advertisement

Twitter bought by Elon Musk

Because as I said perfectly reasonable beliefs are being censored and at times their advocates even censured, all because they are being thrown into the same sinbin as extremism, who is to judge what is labelled extremism anyway? When people accept these limits to free speech, they never imagine that tomorrow their speech might be subject to censorship.
You are avoiding thinking about your own position. You have accepted a limit to free speech: direct incitement to violence is unacceptable. Limits to free speech are inevitable if we are to co-exist peaceably, just as limits to other types of personal behaviour are inevitable. You are arguing on the one hand that limits should exist (direct incitement to violence), but on the other hand that we shouldn't limit speech (everything else). For this to be a 'reasonable argument' you should be able to explain what your ban on direct incitement to violence seeks to prevent. Is it
  • violence?
  • death?
  • intolerable social division?
  • a combination of factors?
  • Something else?
I am asking you to explain why you draw the line where you do.

That depends on who is being called an extremist, would you say Communists are broadly extremist? Is Jeremy Corbyn an extremist? many would label him so.

For the first one, yes.

For the second, is Jeremy Corbyn an extremist or communist? No.

Do you label Corbyn an extremist?

Because as I said perfectly reasonable beliefs are being censored and at times their advocates even censured, all because they are being thrown into the same sinbin as extremism, who is to judge what is labelled extremism anyway? When people accept these limits to free speech, they never imagine that tomorrow their speech might be subject to censorship.

You make very grand claims about all this censorship that you allege is happening - but are pitifully short of any real examples of people being actually shut down for the 'reasonable beliefs' you claim they are trying to espouse.

Perhaps because there aren't any real world examples that would hold water under scrutiny?

Very easy to spread bogus BS on the web .... as you amply prove, but its a tired trope and long since threadbare.

They aren't ... so what exactly is your problem?
That word 'fashion' points to his problem. It's cultural. He resents the 'elites' that control 'fashion.' The fact that there are other elites controlling right wing fashions is OK, though. But it doesn't decrease his resentment.

I've written a response to a quickly-deleted post by Rizo. I thought I'd post it anyway, in a lightly-edited form, because it might help the debate. I'm trying to get to the first order question: what, if anything, trumps the right to free speech? To put it another way, other rights are affected by free speech - which rights should take precedence?

The questions of what counts as extremism, hate speech, or whatnot are downstream of this, which is why I am trying to avoid them them just yet. That is to say, we should define the logic of our aims (we want to protect of the right to free speech except...) before we start talking about what actions, methodologies or strategies we need to take. Otherwise, we'll just end up acting on a jumble of impulses/prejudices.

I am sorry if I am coming across as blunt, but I don't think this discussion is worth having if we avoid the first order question - it is not 'blatantly obvious' to me what anyone's value judgements are, unless they are prepared to set them out.

And of course, I am interested in whether 'hate speech' (if we can define such a thing) can have the same effect as direct incitement to violence, because - without explaining why it alone deserves this status - Rizo made 'direct incitement to violence' the sole exception to the right to free speech. Who can say whether this is reasonable without answering the question, what are we trying to guard against when we limit the right to free speech?

Just bouncing this thread now Musk’s attempted buy-out has thankfully failed. This really is superb news, his buying it would have been a disaster. There are many interesting threads and links over there at present, here’s one to start with (Twitter).

My personal view is Musk has lost whatever plot he might once have had. He has always been pretty much impossible to understand but this situation seemed especially bizarre and without any obvious win. I suspect his next move will be to default on the £1bn termination agreement. Hopefully he fails in that aim too.

The thing I don’t understand is he seemingly deliberately crashed the Tesla stock price by giving the impression he wanted to buy Twitter to turn it into a far-right MAGA transphobic bullying hellhole. Why would he kill the price if he wanted to offload stock?

I am not sure I buy this idea from the tech bro fanboys that this was some brilliant move by alt genius Musk as the whole thing really just makes him look like an idiot who entered into a significant deal without proper due diligence. Getting half way into a deal like this and then saying "Wait I need to know more about the thing I just legally agreed to buy for $44bn" is just not something serious people do.

Also the legal situation is a bit ambiguous but it's definitely not in Musk's favour. See this thread here, including the one linked at the end about how a lot of this will be decided by a judge.

https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/status/1545593855013265409

I’d have thought Twitter would be delighted some billionaire idiot is now not going to destroy their platform by forcing it into some mutant cross of Truth Social and 8chan. Surely the Twitter board will just push for the $1bn breach of contract fee and then walk away laughing their asses off?

PS The spam-bot accounts thing was always a crazy argument from a person who claims he can write software to land space rockets.

I’d have thought Twitter would be delighted some billionaire idiot is now not going to destroy their platform by changing it into some mutant cross of Truth Social and 8chan. Surely the Twitter board will just push for the $1bn breach of contract fee and then walk away laughing their asses off?

Except the shareholders now have a legal right to $16bn of value and the Twitter board are legally obliged to seek this. Anything they do that gives up this value without reasonable compensation will get them sued by their own shareholders.

For Musk to get away with only paying $1bn would require things to go extraordinarily well for him in court. It also seems unlikely it would get to this "specific performance" thing (Musk forced to buy $28bn company for $44bn) and they will instead come to some deal between the two.

But, barring a very high risk court case, it seems that Musk just spaffed many of his billions up the wall based on a "**** it, I'm going to buy Twitter to stop people being rude about me" whim.

Do you think there is still any even remote risk of him actually buying Twitter? I really do not want him anywhere near it!

advertisement

Back