advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

You think Graeme Potter would make a good England manager- he couldn't even handle the pressure at Chelsea - they were awful with no discernible pattern of play.
Chelsea seem to have that Mourinho mentality and reminds me of the film The Damned United in regard to Leeds and Revie. Potter was not given enough time, I can't think of anyone else to replace Southgate at the moment, but am open to suggestions.

I agree that's not easy. There are only two English managers in the EPL and I'm not in favour of appointing Sean Dyche. No English manager has won the EPL although Howard Wilkinson did the year before it started. On balance though, I'm in favour of an English manager for the National team. So that leaves Eddie Howe or Graham Potter. Both are less risk-averse than Southgate, both play decent football, both have experience. I might give it to Potter since Chelsea are just a basket case. Hardly a thrilling prospect, I admit, just think Southgate's gone as far as he can. If he proves me wrong through the remainder of this tournament I'll be as happy as anyone.
I'm not adverse to a non English manager, since we have so little to choose from. Young English managers just don't get the time to grow.

I’m not either although I do think our previous non-English managers were a bit of a failed experiment. Granted, better than Roy Hodgson.

I think we should get that Pep bloke. He must have got bored of winning the league every year by now surely?

I do think our previous non-English managers were a bit of a failed experiment
Capello had no experience in the PL having managed in Italy and I think Spain hence seemed to lack manmanagement of our players - that would not be the case should we go for those who were mentioned earlier in Poch, Ange or Mancini.

I think we should get that Pep bloke. He must have got bored of winning the league every year by now surely?
Yes and the Spanish and German leagues before that, what a boring job.

FA should clearly couch the job in terms of 'one of the most difficult in world football, how to get the England football team to play anywhere near their capabilities'

If Pep is not available and Klopp is off to put his feet up or a few years, then the job of coaching the Lionesses Men's Team is probably too big for any one person.

So what about a coaching Dream Team of Wayne Rooney and Gary Neville? As a bonus, Gary will be able to call on Phil to add his expertise in a pinch.

Our top league is loaded with players from around the world which is to an extent why we have such a limited number of top players for selection. We as in our pundits also have a very high opinion of the quality of our players.

I am not so sure that the squad selection was that good although a touch of hindsight is involved. Sadly Walker and Trippier are past their peak, certainly not sure about Shaw ! I would have thought that the City youngster Lewis would have been a good choice or although not sure of international status perhaps a wild guess ??? Doughty of Luton.

In very simple terms the best players combined have no relationship to a TEAM.

England under Southgate have been a struggle to watch and perhaps Arteta could be invited minus Saka to take over.

Like what? he's won feck all, and got an OBE for it, and bored the living daylights out of the fans
On paper at least, he is the most successful England manager since Sir Alf Ramsey, by some margin. We tried the Kevin Keegan route, didn't work.

We've never beaten anyone ranked higher than us during his tenure. He's had easy passages and failed to beat a mediocre Italian team at home in the Euro 2020 final.
I don't rate him tactically.
Lots of people don't.
Lots of people do.
The players also need to take responsibility once on the pitch, they get paid enough t put the thought of lounging on a beach to the back of their mind while playing knockout football.

England didn't get lucky yesterday, they fought until the end & won the match, neither goal was lucky & Slovakia's Prescence on the pitch faded alarmingly after 20 minutes or so, not a great team, we should have won by far more but who gives a toss, England, playing well under par are in the quarters of yet another knockout tournament under this manager. Make you what you will of his tactics & boring persona, but he gets the job done, i'm ok with that.

On paper at least, he is the most successful England manager since Sir Alf Ramsey, by some margin. We tried the Kevin Keegan route, didn't work.
So are you saying that, because KK and his attacking and, at times, naive approach did not work we can never again appoint a manager who likes to play exciting football?

England didn't get lucky yesterday, they fought until the end & won the match, neither goal was lucky & Slovakia's Prescence on the pitch faded alarmingly after 20 minutes or so, not a great team, we should have won by far more but who gives a toss, England, playing well under par are in the quarters of yet another knockout tournament under this manager. Make you what you will of his tactics & boring persona, but he gets the job done, i'm ok with that.
I disagree. We were lucky.
We scored with our first shot on target in the 96th minute. We scored in ET with our second effort on target.
The first goal was a long throw Hail Mary. The second was a poacher's finish after a set piece.
We'll need to be even more lucky if we are to rely on that sort of play against the Swiss.

The players also need to take responsibility once on the pitch, they get paid enough t put the thought of lounging on a beach to the back of their mind while playing knockout football.

Don’t know what game you watched but two shots on target in the game is pathetic. The winner came from a shot going miles wide until it was headed back across goal to Kane by a player who luckily was in the way of it!

advertisement

Back