advertisement

Twitter bought by Elon Musk

messengerman

pfm Member
Apparently now a done deal. Musk, as we all know is self proclaimed Libertarian and seemingly intends to end moderation on Twitter.

I'm not sure he can make that stick. It'll surely become a cesspool no one wants to swim in.

Any twitter users here? What do you all think? Will anyone jump to rival platforms? Or do you think an unchained Twitter would fly as Musk claims?

You think the sociopath will allow freedom of expression to include letting him know what people think of him?

I have never used Twitter.
I only ever see it through links on here.

Twitter is certainly a juggernaut and I reckon Musk will do the job of sorting things out and it becoming the platform it once was for free speech. Some of the cancellation that has gone off due to others not agreeing with a certain point of view or stance is just ridiculous and in itself bordering on being fascism

Good luck to Musk, I wish him all the best in his endeavours with Twitter

I read and follow people on Twitter a lot, though I don’t post. I find it a very good news source as it is largely unfiltered and you get to hear directly from the person or organisation you are interested in without it being editorialised via a newspaper journalist, TV editor or whatever. This I like a lot.

What worries me is if Musk is serious about zero moderation it will rapidly turn into 4chan or whatever. There is already a culture of bullying, e.g. the LGBT and especially trans community have a pretty miserable time of late despite many very articulate and intelligent posters and advocates. Given the extent to which fascism is so obviously on the rise in the west I suspect things could get very ugly for a while with Trump and his various terrorist entities being given free-rein to persecute and demonise minorities.

There is also a legal aspect that Musk may not have fully thought through. Incitement to violence, persecution, racism, fascism and other things are illegal in many parts of the world and he’ll run into huge trouble if he doesn’t think it through. He is a remarkably big target to sue! Is he really going to welcome ISIS beheading videos, KKK lynchings, paedophillia etc? That’s the reality of true free speech. Open the door fully and all manner of shit will fly in.

If he does break it good people will leave. There is absolutely nothing magical about any internet product or service. If they turn to shit people just create new ones and migrate. Nothing is too big for that.

I detest Elon Musk as a person, he strikes me as an obnoxious character. I have a Twitter account but only use it to follow a few political commentators and Cold War Steve.

Twitter with no content moderation and an edit button will cease to be relevant as a "news" source.

I wonder if they will also be de-deplatforming the likes of Trump and Jones?

I suspect by 'free speech', Musk means he's (thinks he has) just bought a firehose to direct at anyone/thing he feels like.

Oh, As in the time he casually, demonstrably libelled that brilliant cave diver instrumental in the wholly -dangerous, amazingly-wholly-successful cave rescue in Thailand 2018 as a 'peado' - - simply because said person told him from a point of deep knowledge and no little authority where to put his attention-seeking-submarine, simply because it was a useless, dangerous, wholly-attention-seeking distraction.

Or the run-ins Musk has had with the US SEC for using Twitter to pump & dump and somehow make-out-like-a-bandit on stocks he might have a significant interest in.

Musk's interest is NOT about 'Free speech' (- that's purely a limitation on what the US Government can control i.e. very-little-to- not a thing to do with what you can publish - so such a claim is a false-flag for a corporate takeover!)

It IS about - Trusssst in Me... - by which I mean, oh ... picture Kaa from the Jungle Book, with the 'who give s f%ck' eyes but re-invented as a narcissistic 'tech bro' with funding greater than many countries outside the G20.

Def expect a race to the kind of things @Tony L describes in his 3rd para a few posts above / 20mins ago. Since Musk will be doing this with borrowed/leveraged money, I hope that accrues permanent damage on the whole such landscape.

PS the fact he's willing to risk $45B of other peoples money on this, likely via mix of lenders & to saddle the whole enterprise (on the existing shareholders who get suckered to staying in!) with commensurate leveraged debt - should tell you how high the stakes are. No, of course Musk himself isn't paying for it all ... don't be silly...

Last edited:
I wonder if they will also be de-deplatforming the likes of Trump and Jones?
"...Access to Twitter could prove to be a huge asset for Trump to reach millions of people ahead of a possible run in the 2024 presidential election.

Angelo Carusone, president of media watchdog group Media Matters for America, said in a statement Monday that a Musk takeover of Twitter means Trump “will almost certainly be replatformed in weeks.”"

-CNN

"...Access to Twitter could prove to be a huge asset for Trump to reach millions of people ahead of a possible run in the 2024 presidential election.

Angelo Carusone, president of media watchdog group Media Matters for America, said in a statement Monday that a Musk takeover of Twitter means Trump “will almost certainly be replatformed in weeks.”"

-CNN

It may be a double-edged sword given how legal things moving ever closer to him. I’d like to think he’s dumb enough to drop himself and his accomplices even further in the shit now he no longer own the law. There is no doubt he has a huge base, one he has proven he can incite to carrying out illegal acts.

-CNN

Or Musk himself?

Oh God. I can just see this making Twitter the main mouthpiece for the CHAOS. Gilead social media.

Trump Will Incite Tribal Terrorists, Empower Racists.

Apparently Trump has stated he'll stick with his own failing platform. Truth Social it's apparently called. A name so bad I can almost guarantee he thought of it himself

That may well be the case. I assume his core base are there by now, and he will have got used to moderating everything to his narrative. If he goes back to Twitter he’ll (hopefully) get battered. There aren’t enough hard drives in the world to host the number of times people will want to post that video of a lying hair-melting Rudi Giuliani standing outside a garden centre and sex shop blathering aimlessly, and that’s before folk get to Trump himself.

That may well be the case. I assume his core base are there by now, and he will have got used to moderating everything to his narrative. If he goes back to Twitter he’ll (hopefully) get battered. There aren’t enough hard drives in the world to host the number of times people will want to post that video of a lying hair-melting Rudi Giuliani standing outside a garden centre and sex shop blathering aimlessly, and that’s before folk get to Trump himself.

Of course he could be getting in first saying he has no intention of going to a party Musk may not invite him to. And if Musk is a rival for the 2024 Republican nomination that could potentially be another sub plot. As is, of course, Trumps own monstrous pride which could take a hit if he now moves to or mirrors his output on Twitter.

advertisement

Back