advertisement

top ten iconic CD players

Back in the 80s I alway coveted the Technics SLP 1200. No idea how it sounded but it looked the nuts back then

Some come to mind
Sony ES (for the Germans among us: with Swoboda-mods); built like tanks
Naim CDS/CDI and the CD3; revolutionary transports
Micromega SOLO; when I saw this at the time... :cool:
Marantz CD80: never heard one, but seemed impressive at the time
NjoeTjoeb: VFM!

dCS Verdi Elgar stack

end of

maxresdefault-2.jpg

The early Phillips and Marantz models (104, iirc?) and a mention for the Rotel 965 which was one of *the* players in the 90s at modest cost and that still bears comparison with the best of any era.

Yup, I’d suggest the Philips CD104. One of (the?) first front/tray loading players, and one of (the??) first mass market players, but still in a bullet proof metal casing.

Yup, I’d suggest the Philips CD104. One of (the?) first front/tray loading players, and one of (the??) first mass market players, but still in a bullet proof metal casing.
The Sony CDP-101 was tray loading too, so that was the first.

But yes, I agree that the 104 probably deserves a place in the top 10. It sold really well and sounds good.

Not iconic, but I mention it on the basis that it still works, is my budget model Philips CD 150.

I love the look of all the 47 Labs gear. I'd have one of their CD players if I could afford one.

I had the Shigaraki, beautiful but rubbish.
You have to press a button for a few seconds to get the table of contents and in my copy it had to be a precise amount of time, otherwise it wouldn't work...
Built with cheap parts (mine used the laser assembly of a Sharp boombox) and no particular care.
Keep away if possible.
I want to like 47 Labs stuff too, but then I look at what's in the pretty cases and the price and think "No, sorry. This is a base model Ford Fiesta with a body kit, go faster stripes and a marketing department telling me it's worth a Porsche-sized price tag. It's not."

I'm with Dave Cattlin on the dCS stack. Iconic as the first player using the Ring Dac. In a similar way, I'd perhaps add the Arcam FMJ player - the first 'affordable' one-box player to use the Ring Dac technology.

I want to like 47 Labs stuff too, but then I look at what's in the pretty cases and the price and think "No, sorry. This is a base model Ford Fiesta with a body kit, go faster stripes and a marketing department telling me it's worth a Porsche-sized price tag. It's not."
The 47 Labs stuff somehow makes me think of the KLF doing Doctorin' the Tardis, just a piss take to see how far they could go. It's the buyers that might as well burn all their cash though.

advertisement

Back