advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

As an update - Joe Harley has had official confirmation that the Tone Poet series will be running for a second year as sales have far exceeded expectations and UMG/Universal are more than happy with the situation. Second year titles haven’t been decided yet, except for one teaser which is likely to be an expanded double LP version of Bobby Hutcherson’s The Kicker. Looking forward to that one.

Still haven’t received my copy of Contours yet, seems USA market served first.

As an update - Joe Harley has had official confirmation that the Tone Poet series will be running for a second year as sales have far exceeded expectations and UMG/Universal are more than happy with the situation. Second year titles haven’t been decided yet, except for one teaser which is likely to be an expanded double LP version of Bobby Hutcherson’s The Kicker. Looking forward to that one.

Still haven’t received my copy of Contours yet, seems USA market served first.

Good to hear that this is now officially confirmed by Joe Harley. It will be interesting to see what is finally on the list, but The Kicker seems like a good start.

My last contact with Amazon France where I ordered (and think you said you did Graham?) as it was much cheaper said 30th April to 2nd May delivery for Contours. The way the delivery dates, at least in Europe, are slipping I think we may still be waiting for half of the 2019 releases well into 2020? :( Still I would still rather they stick with the very high pressing quality from RTI than sub it out to some other plant to increase production capacity.

Yes, it’s disappointing how the dates are slipping, but like yourself I’m ok with that if it means the quality doesn’t drop. It looks like this series is more popular than Blue Note expected.

My last contact with Amazon France where I ordered (and think you said you did Graham?) as it was much cheaper said 30th April to 2nd May delivery for Contours. The way the delivery dates, at least in Europe, are slipping I think we may still be waiting for half of the 2019 releases well into 2020? :( Still I would still rather they stick with the very high pressing quality from RTI than sub it out to some other plant to increase production capacity.

Hopefully Amazon France will eventually come up with the goods, at least they haven’t cancelled yet, although I only used them as the initial price was very low. For future titles I’m contacting Alan at Jazzhouse with a list. I too would rather wait for RTI pressings than risk inferior European pressings. So far my success rate of good pressings with RTI (Music Matters, Tone Poet and AP) has been 100%. Wish I could say the same regarding Pallas and Optimal.

I ordered the Sam Rivers from Amazon this morning, should be with me tomorrow. All the others that were due to be released today seem to have slipped back to May.

My Contours has left Amazon Fr, 25 euros inc! Let's hope it arrives in one piece. It's replacing a Heavenly Sweetness, which isn't bad - just a bit tame.

Playing the Sam Rivers now. My copy has a very low level, almost sub-sonic “click” at the beginning of Side 2 for around 30 seconds - anyone else noticed that? I wasn’t familiar with this album but pleased to say that it’s proving to be an excellent discovery.

Listening to my copy of the Sam Rivers now. What a stunning mastering. I can’t wait for the next release.

A bit of pre-echo at the beginning of side one, but that could be the original tape. I didn’t notice a subsonic click on side two.

Contours is a great record, and quite new to me. Strange that I've managed to let such an exceptional tenor and soprano player pass me by, even though he plays on enough records that I've heard. Cleary I need to listen more widely and read more, rather than just ploughing the same Coltrane and Miles orientated paths continuously.

The tonal balance of the recording seems a little different to the two previous Tone Poet releases; I'm finding that Rivers and Hubbard are more spotlit, and the rhythm section a little more recessed. The lower drums and bass are quite low in the mix, I think.

Mine has just arrived from France, 12.30 Sunday, delivery by Amazon. Only a large outer box this time and loose paper stuffing, no mailer box as last time, but sleeve and record seem to be fine. A bit under £23 pounds delivered.

SWIMBO has some jobs for me :( but I am looking forward to giving it a spin ASAP. :) I'm familiar with Fuchsia Swing Song, but have never heard this.

Contours is a great record, and quite new to me. Strange that I've managed to let such an exceptional tenor and soprano player pass me by, even though he plays on enough records that I've heard. Cleary I need to listen more widely and read more, rather than just ploughing the same Coltrane and Miles orientated paths continuously.

The tonal balance of the recording seems a little different to the two previous Tone Poet releases; I'm finding that Rivers and Hubbard are more spotlit, and the rhythm section a little more recessed. The lower drums and bass are quite low in the mix, I think.

I agree this is a great record with great music. Some outstanding solos and interplay between the musicians especially on the for me really outstanding 'Dance of Tripedal'.

The pressing for the most part has inky black backgrounds again with wonderful detail and microdynamics extending high into the upper frequencies, really noticeable on Joe Chambers cymbals and brush work. My copy does not have the problem Mike reported at the start of side 2, but does have a few 'ticks' in the quiet passage of Euterpe over Ron Carter's Bass, but not enough for me to return it. I'll give it another clean.

Andrew,
I agree with you about the balance, at least on side 1, with Rivers and Hubbard 'spotlit'. The others do not seem to be positioned much further back in the sound stage though, at least compared to the usual Van Gelder engineering, just not really loud enough for their relative positions. I would particularly like a little more volume and low end weight on Herbie Hancock's piano. Side two I found was better (although perhaps still a little 'spotlit' for the last track, mellifluous cacophony) particularly for Euterpe where Rivers plays flute and Hubbard uses a mute. In fact I increased the volume by about 3db on this side and then it sounded great. If I try that on side 1 Rivers & Hubbard are too loud in my room for me and the balance worst. Different sessions when recorded?

Anyway I don't want to complain too much, I expect we may all think we can out do Rudy at times ;). This is still a great record with excellent original engineering and later production and mastering by the Tone Poet team.

Edit: I just checked the later posts re Contours on the Hoffman Forum, but no one comments on the balance there?

Last edited:
This is a recent interview with Joe Chambers, who is now 76, that may be of interest. He talks about recording for Blue Note including a mention of both the recent Tone Poet releases Etcetera and Contours.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/joe-chambers-blue-note-years-interview/

Excellent article, thanks. Some great records mentioned, JC was on most of my favourite BNs. Pity he didn’t have anything to say about John Gilmore on Andrew!! and Compulsion!!!

Regarding Afro-American jazz labels, maybe it’s about time for a Strata East thread.

I’m having another listen to the Sam Rivers release, and it really is stunning on so many levels. The recording is amazing.

I’ve preordered the Cassandra Wilson. She’s someone I’ve liked for a long time - saw her live in 2001 or so - and the people in the States who’ve already received the recording seem very enthusiastic about it.

My copy of Contours has been delivered to my workplace, but I’m not there this week. I’ll feed back when I can.

As a side issue, for those interested in British Jazz, the Landsdowne session of Guy Warren has been reissued with estate consent by Back to Analogue. I’ve taken a punt, as I really want to here this cream of British jazz classic. Honest Jon’s have more blurb and a few copies left.

Cassandra Wilson Glamoured not heard a original but the new kevin gray version does sound rather good
new moon daughter & blue light till dawn are worth seeking out as well

advertisement

Back