advertisement

Tweaks You Cannot Live Without

I'll go with two, one for each budget:

For the lower budget: washing machine antivibration feet. About £8 for a set. Very effective.

And I second everything previously said about the IsoAcoustic Gaia's, they are excellent and live under my PMC's. Tamed suspended floor issues and improved the SQ.

1) Shunyata Hydra
2) Ball bearing Isolators (various types from cheap to rather expensive) under everything including speakers
3) SilClear contact enhancer, especially on valve pins
4) Nespa Pro for cd's, regrettably long gone when skint

I agree re all the positive remarks on Gaia feel and Townshend Seismic supports for speakers, and the Townshend Seismic corners for the rack too.
CAD Ground Control units (both GC1 and GC3) are a fabulous addition too, they make a very noticeable positive difference.
For streaming i found a decent ex-office Cisco switch made a big improvement. And adding an optical network in the house for streaming, instead of Ethernet, was also a cheap beneficial tweak.

Yeah, forgot the isolators under my ESL-988s. I use Sonic Design. My aim was to decouple the speakers from the floor to spare me complaints from the neighbour's wife below me. It worked. I also noticed the effect it had on cleaning up the bass. A surprise.

Concrete and rubber under my subs. Mandatory as far as I’m concerned with suspended wooden floors. Looking into replacing the rubber with sorbothane but i need a quite a bit so it’s pricey.

Fo.q ta32 and ta102 damping tape.
Have not heard of this before, intrigued and purchased - worth a punt as not silly money. Just arrived from Japan.

Care to share your experiences? Where have you used, what works, what does not work etc? I have googled and found a few other experiences.

Contacts have been mentioned a few times in this thread - has anyone heard a difference? What are you hearing? I have a bottle of Deoxit gathering dust and might be tempted to pull it out and apply some.

I bought some and then spent a lot of time removing it because it literally ruined my sound, in my opinion it's bloody awful gunk

Get yourself a drink, this might take a while :)

A dedicated earth circuit to which all my components are linked to. By some distance my Planar 8 benefitted the most from earthing, this cost very little and the improvement is significant. A hand made, heavily screened 3kv mains transformer, I think it makes a difference but it's not obvious. Redesigned and refurbished speakers now using constrained layer damping throughout. The speakers are Omi directional isobaric designs, each with 2 woofers and 3 tweeters. These are all isolated from the cabinet and the base now has a secondary base layer with a CLD membrane in the middle.There are no screws or bolts anywhere. With so much change its difficult to know which of the changes has made the greatest contribution but they are night and day better than the original design. Room treatment, definitely helps, Modifying my Planar 8 by removing the original cone feet and replacing them with Iso Acoustic Orea Graphite pucks. I know this goes against the Rega design principal but I have always worked on the basis you won't know until you actually try it and whilst the improvement was modest it was there and repeated through a few test cycles. The P8 was further tweaked by inserting a piece of Les Davis 3D(2) between the cartridge and the tone arm and again between the tone arm and the base. I have also made a pair of speaker cables based upon the Iconoclast design. This involved weaving 180m of fine silver coated OCC copper wire, it took far too much time and cost me over £200 just for the materials, that said they are very good and might be considered decent value when you understand the originals would have cost over £1,000. I have made numerous TT mats using all sorts of stuff, I settled on a two part design and again the benefit was modest but discernable to myself and others. I am sure there are tweaks I have forgotten and there's another list of things that failed. I guess I am a compulsive tweaker :rolleyes:

Have not heard of this before, intrigued and purchased - worth a punt as not silly money. Just arrived from Japan.

Care to share your experiences? Where have you used, what works, what does not work etc? I have googled and found a few other experiences.

There's 2 thicknesses , the thick stuff only good on flat surfaces, the thin one is good round cables , on electrolytic capacitors, along the bottom of tone arms.

Top uses, headshells , tone arms, around IEC inlets, on the back of plugs, on the plug sockets

You can use it with footers and cones, speaker driver frames and chassis also on the pcb. Some folks have used the thin stuff as speaker driver gasket.

Be careful though guys this stuff does conduct and could short circuit stuff. Definitely don't use on anything that gets hot.

Removing the spikes from my speaker stand bases and replacing them with Bright Star IsoNodes.

This did two things:

1. Massively reduced "boom", to the point where the neighbours don't hear it anymore - my living room has a suspended wooden floor & never had such issues when I used a concrete floor.
2. Increased overall focus and air at the top end.

The important thing is that I haven't had a complaint since... :D

I'm not really much of a tweaky person tbh, but there are a few things that are essential to me:
  • Dedicated mains supply.
  • Decent equipment supports.
  • Good quality interconnects.
  • Good quality loudspeaker cable.
  • RCM for the vinyl.
  • Good quality racking for the records, CDs & tapes.
I would also add dedicated listening room, but I'm not lucky enough to have that yet!

Removing the spikes from my speaker stand bases and replacing them with Bright Star IsoNodes.
... :D

Hi, looking for options to protect new wood floor (being installed December).
would you know whether the polymer will leave marks on wood? I have been considering thick felt stuck under my current speaker "slabs" in place of the spikes that I currently use.

advertisement

Back