advertisement

Tory Leadership Runners and Riders

Looks like Truss will copy the Republicans in waging war on LGBTQ+ human rights (Jo Maugham/Open Democracy via Twitter). Terrifying if true. Religious extremism given a green light to torture people with “conversion therapy” pseudoscience. The very bullshit that drove Alan Turing and so many others to suicide. This one needs fighting with bricks and bottles on the streets if necessary. No way in hell should bigoted far-right “laws” be accepted as legitimate.

PS The Wikipedia entry on “Conversion Therapy” is well worth reading, as is content from Stonewall. It is bullshit quackery and no more legitimate than say Iran hanging gay people from cranes. It is born of exactly the same religious fascism mindset.

No chance of it happening here because we aren't a nation full of religious cranks like they are.

You're assuming that Conservative government policy is somehow based on the opinion of the public at large. I wish I had your confidence Matt.

I just find it hard to believe there is enough sentiment for that sort of crap to go through, like we're all going to sit here and allow gay conversion therapy or any other nonsense, I think even the Tory voting cranks aren't that swivelled eyed.

You're assuming that Conservative government policy is somehow based on the opinion of the public at large. I wish I had your confidence Matt.
A crumb of comfort - Jolyon has a notably poor track record for foresight.

otoh not suggesting there's nothing to worry about.
Sending refugees & asylum seekers to Rwanda is the sort of feckery previously associated with the likes of NF/BoM.

Sending refugees & asylum seekers to Rwanda is the sort of feckery previously associated with the likes of NF/BoM.

Terrible policy that it is and I know one is too many, but do we actually know how many have been sent successfully? Doesn't seem anything more than a Tory PR scam to me.

I just find it hard to believe there is enough sentiment for that sort of crap to go through, like we're all going to sit here and allow gay conversion therapy or any other nonsense, I think even the Tory voting cranks aren't that swivelled eyed.

It's currently legal. The government only announced in April that it plans to ban it - and that after a lot of campaigning. And there are still conditions and loopholes.

If the head of your church or mosque suggests it, and there's no proof of coercion, then it will remain legal even after the bill has passed.

1 in 20 LGBTQ+ people have been offered conversion therapy - raising to 1 in 5 Muslim LGBTQ+ people:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-56496423

<moderating>

A large screen-scrape cut & paste removed. I request people please respect copyright. Citing a sentence or two, even a short paragraph from an article to give the gist, followed always by a link to the source material is acceptable under ‘fair use’, but copying vast amounts of text without any links could get me into expensive trouble!

I'm not the original poster but it's a pity that had to be deleted as it was indeed quite powerful.
It was from the comments section on the article rather than from the Guardian article itself - does that make a difference?

Anyway, here's a link for those of you that want to read it and thanks again to the original poster for highlighting it:
https://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/158105339

<moderating>

A large screen-scrape cut & paste removed. I request people please respect copyright. Citing a sentence or two, even a short paragraph from an article to give the gist, followed always by a link to the source material is acceptable under ‘fair use’, but copying vast amounts of text without any links could get me into expensive trouble!
I figured BTL comments didn’t have copyright but I respect your decision

It's currently legal. The government only announced in April that it plans to ban it - and that after a lot of campaigning. And there are still conditions and loopholes.

If the head of your church or mosque suggests it, and there's no proof of coercion, then it will remain legal even after the bill has passed.

1 in 20 LGBTQ+ people have been offered conversion therapy - raising to 1 in 5 Muslim LGBTQ+ people:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-56496423
If the conversion therapy doesn’t work, there’s the beheading therapy.

In a proper democracy she would have been toast by now. She has done two car crash policies and is still in the lead…

Any guesses as to where this insight comes from? (answer at bottom of post)

'The Tory party is not driven by some grand policy agenda, but simply grasping at shiny objects. It passes repetitive, unnecessary and ultimately inoffensive laws that criminalise things that are already illegal – like dog theft or assaults on emergency workers. Or else spends its time complaining that the world, the civil service and the blob is against it. The party once sought to campaign in poetry and govern in prose, now it campaigns and governs in tweets.

Even on its beloved Brexit, the Conservative party tries to stoke an ongoing threat that it might be undone or revoked or strangled at birth rather than engage with the realities of leaving the EU. With the simple in and out completed, there is no clue whether Britain’s future is Singapore on Thames or shoring up the dying embers of Red Wall industries. Instead, it jumps to silly-season headlines on imperial measures and crowns on pint glasses.

[...]

There is an almost complete absence of policy innovation. The party grasps around for yesterday’s answers to yesterday’s problems, copying the homework of Thatcher, a leader who has been out of power for 30 years and dead for ten. It’s why the party recycles so much from policy interns and fails to come up with anything equal to the challenges we face. It does not even propose simple answers for complex problems – just no answers beyond the triple lock and ever rising house prices.

[...]

Whoever wins in September, the party will be stuck. Even in power it remains incapable of generating and delivering credible policies, incapable of using its resources to tackle the challenges ahead. In an uncertain world it struggles to decide what it wants to do, and struggles to implement the few ideas it has. The party has become a machine for garnering headlines and votes but is now starting to stall. Insulated by a media which also focuses on the day-to-day rigmarole of politics as soap opera, our leaders are missing the signs of short- and long-term crisis which will soon hit. They are failing to adapt, failing to plan. The sirens are ringing, the ground is coming.'

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article... Ads HT+CID_648b5d93f2bbfc0b9157b0624785f629

I think Truss might be onto something here:

FaHdtlQXkAEELAz

advertisement

Back