advertisement

Tory leadership failure Part V: Rishi ‘Infosys’ Sunak

A fascinating couple of graphs from Richard Murphy in the FT highlighting just how deranged the Tories are economically these days. The most far-right party in the “developed world”. More batshit crazy than even Trump’s GOP.

PS I question the position of Labour, though in fairness the data is from 2022. I’d put Starmer top-right quadrant of the second graph now. To the left of the Tories, but not by much. The FT article doesn’t seem paywalled if entering via the Twitter link.

Despite what the graph has written on it and how Murphy presents it, it's only considering the economic dimension, nothing else. So what it presents may vary from an 'overall' political position.

A fascinating couple of graphs from Richard Murphy in the FT highlighting just how deranged the Tories are economically these days. The most far-right party in the “developed world”. More batshit crazy than even Trump’s GOP.

PS I question the position of Labour, though in fairness the data is from 2022. I’d put Starmer top-right quadrant of the second graph now. To the left of the Tories, but not by much. The FT article doesn’t seem paywalled if entering via the Twitter link.
I’d also add “most incompetent” to the list. It’s an utterly toxic cocktail.

Despite what the graph has written on it and how Murphy presents it, it's only considering the economic dimension, nothing else. So what it presents may vary from an 'overall' political position.

True, but to establish the other axis one only needs to view the Tory culture war; the openly fascist Rwanda policy, the far-right Brexit project, the open attacks on trans folk, the disabled, the homeless etc. They are unquestionably far right and ring pretty much every alarm bell on any ‘definitions of fascism’ list. They are what they are.

True, but to establish the other axis one only needs to view the Tory culture war; the openly fascist Rwanda policy, the far-right Brexit project, the open attacks on trans folk, the disabled, the homeless etc. They are unquestionably far right and ring pretty much every alarm bell on any ‘definitions of fascism’ list. They are what they are.

I'm not debating that. The FT graph is not about that, despite it being presented as such.

Natalie Elphicke has apparently defected to Labour.
Not at all related to keeping her job.

She had to apologise in 2021 for lobbying the judge who sentenced her husband, Tory MP Charlie Elphicke, to two years for sexual assault.

Quite the catch for Labour!

Not the brightest in the box.
Remember when she joined in a protest at P&O in Dover chanting “shame on you”?
Not realising the protesters were shouting it at her…

Jesus wept, what a disgrace. What are they doing? Labour doesn't need defections from careerist sycophants like Natalie Elphicke. Absolutely idiotic.

I see an actual Labour candidate has already been selected for that seat. I wonder what happens there.

Just seen her PR interview in Sky. Pure Brexit gammon that plays right into Labour’s ongoing Brexit delusion. Sounds like she’s either standing down or has been promised a peerage next election. I don’t think she’s contesting the Dover seat.

Natalie Elphicke has apparently defected to Labour.
It's bad on so many levels.

First, the only reason Labour have done this is because she will stand down at the next election. Which makes it look like pure signalling.

Second, it is anti-democratic. People who voted for Eplhicke will be pissed off and people who voted Labour against her will be pissed off.

Third, it fuels the idea that 'all politicians are the same', which is deeply corrosive and part of the reason that the demagogues are gaining ground.

Fourth, the signals it sends are terrible for the Conservatives (even Elphicke thinks they are a mess) but also for the Labour Party: it shows that Labour are desperate to do anything to make it harder for Sunak at the moment - there is no other principle involved; and it signals to the centre-left that right wingers like Elphicke are welcome in the party while left wingers like Abbot are not. What kind of party is that, if not a centre-right one?

It's bad on so many levels.

First, the only reason Labour have done this is because she will stand down at the next election. Which makes it look like pure signalling.

Second, it is anti-democratic. People who voted for Eplhicke will be pissed off and people who voted Labour against her will be pissed off.

Third, it fuels the idea that 'all politicians are the same', which is deeply corrosive and part of the reason that the demagogues are gaining ground.

Fourth, the signals it sends are terrible for the Conservatives (even Elphicke thinks they are a mess) but also for the Labour Party: it shows that Labour are desperate to do anything to make it harder for Sunak at the moment - there is no other principle involved; and it signals to the centre-left that right wingers like Elphicke are welcome in the party while left wingers like Abbot are not. What kind of party is that, if not a centre-right one?
Quite. How much more cool - and principled - would it to have said " Where do you think you're going, sunshine? Not so fast..."

**** me, Natalie Elphicke! I’m so pleased I left the Labour Party in 2016. What a nauseating spectacle. They have probably got the election in the bag but Christ with Gaza and stunts like this it won’t be anything like a landslide. Disgraceful.

Disgraced Tory grifter Nadhim Zahawi runs away before electoral defeat:

A more pretentious and self-aggrandising resignation letter would be hard to imagine.

PS More Tory news from Good Law Project. As ever you couldn’t make this shit up:

Disgraced Tory grifter Nadhim Zahawi runs away before electoral defeat:

A more pretentious and self-aggrandising resignation letter would be hard to imagine.

PS More Tory news from Good Law Project. As ever you couldn’t make this shit up:

He’s my MP and during his tenure did sweet FA for this area. In return, the taxpayer was funding the heating for his stables.

advertisement

Back