advertisement

Twitter bought by Elon Musk

He's not my cup of tea, but I certainly wouldn't pigeon-hole him in with some sort of far right fascist conspiracy folk. Whilst he hasn't designed or innovated much of his own technological success it is hard to deny he's good at taking things forward and even more successful than when he took them on.

One thing for sure is it will be interesting to see where it all goes, I think it is pretty nailed on that he will adapt it to allow some sort of payment/tipping/subscription service integrated with crypto/digital assets.

Some commentary that says Elon is going to be sorry....
You ****ed up real good, kiddo.

Twitter is a disaster clown car company that is successful despite itself, and there is no possible way to grow users and revenue without making a series of enormous compromises that will ultimately destroy your reputation and possibly cause grievous damage to your other companies.

I say this with utter confidence because the problems with Twitter are not engineering problems. They are political problems. Twitter, the company, makes very little interesting technology; the tech stack is not the valuable asset. The asset is the user base: hopelessly addicted politicians, reporters, celebrities, and other people who should know better but keep posting anyway. You! You, Elon Musk, are addicted to Twitter. You’re the asset. You just bought yourself for $44 billion dollars.

The problem when the asset is people is that people are intensely complicated, and trying to regulate how people behave is historically a miserable experience, especially when that authority is vested in a single powerful individual.

What I mean is that you are now the King of Twitter, and people think that you, personally, are responsible for everything that happens on Twitter now. It also turns out that absolute monarchs usually get murdered when shit goes sideways.

Here are some examples: you can write as many polite letters to advertisers as you want, but you cannot reasonably expect to collect any meaningful advertising revenue if you do not promise those advertisers “brand safety.” That means you have to ban racism, sexism, transphobia, and all kinds of other speech that is totally legal in the United States but reveals people to be total assholes. So you can make all the promises about “free speech” you want, but the dull reality is that you still have to ban a bunch of legal speech if you want to make money. And when you start doing that, your creepy new right-wing fanboys are going to viciously turn on you, just like they turn on every other social network that realizes the same essential truth.
Do read the full article! https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/28...witter-acquisition-problems-speech-moderation

That is very good. Nail on head. Just turning up with his batshit right-wing “free speech” agenda has had all manner of shit turn back up today. Countless far-right trolls are back on today shouting the ‘n’ word, calling Jews all sorts, threatening trans folk, blathering incoherent conspiracy theory etc. Even terrorists like Britain First are back. That’s just in one day. Musk’s moderation load just got real crazy and as far as I can tell he’s sacked everyone who understood how the site worked. It wasn’t manageable before, but now he’s deliberately invited the very worst of humanity in. The rest of humanity will just start suing and holding him to national laws across the planet! He’s going to have to act real fast now or he’ll just be remembered as the bloke that spent $44bn, Tesla and maybe SpaceX to destroy Twitter.

PS One positive is Trump’s failing ‘Truth Social’ is apparently now considered all but valueless as a business, that will have cost him dearly (IIRC it cost a lot to setup and run) and will no doubt add masses more debt and bankruptcy to his ongoing multiple business collapses. All point and stare at the big orange loser!

Given the way this 'deal' has been put together, Elon-the-Twat, is in-hoc to others for considerably-over $1B/yr - just to cover the interest on the >50% leverage financed bits of this (classic, kill & eat the goose now ... ) buy-out.

Hmm.
Expect a whole lot of advertising/.../monetisation; and to secure that - oh, how well then, will Musks' 'absolute free speech ' theme play? Users who drive the utterly-vacuuous 'content' won't stay without a share.

I sincerely hope & suspect he's backed hisself into a corner here, that will bleed; possibly why Elon has averred so hard to make good on the deal completion.

& - Stuff Elon; Utterly. My polite view.

I’ve never understood the point of Twitter.

For all its flaws it is in most respects the best way to keep up to date with politics, science and other interests as you can cut out the middle-man and editorial filter and connect directly with the people doing stuff that interests you. As a communication tool, along with YouTube etc, it really is the next evolutionary step from the printing press, radio, TV etc. Social media is incredibly significant, an absolute game changer, and like every other massive technological ground-shift in human history it brings both good and bad. To be ignorant or not to understand its scope is to be partially blind. All media has its flaws, but compared to the dark ages of getting information the next day if some newspaper editor or TV journalist felt it worthy or politically safe to report it this really is a whole new world. We are living through a change at least as significant as the industrial revolution with the democratisation of information-sharing and easy access global communication tools of which social media is a big part. There is certainly no going back now, the communication structure on this planet has totally changed. Where it goes next is anyone’s guess! I’m obviously not at all happy about Musk buying Twitter, but if he destroys it something else will rapidly fill its place. We have now come to expect this level of communication as part of daily life and the concept is way bigger than any puffed-up billionaire.

On the one hand - great article - thanks. On the other hand Musk is a very smart guy. I am famously terrible at predicting what will be successful and unsuccessful, so I honestly have no idea how this is going to play out.
I think he’s simply arrogant & supremely confident. I hope recklessness will soon be his undoing.

Regardless of how Musk got to where he is, the fact is that he has built an impressive international business empire across multiple industries. Whether he remains a leader, or comes crashing down, remains to be seen. He’s only 51. I guess I don’t find him any more or less despicable than the other well-known billionaire Bond villains. Maybe a bit weirder, but none of them are what I’d call normal.

On the one hand - great article - thanks. On the other hand Musk is a very smart guy. I am famously terrible at predicting what will be successful and unsuccessful, so I honestly have no idea how this is going to play out.

Musk says that he is buying Twitter 'to help humanity'. Allowing unmoderated sewage from extremists and the very worst of humanity - really dumb. So not very smart in this case at all. It'll all end in tears.

Musk has put himself in an impossible situation. He can't 'free the bird' (to use his own phrase) by allowing all sorts of hate speech without antagonising advertisers, who will readily pull the plug if they see a risk to their brand's reputation; see, for example how quickly Kanye West was dropped by Adidas. Without advertising revenue, Twitter is dead. On the other hand, any sort of moderation is going to piss off the sort of people who thought Musk would immediately lift the ban on Trump et al. So, unless the whole buyout of Twitter was a huge tax-avoidance scheme on the lines of The Producers, I can't see what's in it for Musk.

But he's immensely rich, so what do I know?

advertisement

Back