming to know the answers, that is the differences. International players don’t train together very often, this is a well known facet of the the game. Has been for ever.

Unlike ‘expert’ supporters like yourself who are fine students of the game I acknowledge that there are no easy answers. Southgate did make changes. Our opponents were unbeaten in 8 games so no mugs. The idea that mighty England should be rolling over these teams is laughable, we are not very successful as a nation. The last 50 odd years are hardly down to Southgate.

Ultimately, I think you will get your wish after the tournament, Southgate will be gone so at least you can look forward to untrammelled success as the new man unlocks the potential. Or perhaps not. Maybe we should go back to picking the team by committee or even a fan vote? Imagine how balanced we would be.
I thought you were claiming to know all the answers with your opening remark "What a load of tosh"
Perhaps you would explain your original remark "The players do play with each other all the time, that’s not really how international football works."
because that is not what you are saying now!
I'm not saying we should be 'rolling over teams', but it would be good to see some understanding between the players of this standard, they should be coached by the manager as to how he wants them to play and what he expects of the opposition, is that too much to ask from someone paid £4.8m per year?
I've never been a fan of Southgate, although like many, hoped he would be a success when first appointed. I still live in hope that we will get it right in the next game but changes have to be made.

I think most armchair managers can agree that Southgate is a very conservative, stubborn manager, so just one change - Gallagher for TAA. I think only Southgate thought that was enough. The team that finished the game is the one that should have started since it had balance and most players in the correct position.

Another passive line-up and performance against probably the Dutch doesn't bode well. If they somehow win that, we'll likely have to endure a repeat of the last final, without home advantage.

I blame the supporters, it's their job to lift the team, not the other way around.
We thought the support for England was great through out the game, sheer frustration at seeing another poor performance was why they were booed at the end of the game. Don't forget many supporters are paying a substantial amount to go and see England play, but that is insignificant compared to how much the players and manager are earning. Maybe England fans, myself included, expect too much from the team, but we do seem to have an abundance of talent and also come from the 'home' of football.

England fans as usual doing what they do best...

Please read my above post, also read a few pundits comments, Southgate has to be more flexible and make some hard decisions in his team selection. I would say 90% of supporters can see this, they may well select different players, but some sort of balance in the side has to be there and it is not at the moment. I've never seen an England team with two 'more defensively minded players' have any success, our strengths at present seem to be going forward, but we need an attacking left hand side player, especially if you are playing a right footed full back who looks lost when going past the half way line.

advertisement

Back