advertisement

Tory corruption & sleaze (lobbying, second jobs, dodgy contracts etc)

Johnson will be hoping this will go away as he did with Cummings/Hancock/Raab but one thing is certain- Patterson’s future as an MP will end if it discomforts Johnson. Maybe even Carrie will sort it. She’ll get rid of him faster than Theresa’s John Lewis stuff.

Absolutely shocking. A friend who is a UK ambassador often speaks about the ever shallower puddle of talent in Parliament. He's got a point.
Whatever reform may be needed to investigating MP's misconduct has been hijacked by those who say 'he's one of ours and we like him and sadly his wife has died'
Perhaps they'll name the new system 'Owen's system' or Owen's law?
If this happened in the criminal courts it would be called perverting the course of justice.

Just another step on a clearly defined trajectory, e.g. the illegal prorogation of parliament, today’s clearly corrupt rewrite of parliamentary standards, Johnson lying to the Queen (along with everyone else), the blatant multi-£bn corruption and fraud throughout the covid 19 pandemic, breaking international law over Brexit, breaking international law regarding refugee safety, breaking international law over the GFA, burying/absolving war crimes, ramping up state snooping, eroding civil rights, ramping up nationalism, xenophobia, clamping down on protest with police state powers, trying to seize control of the media etc etc etc. It is a near endless list.

Tory voters really need to wake the hell up and realise exactly what they are enabling. This is not a ‘conservative party’ at all. It is now an entirely different thing.

As I read this thread, it took until Tony's post above before anyone properly assigned this latest shit show, not just to typical Tory greed and self interest, but to a much more insidious long term process. That process started with Johnson smarting from being told in no uncertain terms, by the Judiciary, by Parliament and by many in his own party, that he simply could not dictate to all and sundry from a position of parliamentary minority. That was the point when the spoilt selfish arse decided that he would, given the opportunity, change the Law, and Parliament, to suit himself. This was declared, hidden in plain sight, in the Tory manifesto.. and they have been quietly working on it since.

This sickening episode, as bad as it is, is just another step in Johnson and Co's plan to undermine the supremacy of Parliament, the democratic process, and an INDEPENDENT judiciary.

Be under no illusion.. they have declared war on the British people, and as such they now have to win or see themselves out of office, and possibly even in gaol. Do not expect any quarter from amoral shits like Johnson, Rees-Mogg and their familiars. These really are dangerous times.

Until today I thought we were certainly looking at the end of a tory government at the next election. I suspect that today might mark the beginning of the end of the tory party.

People have been steadily predicting the end of the Republican party in the USA ever since Trump got the nomination in 2016.... but no, its just keeps going, getting worse and more outrageous all the time. And people keep voting for it as they did yesterday in Virginia. Same thing is happening here.

This was declared, hidden in plain sight, in the Tory manifesto.. and they have been quietly working on it since.

This sickening episode, as bad as it is, is just another step in Johnson and Co's plan to undermine the supremacy of Parliament, the democratic process, and an INDEPENDENT judiciary.

Just to underline this, and how overt it is, it’s on page 48 of the 2019 manifesto, available here. Also mentioned are government use of big data and vowing to bury the Leveson enquiry.

I believe I read that the slithy Gove was mostly behind that page.

People have been steadily predicting the end of the Republican party in the USA ever since Trump got the nomination in 2016.... but no, its just keeps going, getting worse and more outrageous all the time. And people keep voting for it as they did yesterday in Virginia. Same thing is happening here.

I'm not so sure. Swathes of thoroughly pissed off traditional Conservative voters are peeling off right now, and have been for months. An old mate of mine who is straight-talking working class Plaistow cockney to the quick, and from a family of lifelong conservative voters (I know, life's full of surprises) virtually had to be pulled off of his constituency chairman's throat the other day.

I'm almost saddened that there is no local Tory arsehole for me to 'inform of my displeasure'..
My local Conservatives are all hiding behind 'Donate Now' or similar.. which sort of sums them up...

Tory voters really need to wake the hell up and realise exactly what they are enabling. This is not a ‘conservative party’ at all. It is now an entirely different thing.

I agree, but what chance of there is that? The main problem here is not the Tories, but the electorate who are enabling this crap and are showing no sign of waking up.

dark times ahead, The UK is going the way of Hungary.

AKsoud1.jpg

“We’ll he would, wouldn’t he?”.

Well, I couldn’t vote for alternatives I regard as hopeless just because I couldn’t vote for the party I would traditionally vote for. We need a ‘none of the above’ on the ballot.

This is pretty much the same as abstaining on the vote in Parliament; i.e. not really doing a great deal to stop the rot.

I'm sure Princess NutNuts is behind this ,she wants
more money for the flat and another Mustique holiday

It’s blatant and not good. You’d think they would be comprehensively kicked out at the next election but doubt that will happen. I couldn’t vote for them in an election next week but couldn’t vote for anyone else either.
We are where we are because people voted for this shower of devious shit last time

Reactions: PsB
For all the thousands of words I’ve heard calling for natural justice and a right of appeal, I’ve heard none saying what Patterson’s grounds for such an appeal would be. He was found guilty of the most egregious breach of parliamentary rules on lobbying. If he is t guilty as found, what are the grounds on which he is innocent?

Well, I couldn’t vote for alternatives I regard as hopeless just because I couldn’t vote for the party I would traditionally vote for. We need a ‘none of the above’ on the ballot.
You thought Johnson was above corruption at the last election?

advertisement

Back