advertisement

top ten iconic CD players

That’s because your whole system was curtailed for the LP12. Many made that mistake, believing CD was crap because of their turntable. This phenomenon was particularly acute in the UK… less so elsewhere where the Linn wasn’t so present.
Care to elaborate what you mean by curtailed? I still have the same LP12 now and CD sounds much better with Densen B-440XS. I'm not in the UK by the way, so I'm not familiar with the phenomenon to which you refer.

Mignun, must be a territory thing, ive never seen that Hitachi or any player like it.

In some markets it was only available under the Lo-D badge, and in others as a Denon (D-2000?). There was also a player from JVC (XL-V1), a Dual (can't recall the model) and a few others that I can now no longer recall that had a slightly differently laid out fascia but were the same Hitachi machine under the skin.

I remember being very excited to hear the new Compact Disc but it seemed an age before players were available to see and even hear. The first one I knew of was the Hitachi DA-1000 which was presented with great fanfare in the electronics department of Harrods - yours truly went expressly to see it and try to hear it.

I heard that most all of the early players broke down pretty quickly (the Hitachi DAC chips, IIRC) and were then replaced with with players that used Burr Brown chips in their place. My own DA-1000 was a replacement machine that was flown in directly from Japan as it still has all the British Airways labels all over the carton.

This kind of rapid on-the-fly development was quite common with the early 1st Gen players; just take a look at the very first Philips CD100s against the later ones, or the first Technics SL-P10, which I was told by their UK Sales manager was essentially a hasty lash-up at first and very different under the skin from one month to the next. For that reason alone, these early players are really fascinating.

Another CD player, which must be seen as truly iconic was the Cambridge CD1. It's still an amazing player, even today.

Care to elaborate what you mean by curtailed? I still have the same LP12 now and CD sounds much better with Densen B-440XS. I'm not in the UK by the way, so I'm not familiar with the phenomenon to which you refer.
The LP12s I listened to - I never did get to buying one - were very gentle on the ears, a little dull perhaps. Even with K18!
You really needed to boost up treble a bit, one way or another. That was the case for many vinyl setups too.

Can you try a Philips or Sony first generation player today? Not the last word in imagery or definition, but very musical and sweet.

That’s because your whole system was curtailed for the LP12. Many made that mistake, believing CD was crap because of their turntable. This phenomenon was particularly acute in the UK… less so elsewhere where the Linn wasn’t so present.

I first heard a CD player (early Philips) at a dealer that didn't sell Linn. They sold Meridian, Mission and Pink Triangle amongst others. I thought the CD player sounded shite compared to a PT as well. In fact my memory of the Thorens I had at the time into a Rotel amp was preferable. I suspect it's true that most amps in the early/mid 80s didn't show cd in it's best light but Philips etc must've known the sort of gear that most people would get to hear their products through.

I think a Rotel 965BX would slip in here. Not expensive but built like a tank with a great balance of virtues. It has a real honesty. I prefer it to the Marantz CD63 KI SE which was all the rage around this time.it also makes a very good transport.
I listened to a Rotel 965 and a Marantz 63 back to back for a week. The Ro tel was better. I also had a Denon 1015 that was indistinguishable from the Marantz. A local dealer was doing SOR for a week, I paid for all 3 and returned 2 for refund. We were all happy.

Iconic? Not sure. But certainly distinctive for the time. I put forward the Philips CD303 (an example of which I bought in late 1983 and still works):
An enthusiast wielding a modern Audio Precision tester shows that it's not competitive on noise floor but otherwise technically not too shabby at all. The Philips and Sony engineers knew their stuff.
That may well be the model my pal bought. His dad owned a farm and employed him for the summer of 83 or 84. Mark worked his ears off and had the £600 he needed to buy a CD player. He was the first of us to get one, we were all insanely jealous. It didn't matter that there were only a dozen CD s or so available or that they cost about £13 a go when basic agric labour pay for a 16 yo was £1 an hour. It was the dog's and we all knew that this was the future.

I first heard a CD player (early Philips) at a dealer that didn't sell Linn. They sold Meridian, Mission and Pink Triangle amongst others. I thought the CD player sounded shite compared to a PT as well. In fact my memory of the Thorens I had at the time into a Rotel amp was preferable. I suspect it's true that most amps in the early/mid 80s didn't show cd in it's best light but Philips etc must've known the sort of gear that most people would get to hear their products through.
I have a different experience. What I heard at the dealer’s was extremely good. I think it was a full Quad system but I’m not sure. It was a long time ago!
My vintage CD machines from Philips especially (82-85, before true 16 bit machines were produced) sound fair really.
That said, I have a few CDs from 82-84 that sound really bad, either shouty or awfully dull, like the ubiquitous Brothers in Arms, whereas the LP (first pressing) has always sounded excellent.
Not so simple.

Coolest?

1098sftrns.jpg

IMHO, these lists are very personal of course.

Iconic? Well I have to add:

Rotel 965BX. For me, it's iconic because it is a stealthy machine. Already mentioned by others.

Another is the Marantz CD52 Special Edition.
Plasticky yes but it showed the door to the Mission PCM7000 I had.

Finally, the Meridian 208. Just lovely.

The CD52 is just a Philips player really. No wonder it’s good. Listen to a cheap Philips CD618 or to a posher Quad CD66… all the same at heart!
Quad knew what they were doing.
Ok there you go:
63337a.jpg

file.php

advertisement

Back