advertisement

top ten iconic CD players

Got to go by what my ears flap at.

Had mine a while now. Gorgeous sound, and since I have been playing with various headphones for the last month or so, the Blak is even better than I first thought. Quite a chunk as well.

2016_07_07_roksan_blak_cd.jpg

Krell KPS-20i
99krelli.jpg

Teac VRDS players
teac_vrds-7_cd_player.jpg

Meridian 200 series or perhaps 500 series
meridian-506-20-bit-cd-player.preview.jpg

and Micromega Stage series (as most commonly seen, with the lid off) ;-)
062_-1862611441.jpg

As previously mentioned ,the Micromega Solo if that’s the one with the glass lid was very cool.

Linn CD12 surely?

The Electrocompaniet EMC UP is it? They have quite a following too.

The desktop Technics job from the 80s at a push

The 47 Labs stuff somehow makes me think of the KLF doing Doctorin' the Tardis, just a piss take to see how far they could go. It's the buyers that might as well burn all their cash though.
If and when I get my amplifier built a 47 Labs style makeover ought to be in prospect. At the moment it's a bit bland and based on a repurposed grey rectangular case with a heatsink on either side, which is a bit unimaginative. A funky front panel would cost next to nothing and would help it no end.

Naim’s pivoting door mech & puck e.g. CDI, CDX etc clearly needs to be here somewhere. I really liked it as it removes belts and nylon draw-mech gears from the ‘inevitable failure’ list, but they dropped the ball in making it possible to lose the puck inside the player. 6/10, good effort.

Naim’s pivoting door mech & puck e.g. CDI, CDX etc clearly needs to be here somewhere. I really liked it as it removes belts and nylon draw-mech gears from the ‘inevitable failure’ list, but they dropped the ball in making it possible to lose the puck inside the player. 6/10, good effort.

Yes they missed the puck recovery 'cat flap' from the design!

I think that for one of the ten places I would propose the Cambridge Audio CD3 by Stan Curtis.

Rega's Planet is likely more iconic, but if I disregarded by own rules I'd want to include the Isis in the list.

Joe

Philips CD 100
Micromega CD F1
Philips CD 850
Meridian 508.24
and then it was a matter of cost, but I'd not add Esoteric whatever the myth...ear bleeding time i always thought.

Most certainly.
The CD960 is a very good shout because not only is it an excellent player in it's own right but it's also the basis for numerous other legendary players such as the Marantz CD94, CD12, CD99, CDR95, Wadia WT3200, Micro Seiki CD-M2 and CD-M100 etc.

advertisement

Back