advertisement

Trump Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the defence "lawyers" did an excellent job in deflecting yesterday. Short, snappy, statements. Each filled with media friendly soundbites. A completely different take on the matter at hand.

Now how much of what they said has been fact checked and how much was taken out of context I imagine someone will let us know in due course but they certainly did a good job of presenting a counter argument in the Senate.

The analysis will be interesting - the administration and the team of lawyers are not exactly known for laying the facts before the public. A good job of appealing to the base though and therefore making restless senators feel somewhat more at ease.

It was classic Trump. Ignore the charge completely and instead, attack the basis on which it was brought before the senate. Claim, in legal terminology, that it was invalid and make comparisons that stretched the truth at best. Counter attack - without denying the charges in anyway. Simply looking for a way to prevent witnesses taking to the stand. It works though. That is the tragedy.

So whaddaya think the Mid East "Deal Of The Century" is gonna look like?

My guess is One-State Solution, Israel is unleashed to expand West Bank settlements, and there's some symbolic financial incentive bone thrown at the Palestinians, who will now be official second-class citizens in the Israeli Apartheid State.

I thought the defence "lawyers" did an excellent job in deflecting yesterday. Short, snappy, statements. Each filled with media friendly soundbites. A completely different take on the matter at hand.

Now how much of what they said has been fact checked and how much was taken out of context I imagine someone will let us know in due course but they certainly did a good job of presenting a counter argument in the Senate.

You clearly watched something different to everyone else.

I think the lawyers for Trump are simply better and more engaging than those who stumbled through an (admittedly more compelling) case for the prosecution. It will be a travesty if presentation overcomes common sense. I do fear that Sekulow's closing statement will do just that though.

I think the lawyers for Trump are simply better and more engaging than those who stumbled through an (admittedly more compelling) case for the prosecution. It will be a travesty if presentation overcomes common sense. I do fear that Sekulow's closing statement will do just that though.

you are either trolling or the most naive person in the world. we all know trump is "guilty". even the republicans. this is now a political spectacle (in both good and bad sense). the senate is not really listening and assessing the evidence. the common sense has already happened.

I think the lawyers for Trump are simply better and more engaging than those who stumbled through an (admittedly more compelling) case for the prosecution.

Which one? The corrupt one, the friend of a paedophile one, the guy who plays a lawyer on Fox or the mad one from the 90s?

Which one? The corrupt one, the friend of a paedophile one, the guy who plays a lawyer on Fox or the mad one from the 90s?

Or the one who was forced to resign as head of a university during a sex abuse scandal?

So whaddaya think the Mid East "Deal Of The Century" is gonna look like?

My guess is One-State Solution, Israel is unleashed to expand West Bank settlements, and there's some symbolic financial incentive bone thrown at the Palestinians, who will now be official second-class citizens in the Israeli Apartheid State.

Well I sure dropped that ball. Two state solution is a big surprise, considering that one-state was Likud's entire raison d'etre.

Sill I'm sure there are some major F-Us for the Palestinians. For one thing, their territory is awfully gerrymandered (I assume to avoid having to cede any Israeli west bank settlements), and they're completely surrounded by Israeli territory with no foreign borders apart from the few miles where Gaza abuts Egypt.

Doesn't matter in the slightest who makes the better argument as Trump will never be found guilty in the Senate.

I doubt if it will even do anything to deter his voters later this year.

This is all about letting us see witnesses. We'll see if I am naive or not. I wasn't before. Vuk went very quiet then...

Maybe I am now. We'll see tomorrow after the Q&A's.

Doesn't matter in the slightest who makes the better argument as Trump will never be found guilty in the Senate.

I doubt if it will even do anything to deter his voters later this year.

The audience is not the Senate or his base. It isn’t about them, it’s about people who held their nose in 2016 to vote against Hillary or who didn’t bother at all. The more it smacks of cover up, the more fragile that looks.

While it’s true that the Rep Senate will probably result in too many of them fearing their own voters and wilfully ignoring the evidence, or refusing to even see it, that isn’t risk free. Making a decision like that without a full examination of the evidence leaves them vulnerable to looking like pieces of cheese should there be any subsequently damning revelations.

The audience is not the Senate or his base. It isn’t about them, it’s about people who held their nose in 2016 to vote against Hillary or who didn’t bother at all. The more it smacks of cover up, the more fragile that looks.

While it’s true that the Rep Senate will probably result in too many of them fearing their own voters and wilfully ignoring the evidence, or refusing to even see it, that isn’t risk free. Making a decision like that without a full examination of the evidence leaves them vulnerable to looking like pieces of cheese should there be any subsequently damning revelations.
I'm sure that should read "when subsequent damning revelations emerge" about Ukraine & further down the line about Turkey, China & the other many impeachable crimes he has committed.

Btw, I've always wondered why he has never claimed executive privilege, threatened it but never actioned his threats & many used his threats to claim possible executive privilege (don't know why they got away with this?).

This article explains that in a court where such exec priv would undoubtedly be contested, a judge would decide whether an exception to executive privilege applies & one of the exceptions "if the proposed testimony involves evidence of criminal activity (more commonly understood as the “crime-fraud” exception in the context of attorney-client privilege)"

So a likely finding of trying to use exec prive to suppress evidence of a crime would be disastrous for Trump

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...ecutive-privilege-when-he-called-bolton-liar/

But now, the executive privilege argument is no longer available. Trump’s tweets directly denying the substance of Bolton’s reported allegations waive any privilege that might have protected them from public disclosure. Privilege is meant to keep a president’s secrets confidential. If the president reveals those secrets or publicly discusses the conversations himself, there is no longer any need to protect them from disclosure.

Now that Trump has accused Bolton of lying about their communications, the time has come to put Bolton under oath and see what he has to say.

Well I sure dropped that ball. Two state solution is a big surprise, considering that one-state was Likud's entire raison d'etre.

Sill I'm sure there are some major F-Us for the Palestinians. For one thing, their territory is awfully gerrymandered (I assume to avoid having to cede any Israeli west bank settlements), and they're completely surrounded by Israeli territory with no foreign borders apart from the few miles where Gaza abuts Egypt.
The big problem of East Jerusalem too. For all Muslims everywhere the Al Aqsa mosque is absolutely non-negotiable as it is one of the three key sites in the religion

The big problem of East Jerusalem too. For all Muslims everywhere the Al Aqsa mosque is absolutely non-negotiable as it is one of the three key sites in the religion

The Trump Peace Plan looks like a **** you to the Palestinians, the Israelis are sacrificing nothing and consolidating their land-grabs. Most of what they have ceded to the Palestinians in this plan is desert and wadi, keeping the arable land and water sources for themselves.

But Jared Kushner was on Christiane Amanpour's show tonight and talked specifically about securing access to the Al Aqsa mosque for Muslims, so apparently that's in the plan. Still doesn't change the fact that he's a lizard-alien.

The timing of this peace plan is extremely coincidental considering Trump and Netanyahu's current legal & political issues. I'm certain that the "plan" is deliberately poisoned to make the Palestinians decline, while at the same time distracting attention from the corruption and mendacity of Trump and Netanyahu.

Yes, the timing of the declaration seems to be very odd especially regarding Netanyahu. Trump helps Netanyahu to win the elections in Israel and actually interferes with the domestic elections here.

Arye

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back