advertisement

Top 5 Integrated Amps

Thank you for your thoughts @Arkless Electronics Whilst the idea of an A1000 appeals to me I note that there aren't too many about and I am a bit squeamish about the prospect of having it re built. I hear where you are coming from re SMDs and microprocessor control it is frustrating when a perfectly serviceable item can be scuppered by a non functioning controller or a blank screen (2015 Naim kit falls in to this category) leaving you to navigate a maze blind folded just to change a simple parameter.

How does one decide this was my first thought. Then I thought which integrated amps had a significant impact and the original Nait did, it wasn't the first integrated or the best but it introduced many people to the British interpretation of what a good hi-fi amp needed building on the pathfinding the NAD 3020 undertook before. These weren't the only fabulous affordable integrated of their era. Rightly or wrongly, they had a more significant impact than many of the contemporary integrated amps I believe. Whilst I never owned one, I thought the Onix OA21 was a fabulous integrated and if I hadn't already got a 42/110 would have seriously considered it.

I have never owned an Exposure amp but have an XV on its way to me. The prices of Exposure integrateds here in the USA was so much better than Naim that I could not pass it up after reading this thread!
One other integrated I would like to note (vintage) is the Eico HF81. These are old (late 50’s) but astounded as to how lovely they sound.

I’ve only had two integrated, one at either end of my hifi history. Loved/love them both. Sugden A4811 and a Lyngdorf 3400.

I have never owned an Exposure amp but have an XV on its way to me. The prices of Exposure integrateds here in the USA was so much better than Naim that I could not pass it up after reading this thread!
One other integrated I would like to note (vintage) is the Eico HF81. These are old (late 50’s) but astounded as to how lovely they sound.
XV or XV Super? Either way, nice find.

did you snag that one at something like 350 bucks? That was tempting

There's a sugden a21A on ebay at the mo - how are those regarded? What would be a fair price? I know sugdens get a lot of love, but I'm never sure if that is consistent across all models/years.

Marantz PM4
Sugden A21A
Berning ZH270
Lavardin IS-Ref
Lavardin IT-15

Last edited:
There's a sugden a21A on ebay at the mo - how are those regarded? What would be a fair price? I know sugdens get a lot of love, but I'm never sure if that is consistent across all models/years.
The one on eBay looks like a great example.

Leben CS600
Lavardin IT
Mark Levinson 585
T&A 3100HV ( or similar can’t quite recall model number as it hardly slips off the tongue !)

Any excuse to show off this amp.

VpTliGu.jpg

My top 5 integrateds, each chosen to fit a system and a purpose, but of their type, the best 5 I ever heard were:
Luxman L509X
Pass labs INT 60
Leben L300
Sugden A21
Creek 4040

all for different reasons and different budget ofc.

Any excuse to show off this amp.

Please excuse my ignorance - which model is that? I had a £200 creek integrated briefly last year, and adored it. 2 things put me off - the speaker sockets were impossible to use with my slanted banana plugs, and the top of the casework rattled so much I was convinced I could hear it when certain notes played! :D

advertisement

Back