advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

Every one is entitled to an opinion but not everyone’s are equally weighted or valued. You obviously know **** all about footie - are you a Chelski supporter or American or Scottish?
Your first sentence, is correct, but then you go on to contradict it. I've been an England supporter since 63, which give me the right to my own opinion about how this team is set up by Southface. Just because my views don't coincide with yours doesn't make your knowledge better than mine. Just be civil, it's just a game.

I've been an England supporter since 63
Good so you will remember us not qualifying for the 74 and 78 WCs despite the dominance of English club teams in the European competitions at the time and the loss of every group game in the 88 Euros and not even qualifying for the 92 Euros under Taylor and more recently the tragic sight of Heskey or Kevin Davies in an England shirt with Capello declaring we couldn't play football so would have to go with the route one stuff.

Compare and contrast with Southgate's England. I get the criticism that he may not have the tactical knowledge to take us that little bit further to go and win a major competition but then again neither did the supposed geniuses of Robson and Venables.

I'm optimistic. I like Southgate, he's an excellent manager & we've some top players. I mean, having watched England games since before the 1966 World Cup I know I have acquired the knowledge to manage even better than him if I had the chance!

Good so you will remember us not qualifying for the 74 and 78 WCs despite the dominance of English club teams in the European competitions at the time and the loss of every group game in the 88 Euros and not even qualifying for the 92 Euros under Taylor and more recently the tragic sight of Heskey or Kevin Davies in an England shirt with Capello declaring we couldn't play football so would have to go with the route one stuff.

Compare and contrast with Southgate's England. I get the criticism that he may not have the tactical knowledge to take us that little bit further to go and win a major competition but then again neither did the supposed geniuses of Robson and Venables.
I'm not sure it's fair to compare football of yesteryear, almost everything is different in today's game. I don't even completely blame Southface. I think he's just a front man for the FA, and sets up the team to please them. Almost "play safe, be safe" attitude. Its not what I like to see when watching a game. For fear of repeating myself, is bloody boring. OK so he's won some games, but those games were turgid imo. We have players who could stand with most out there, but he won't play to their strengths like quick one touch football, instead it's "pass it back and rebuild" giving all the time, for the opposition to regroup. And yes, I'd rather lose and see exciting football the have to put up with someone idiots idea of a game.

Anyway he's won nothing with his style. Wales and Scotland have won nothing either, but they're better on the eye, imo

And yes, I'd rather lose and see exciting football the have to put up with someone idiots idea of a game.
I watch motorbike racing, and a regular comment is that it is easier to stop a fast rider crashing than to make a safe rider faster. So improving an exciting player, or team, will probably be easier than making a safe team more successful.

Having watched the plus 1 event, I was surprised, that with Engerlands talent, there was once again, a lack of ideas against a reasonably poor side.
But I'm never really surprised.

The first half was average; the second was better. Serbia, a more talented side, might adopt the same/similar tactics as B-H. It will interesting to see how our first string deal with that.

I watch motorbike racing, and a regular comment is that it is easier to stop a fast rider crashing than to make a safe rider faster. So improving an exciting player, or team, will probably be easier than making a safe team more successful.
WTF.

All the more delicious for Pravda's like which just confers extra WTFness on it, especially as only two posts earlier he thought it unfair to compare football now with football of yesteryear but he thinks it's entirely reasonable to compare football now with ....erm.... motorbike racing :).

And to think I struggled to get out of bed this morning.

Next potential excitement (if you can call it that) is which half dozen fall out of the squad at the weekend.

As a Palace fan I’d be surprised if all four make it but I thought Eze was more impressive than Grealish that’s for sure. Wharton may well fall away but he made some clever passes last night…..

No idea why we would want 4 keepers so one of those has to go. Wasn’t that impressed with Bowen last night.

I think Palmer and Eze were very decent. No one else really stood out.

Jack's game has been stifled since leaving Villa.

Be nice if he could replicate that for the Euros

It was the first time I have seen Wharton play - he looked completely at ease at this level and in stark contrast to Ollie Watkins. Maddison looked desperate to impress Southgate - but did he do enough?

I think Palmer and Eze were very decent. No one else really stood out.

Jack's game has been stifled since leaving Villa.

Be nice if he could replicate that for the Euros
I would like to see Jack back at The Villa (not going to happen), he and TAA were excellent yesterday. I always worried about him moving to City going from top dog to a squad player.

Next potential excitement (if you can call it that) is which half dozen fall out of the squad at the weekend.

As a Palace fan I’d be surprised if all four make it but I thought Eze was more impressive than Grealish that’s for sure. Wharton may well fall away but he made some clever passes last night…..

No idea why we would want 4 keepers so one of those has to go. Wasn’t that impressed with Bowen last night.
Eze, who ran around a lot and did nothing else, was better than Grealish, who assisted in two goals in the 25 minutes he played.
Really???

i don't mind if we win boring - yes it would be nice to entertain all the time, but boring can be highly tactical and very skillful

I certainly didn't see anything (in the highlights anyway) that justified the exclusion of Rashford.

advertisement

Back