advertisement

Tory corruption & sleaze (lobbying, second jobs, dodgy contracts etc)

Rotten to the core and we seem to be stuck with them for as long as they want to …. Vive La revolution

I wouldn't normally show the DM but...

_121344021_mail-nc.png
It won’t last.

This is pretty much the same as abstaining on the vote in Parliament; i.e. not really doing a great deal to stop the rot.

The realty is, to oust the torys means voting labour. If this is the objective, any other vote is a waste. That’s the problem.

I'm not so sure. Swathes of thoroughly pissed off traditional Conservative voters are peeling off right now, and have been for months. An old mate of mine who is straight-talking working class Plaistow cockney to the quick, and from a family of lifelong conservative voters (I know, life's full of surprises) virtually had to be pulled off of his constituency chairman's throat the other day.
That's good to hear, but where are these good people peeling off to, and who will they vote for at the next FPTP election?

This isn't about Paterson his case is just helpful for the mechanics.

It's about Johnson who is facing several outstanding inquiries into his own and other's behaviour on even more serious matters. Just a plain sight way to remove the possiblility of proper scrutiny. If it had been to Johnson's advantage, Paterson would have gone under the bus before you could say 'Arlene'.

Britain's Trump? Britain's Berlusconi more like.

Because it's the long term project of the right wing media to discredit all politics and politicians, erode our trust in politics, and prepare the ground for Trumpian/Putinesque/Orbanist illiberal populists who will "drain the swamp".... But are actually there to enable oligarchy.

And they are succeeding.

That was my take too, it's highly damaging.

I also can’t support a party which entered into illegal wars.
But if we are to judge parties by their most recent actions, you have this the wrong way around. Miliband's Labour Party opposed Cameron's call for airstrikes in Syria in August 2013.

Just as you can never vote tory (neither could I at the moment) I can never vote labour. I suspect millions are in the same position.

The difference is that I will not be voting for Labour while they are corrupt and while they have a proven liar as leader. You have said that you could not vote for anyone who supported an illegal war, which begs the question, did you vote for Cameron? You have also said you will not vote for Boris after this latest corruption was exposed, fair enough and good on you for that, but he was a known corrupt politician at the last election, so I’m curious to understand what makes this latest example of corruption more unacceptable than all the others?

Because it's the long term project of the right wing media to discredit all politics and politicians, erode our trust in politics, and prepare the ground for Trumpian/Putinesque/Orbanist illiberal populists who will "drain the swamp".... But are actually there to enable oligarchy.

And they are succeeding.

My suspicion too. It was just surprising because of how strong it was - I didn’t expect such a strenuous denunciation of politics in general when Britain Trump was already hard at it in terms of driving things in their preferred direction.

Too much is never enough, perhaps.

The realty is, to oust the torys means voting labour. If this is the objective, any other vote is a waste. That’s the problem.

Given the current trajectory (very bad), would you rather not try and put a stop to it by holding your nose (and I appreciate that you would be holding it very firmly!) to try and get our democracy back on track? Considering how it all seems to be crumbling around us, it seems to me that the situation is serious enough to justify some pretty drastic action. If The Tories got an absolute hiding in a general election, perhaps it might make them change how they behave?

Kwasi Kwatang now suggesting Kathryn Stone, the commissioner of the Parliamentary Standards Committee who noticed corrupt corporate shill Owen Patterson had stuffed half a million quid in his back pocket should ‘consider her position’. Defending the indefensible as ever. I hope Kwatang gets paid serious money as whenever he’s on TV he’s inevitably making a total prick of himself.

I guess they have to destroy and rig Parliamentary Standards legislation as the whole party is rotten to the core and Johnson himself has much to be scrutinised. I doubt this has anything much to do with Patterson pocketing half a £million as that’s small change to these criminals. This move is to ring-fence the whole corrupt party from the existing law of the land. They just see the suicide of Patterson’s wife as a useful tool to be politically exploited.

The rest of Westminster now need to stand absolutely firm and block-boycott any changes. Ensure any twist or turn is seen as the banana republic corruption it is and refuse to legitimise it. They need to have no part in this at all. This is 100% Tory shit, let them drown in it.

Did the Tories vote against Iraq?
I don’t think many politicians are in realty. I also can’t support a party which entered into illegal wars.
The Conservatives gave the Iraq invasion their full blooded patriotic support. Of the entire Conservative Parliamentary party, only 2 MPs voted against, so you effectively did support a party that backed an illegal war.

In the case of corruption which is the subject in hand, I’ve never viewed the “they all do it”/ nose holding routine as a credible position. Had any Labour government attempted a fraction of what the present day Conservatives are doing, I think we know what the response would have been.

1x4tR5y.jpg

Kwasi Kwatang now suggesting Kathryn Stone, the commissioner of the Parliamentary Standards Committee who noticed corrupt corporate shill Owen Patterson had stuffed half a million quid in his back pocket should ‘consider her position’. Defending the indefensible as ever. I hope Kwatang gets paid serious money as whenever he’s on TV he’s inevitably making a total prick of himself. No amount of money would get me to publicly disgrace myself to that level.

I guess they have to destroy and rig Parliamentary Standards legislation as the whole party is rotten to the core and Johnson himself has much to be scrutinised. I doubt this has anything to do with Patterson pocketing half a £million as that’s small change to these criminals, this move is to ring-fence the whole corrupt party from the existing law of the land. They just see the suicide of his wife as a useful tool to be politically exploited. The rest of Westminster need to stand firm and block boycott any changes. Ensure any change is seen as the banana republic corruption it is.
Johnson knows the entire Covid testing/ PPE procurement/ VIP Lane stone is due to be lifted and it’s not a few hundred thousand like Paterson trousered, it’s billions. We can’t have an uppity Standards Commission little missy adjudicating on that. She needs to be gone for the duration.

That's good to hear, but where are these good people peeling off to, and who will they vote for at the next FPTP election?

I haven't a clue. The current alternatives are hopeless. Perhaps a new party will emerge as happened with La République En Marche!, but given the fact that the country is so fractured over Brexit and the EU, it might not be what we might all be hoping for.

Just as you can never vote tory (neither could I at the moment) I can never vote labour. I suspect millions are in the same position.

I do hope this does not stop the investigations, if we have any journalists left, of where Randox are in this. There is a much bigger set of questions than have so far been asked about their involvement with the Paterson, Hancock, on the Pandemic funding. In Horse Racing Paterson's wife and Aintree (Randox big sponsors, Dido Harding's connections with same through The Jockey Club). I would like to know a lot more about all these little connections.

advertisement

Back