advertisement

top ten iconic CD players

The Linn Karik was the first CD player I heard that sounded actually good.

The early CD players and most of the CDs were pretty bad but there was so much of the emporer's new clothes about it all. Naim CDS for me but my first CD player was a ghetto blaster in 93 because nothing sensible beat my cheap Akai record deck at my near zero budget.

Hitachi DA-1000. This one actually managed to beat the Philips CD-100 and Sony CDP-101 into shops in a number of territories. Was there ever a player that was more badge engineered? In the very early day, just about anyone who wanted a CD player in their range but who couldn't stretch to developing their own turned to Hitachi to sort them out with a facelifted DA-1000.

The vertical loading door was rather cool - especially as it allowed you to see the disc spin, and is perhaps iconic for that just on its own - but sadly didn't catch on.

HITACHI%2BDA-1000.jpg

Marantz KI Pearl Lite (sic).

Because I've got one.

Not that it sees much action these days. Superseded, innit?

Mignun, must be a territory thing, ive never seen that Hitachi or any player like it.

That gets my vote too. It's the first CD-P that made CDs sound analogue to my ears.
Try an old Philips player again. You might be surprised.
Trouble is, much of what people heard when CD was introduced was down to what came after them. Going back to old players today is a revelation. I find my CD100, CD202, and CD300 (among others) sound sweet, mellow.

Three CD-players that impressed me:

-Marantz CD-80
-TEAC X-1
-Rega Planet (I still have mine)

I would name the CD-80 and Planet iconic. The X-1 less so, but it is a fine example of 1990's battleship style players.

cd-80.JPG

Teac_X-1-Prospekt-1990.jpg

I’ve had a few, actually embarrassingly more than a few, CD players over the years. The only ones that are iconic in that their design is memorable are the original Philips CD104(?) and the Quad 66 and 67 players. I’m still using the Quad 67, still sounds fine through an external DAC although the drawer doesn’t open automatically anymore; a tilt control knob from an old Quad 44 on the front of the drawer allows me to operate it manually!

Trouble is, much of what people heard when CD was introduced was down to what came after them. Going back to old players today is a revelation. I find my CD100, CD202, and CD300 (among others) sound sweet, mellow.
Haven't heard any of those Philips. My first CD-P was a Mission PCM-7000. I think it has a Philips CDM-2 transport and TDA-1541 DAC chip. It sounded awful to me compared to records on my LP12. Almost put me off CDs altogether.

I totally agree. On Thursday I heard a £7500 Canary CD-300 in my system and it didn't disgrace my Philips CD-100 at all.

You're lucky if Poing! from the Rotterdam Termination Source didn't reach your shores... Must say, it was excellent on CD :D
One of my favourite musical moments was hearing the disdain in Steve Wright’s voice when this was inexplicably played on daytime Radio 1. I still give it a spin when in the right mood. About 15 minutes gabber at a time is enough these days.

From personal experience...

Fair priced, bullet proof and decent sound.

Mararantz CD73, 74 and 84.
Sony CDP 302ES.

I know it’s two boxes, but I would throw the Meridian 200/203 combo in the mix. Thought it was a fun little bit of kit.

Haven't heard any of those Philips. My first CD-P was a Mission PCM-7000. I think it has a Philips CDM-2 transport and TDA-1541 DAC chip. It sounded awful to me compared to records on my LP12. Almost put me off CDs altogether.
That’s because your whole system was curtailed for the LP12. Many made that mistake, believing CD was crap because of their turntable. This phenomenon was particularly acute in the UK… less so elsewhere where the Linn wasn’t so present.

advertisement

Back