advertisement

Tory corruption & sleaze (lobbying, second jobs, dodgy contracts etc)

The Praetorian Guard auctioned off the position of Emperor. The political rot also extended to the Senate which failed to temper the excesses of Emperors due to its own widespread corruption and incompetence. As the situation worsened, civic pride waned and many Roman citizens lost trust in their leadership...

Courtesy of Coldwar Steve.
https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1455965885466820610

FDShQJbWEAAZT6q

What we are watching today is straight from the Fascist recipe book, this is how they begin, exactly like we saw today. If you lie down to this shit, you’re finished.

My p**s is reaching boiling point with this lot.
Sure he is guilty
Sure he has admitted it all
Sure he should be suspended
But, he is a Tory and he needs his snout in that trough

And reading the list of Tories in favourof the vote , two of them actually had the surname Bacon. In other times , this would have given me a chuckle but my sense of humour is currently on holiday.

Godwin’s Law is dying.

A few years ago the Rabid Right Wingers were caught about breaking the rules. Now they’re remaking the rules

Hitler was imprisoned for breaking the Law, then he made the Law.

Godwin’s dead

Indeed. We really do need to understand exactly where we are now politically. How far right the map has moved. Previously corrupt Tory MPs, e.g. Archer, Aitkin etc etc actually spent time in jail for their criminality. Britain Trump has just allowed the law to be broken or rewritten to cover his party’s ongoing criminality and corruption. We can likely expect Trump-style election-rigging, using the police to gas protests etc etc next. To my eyes this is no longer a legitimate government. It has no connection to democracy, accountability or the rule of law.

I liked the Emily Thornberry quote on the TV news "This would make even Trump blush"
Anyone got a link to Amazon's pitchfork and flaming torches sales ?

It's a good job Paterson has so many character witnesses (see section 9.11, here), otherwise one might suspect that he was a wrong 'un.

theguardian.com/healthcare-firm-advised-by-owen-paterson-won-133m-coronavirus-testing-contract-unopposed
Convicted sexual predator Elphicke also enjoyed character witnesses within the party. This isn’t just about circling the wagons round Patterson. There are dozens of Pattersons hiding inside in the Tory Party who voted today to prevent their own scrutiny.

edit: just saw Rana’s post.

Boris was exceptional today at PMQ. This poor man has lost his wife to suicide because of what he has done and should be let off. You really, really, couldn’t make this up. I feel for Spitting Image: they have nowhere to go when morality is abandoned.

This must be the party line then.

I heard another prominent Tory on Radio 4's "PM" programme. In response to the presenter asking if this was yet another example of "One law for them and another law for the rest of us" ? He vehemently denied this, stating that all they wanted to do was make sure that Owen Paterson got "what everyone else in the country is entitled to"..."Natural Justice".

Not a legal process, not the rule of law (which the rest of us are actually bound by) but some kind of "Natural Justice" where a chap's friends decide whether he has suffered enough already.

This lot are out of control.

This must be the party line then.

I heard another prominent Tory on Radio 4's "PM" programme. In response to the presenter asking if this was yet another example of "One law for them and another law for the rest of us" ? He vehemently denied this, stating that all they wanted to do was make sure that Owen Paterson got "what everyone else in the country is entitled to"..."Natural Justice".

Not a legal process, not the rule of law (which the rest of us are actually bound by) but some kind of "Natural Justice" where a chap's friends decide whether he has suffered enough already.

This lot are out of control.
A lot of employment tribunals and the like are never bound by the same weight of evidence that the true legal process requires, so the Tories are just moving the goalposts for one of their own.

It's not just Trump,Orban and the rest the neo-fascist Tories are taking their cues from, it's Putin. Do you what you want, lie and gaslight about it and laugh at and troll the powerless people who oppose you.

Until today I thought we were certainly looking at the end of a tory government at the next election. I suspect that today might mark the beginning of the end of the tory party.

The unthinkable became the unspeakable and now the unspeakable is becoming Tory policy.
This corruption policy would be far more difficult to propose if Labour had a leader but they don't have a leader they have that nice, unassuming, chap, what's his name, you know the one your mum would like (if only she knew he existed).
Labour should appoint one of leading female MPs like Rayner or Philips, someone who understands the public, someone who can articulate the damage these liars are causing in way the public gets.
Until Starmer goes the Tories will continue unchallenged to do what the hell they want without recourse to anything or anyone.

22 Tory MPs who were investigated or punished by Parliament's watchdog joined the vote to overhaul it

https://www.businessinsider.com/22-...atchdog-vote-to-overhaul-it-2021-11?r=US&IR=T

Hmmm, even paterson was allowed to vote against his own conviction and sentence.

Maybe this finally will activate Labour into campaign mode.

Until today I thought we were certainly looking at the end of a tory government at the next election. I suspect that today might mark the beginning of the end of the tory party.

We can always hope !

No, I believe it marks the beginning of something far more sinister. Where America has gone, Britain will follow and I don’t think we have seen anything like what could happen here since 1642.

advertisement

Back