advertisement

Twitter bought by Elon Musk

It seems unlikely. He might be forced to do it, but my sense from reading about it is that really all the legal stuff is just leverage for Twitter in reaching an agreement and just affects the amount of money he will have to give them.

Although I stress I only know what I have read on US legal Twitter in the last few days so who knows. Also Musk is a man with an ego so large he thinks he can colonise Mars, so who knows?

Is she incapable of writing anything that doesn’t sound like a conversation you’d hear on a bus?

Is she incapable of writing anything that doesn’t sound like a conversation you’d hear on a bus?

Well she was right about the contract law aspects of the deal while a lot of people were still banging on about how it was all some brilliant move by Musk.

Aren't stock options (in this context) an option to buy, not sell?

Yes. His share options are vesting and so he has an option to buy a lot shares currently worth $977 each at a price of $70. So the suggestion is that that he wants to buy a lot of shares at $70 and immediately sell them to take a lot of profit and that the Twitter bid is a ruse so he can so this without it looking like Tesla is not the good prospect it seems.

EDIT: Or rather, on reading the rest of the article, using them as collateral for loans as he is not allowed to sell them for 5 years.

he has an option to buy a lot shares currently worth $977 each at a price of $70. So the suggestion is that that he wants to buy a lot of shares at $70 and immediately sell them to take a lot of profit<snip>

EDIT: Or rather, on reading the rest of the article, using them as collateral for loans as he is not allowed to sell them for 5 years.

But still a way to access cash from the tulip bulb valuation of Tesla
But if, as seems likely, Tesla is grossly overvalued, then that’s likely to be found out within 5 years, in which case I’d have thought that anybody offered shares as collateral, that they can’t realise inside 5 years, would be wary.

But still a way to access cash from the tulip bulb valuation of Tesla

Yes. To be fair to him, given the numbers involved locking in some value and reducing his exposure to his biggest success is not a wholly unreasonable thing to do. Although given his bluster and ego it would be a bit off-brand and send the wrong message.

But if, as seems likely, Tesla is grossly overvalued, then that’s likely to be found out within 5 years, in which case I’d have thought that anybody offered shares as collateral, that they can’t realise inside 5 years, would be wary.

Well they offer loans on the basis of what they think it's worth and the terms vary depending on how risky they think it is. Working all this out is basically there job.

On match days, I often see a large and expensive corporate helicopter come in to land at Manchester City (nee Barton) Airport. I presume this has MU bigwigs on board. I wonder if Musk would arrive by rocket?

advertisement

Back