advertisement

Top 5 Integrated Amps

I can vouch for the Roksan Caspian M2 integrated amp. Whether it would make the top 5, I don't know but around its price range it is a very good contender..

Accuphase - all superb
Rega Osiris
Copland, can’t remember model numbers
Heed Obelisk Si
47 Labs Shigaraki
Sugden A21, the most basic one

Out of those, I owned a Shigaraki for a while, so I did put my money where my mouth is. What would I buy now? Sugden.

Accuphase - all superb
Rega Osiris
Copland, can’t remember model numbers
Heed Obelisk Si
47 Labs Shigaraki
Sugden A21, the most basic one

Out of those, I owned a Shigaraki for a while, so I did put my money where my mouth is. What would I buy now? Sugden.

Tempted by Rega ... can't quite afford the Osiris!

NVA are launching a new integrated within the next couple of months, I believe. In understand a prototype is currently being trialled. That's very likely to be where my Hi-Fi budget goes this year, if listening go well anyway.

Interesting how long this has run. There are clearly dozens of top five amps :). I always seem to like whatever I currently have - in this case Pathos Classic One Mk III.

Not many call outs for Musical Fidelity, How do these rate? They look good on paper.

M6si
M6si500
M8Xi

I seem to recall @Arkless Electronics preferring the older stuff, but not sure if the modern stuff was good?

Not many call outs for Musical Fidelity, How do these rate? They look good on paper.

M6si
M6si500
M8Xi

I seem to recall @Arkless Electronics preferring the older stuff, but not sure if the modern stuff was good?
The Musical Fidelity A1 was outstanding sound wise. Problem was it tends to overheat and many of them got destroyed because of that. A simple regular maintenance and change a few small components for better capacity in terms of voltage and temperature would have saved these little gems.

M6si
M6si500
M8Xi

I've little doubt it sounds fantastic but I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole personally. The old gear could be rebuilt to be very reliable but the new stuff has the same "cheap as possible" build quality combined with SMD's and microprocessors etc...

Some of the higher end older stuff was amongst the best sounding gear ever made in this country and is well worth the rebuild costs:)
To be fair pretty much any amp made in say 1990 is well past its best and could do with a rebuild and recap, it's just that as much of the MF gear ran hot and used cheaper parts in many instances it tends to be more erm urgently in need of a rebuild than some rivals.

The Musical Fidelity A1 was outstanding sound wise. Problem was it tends to overheat and many of them got destroyed because of that. A simple regular maintenance and change a few small components for better capacity in terms of voltage and temperature would have saved these little gems.

They don't "overheat" as such.... more like they are intended to run that hot and they all do, hence the heat causing problems after just a few years. They need a complete rebuild basically and then can be fairly reliable. I was never too keen on the sound myself... too "soft, mellow and valvey" for me. Much prefer the A100 and the B200.

They don't "overheat" as such.... more like they are intended to run that hot and they all do, hence the heat causing problems after just a few years. They need a complete rebuild basically and then can be fairly reliable. I was never too keen on the sound myself... too "soft, mellow and valvey" for me. Much prefer the A100 and the B200.
By the way, I'm still very impressed by my fully refurbished and optimized P170 thanks to your recommendation ! :D

advertisement

Back